Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a girl keep warm?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
olive bleu said:
About 7 years ago, i started wearing boots from LL Bean, and last year i finally caved and bought the long down-filled coat that i've been craving from Bean as well. I am finally toasty.

LL Bean also keeps me warm in bed, with those lovely duvets. I think it was one catalogue ago they did a nautical collection, and some of the pieces could easily be worked into a vintage "Hello Sailor!" kind of look. :)

SayCici

Practically Family
Plaid is always popular! I love it. I'm not sure why fashion magazines make it seem like it goes in and out of vogue, we've been wearing it, at least in America, since the Victorian era (in women's clothing).

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Could anyone give me a shove in the right direction? I'm looking for a winter hat that won't smash my rolls down or mush them out of place, but will still keep my head and ears warm. I did pretty well with wrapping a knitted scarf around my head last year, but I'm sure that must be something that looks and works better. I've got some grey wool fabric I was thinking about making a big hood with a skirt (for lack of a better word) to also keep my neck warm, but I can't seem to locate anything that says if this is or isn't a 40s-type option. Help!!! :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Helysoune said:
Could anyone give me a shove in the right direction? I'm looking for a winter hat that won't smash my rolls down or mush them out of place, but will still keep my head and ears warm. I did pretty well with wrapping a knitted scarf around my head last year, but I'm sure that must be something that looks and works better. I've got some grey wool fabric I was thinking about making a big hood with a skirt (for lack of a better word) to also keep my neck warm, but I can't seem to locate anything that says if this is or isn't a 40s-type option. Help!!! :)

I suggest a knitted tam or beret. I've seen them worn in many 40's movies, and I wear them myself over my rolls. They're very warm!

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
C-dot said:
I suggest a knitted tam or beret. I've seen them worn in many 40's movies, and I wear them myself over my rolls. They're very warm!

I agree with c-dot! I've also been using a beret for the winter months. They are very warm and still vintage stylish!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Helysoune said:
I did pretty well with wrapping a knitted scarf around my head last year, but I'm sure that must be something that looks and works better.

Ive always done that. I love hats but Ive never found one that would keep me warm WARM. Hats are cute, but when cold comes I want a living blanket.

I like using a light wool square about (30" squared) folded over and tied beneath my chin. Tie it somewhat loose, the air that circulates around your face and neck is warmed by your body heat. I sometimes tuck the back tab into my coat as well.

Works perfect :)

LD

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I just bought the cutest argyle cardigan at Burlington Coat Factory for only 14 dollars. I love argyle.

I've decided to admit to myself I need more cardigans and in fact probably couldn't have too many if I tried. Right now I have white, black, my new argyle, which is gray with coral red and pink and white, and I need at least at least a couple more.

And possibly argyle sweater vests, though do I have to shop in the boys' department for that?

I have a coat I'm fond of, its very simple long black coat, sort of an unbelted trench, with a liner, and surprisingly warm. It was actually military issue - I sort of want a more feminine, belted, cute coat that gives my curves more va-voom, but I can't blame this coat for warm practicality, and its not a blatantly modern, quilted-and-nylon puffy parka. It's just not "cute," either.

Foofoogal

Banned
I bought a vintage argyle cardigan with blue diamonds and it is a very different blue. I have had it for 2 years and still cannot figure out what to wear under it as a blouse. It has grey also and even the grey is a different color. [huh]

IMHO vest need to make a big comeback also. I love vest. Extra warmness. I am so, so cold natured.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I'm with Lady Day. I actually love the look in films where a gal has a plaid or square check scarf of a flat wool wrapped around her head and then over her shoulders. I have done this once or twice in exceedingly bad weather and stayed warm. I have never tried a folded square, but I'm sure that can look plenty stylish - maybe even find one with fringe?

Helysoune said:

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Helysoune said:

A pixie type hat would work I think? I have been wanting one for years and never had any luck. You could position your rolls inside the point! lol Either way, they are very 40s.

artisthead.jpg

roselily

One of the Regulars
Magdalena said:
I asked my grandma about this and she said she actually wore pants under her dresses:eek: :eusa_doh: (this answer did not satisfy me:mad: ).Probably just as long as the dress or skirt was so it didnt look funny.Do keep in mind though that South Dakota isnt really what you might call a fashion capital.

When my mom was in school they weren't allowed to wear pants, so they wore pants under their dresses to walk to school, then changed in the coatroom.

I love my wool pleated plaid skirts in the winter. Except for the itchy waistbands.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I love tights with wool skirts in winter. I want to find cable stockings, though.

As far as wool skirts go I am going to be looking for tweed and houndstooth, I think. Maybe not houndstooth, I haven't decided yet if I'm brave enough.

SayCici

Practically Family
Boots really weren't made for women in the 30s through 50s. More commonly they would have a pair of rubber galoshes that they would wear over their shoes in rainy or nasty weather.

As for the other articles that can keep a girl warm, this thread is a great resource as is this and this one.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
texasgirl said:
I think argyle is going to be big this fall! :) JCP has some really cute cardigans, and I saw some at Old navy too :)

I agree I love argyle I have so much of it. It never eally goes out of fashion but is has been very easy to find the last couple of year and it super vintage they often make nice wool argyle.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I saw some beautiful winter coats at Ross. One was a double breasted military style, which is supposed to be big this year; another had a furry collar.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Long, classic walking coats are so stylish and warm at the same time. Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods, they're also mostly inconvenient. Can't wear a coat indoors for long (though I keep my house rather cool, but ward off the chill with sweaters, armwarmers, tall thick socks), they're awkward in today's small cars, & sadly, there aren't many opportunities to go walking on business, like when I lived in London.
The other downside - shops keeping their thermostats sooo high in winter! I get all stylishly layered and bundled, but if I spend more than 10 minutes inside a business, I find it sweltering.
Of course, these are the same places that make me bring a cardigan along on a 100 degree summer day......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace