Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you clean cigarette holders?

Decayla

New in Town
I hope I am posting in the right place. I appologize if not. I looked through the threads on here and can't find a question on how to clean cigarette holders. If there is already a thread pls point me in the right direction.

I bought a cigarette holder from ebay and when I got it, it had a horrid smell. I wanted to thoroughly clean it because I planned on using it. I have tried many techniques and each has failed. I dont expect the smell to go away because I assume it will not. I at least want to do what I can to lessen the awful smell and make sure its completely sanitized before I put my mouth on that thing!

Decayla

New in Town
How to clean?

Miss Neecerie said:
I think in order to give appropriate advice here...we need to know -what- it is made of.

I mean a metal holder could be boiled in water, but say ivory....that wouldn't be the best choice.

So what is it made of?

From what its made out of and with the stones I cant boil it :( I took pictures so you can see inside. Im not sure how to clean inside the plastic black piece. The hole is soooooooo tiny. Inside the metal part, no problem. I just don't know what would be safe to use without damaging it.

3-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

1.jpg

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
This site seems to have a bunch of different pipe cleaners that could possibly fit in the hole of the black part. Here is a link to their thin pipe cleaners http://www.tinderbox.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1420/.f I think if you dip the pipe cleaner is some warm soapy water clean in there and then follow it up with another pipe cleaner dipped in just water it might do the job. Hopefully that help it's a beautiful cigarette holder.

duggap

Banned
I don't know if it would be of any help but you could buy a brush that is small enough to go inside a cigarette holder. Try a gun shop for the brush.[huh]

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
I work in a tobacco shop and there are tapered pipe cleaners that may be small enough to fit in the cigarette holder. If not, then there are also small bristle brushes you can find at a hobby store or as mentioned above a gun shop. There is a cleaner for pipes called Clean and Cure. You can dip a pipe cleaner in there and use it to scrub the inside of the holder. Everclear can be used also. It's high alcohol content will help get rid of any crud and odors. Just allow ample time for it to dry out. Hope this helps. By the way, if the hole is too small on the end, try it from the other end as far as the pipe cleaner will go. A thick needle and thread soaked in the stuff my even work for the hole if it's that narrow.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I use...

...pipe cleaners and whiskey to clean my pipe. I figure I don't want to put anything in my pipe I wouldn't want in my mouth!! That might work for a cigarette holder.

Decayla

New in Town
How to clean cigarette holders?

Thank you everybody. What great suggestions! I will try what you have suggested. I will buy the special brushes. Sanitizing it with liquor is a good idea too! Your right...I wouldn't want to put anything on it that I wouldn't put in my mouth. Thanks guys!

OddSteve

Familiar Face
When I used to smoke pipes I cleaned their mouthpieces from time to time with pipe cleaners dipped in isopropyl alcohol. It's a great solvent for tar and other residues from smoking.
You should get it at your local pharmacy.

djhatman

One of the Regulars
Can you fit a metal hanger threw the hold? If so bend it straight and then heat it up over the stove or with a lighter. Run the hanger threw several times. Remembering to keep it warm to hot. That should do a good job of cleaning it out and reduce the smell after it cools back down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran