Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Many Hides to Make a Jacket?

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I have heard it takes 30-50 hides to make a leather jacket. Is this so? If it is, what the heck are they doing with all those hides? There is a front panel, back panel, sleeves and details. Where does all the leather go? Is the 30-50 number wrong?

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To use 30-50 hides you'd need one of: terrible quality hides (where you can only use a very small amount of each), a very small animal from which you're taking the hides or an enormous jacket.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
See, that is what i asked the person. If it took 30-50 hides on average to find a few that were suitable. He said it was 30-50 hides used for one jacket. He himself makes clothing for reenactment groups so i thought he might know something. Seemed incredible to me.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
30-50 ferret hides sounds about right? From memory when I asked a maker a few years ago, for a 48-50 possibly 2 hides? They might reject several hides with scars or inconsistent thickness etc in order to find the right quality, but 30-50 hides seems crazy?

You could probably make 30-50 jackets like this from one hide.
nu498-00.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
For my BR, I went through the skins with Murray - just to look at the grain - and if I remember, there was around 15. With goat, you go through a lot more, and god knows how many you need to make a kangaroo jacket. More panels = fewer skins.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
30-50 square feet per jacket.

Square feet is more like it. The guy who told me this was an Aspegers sufferer. They are usually dead on accurate with numbers. Not this time.

The only thing I can think of is it might take a few extra to perfectly match hides.

pawineguy

One Too Many
I can't come up with any more than 15 square feet or so of leather in one of my sized 42 jackets, would be more if it was long or had overlap like in an asymmetrical moto jacket. Obviously that wouldn't include any waste, and I'm sure that's substantial. Then it's a matter of whether you are talking goat, lamb, cow, horse, etc...

avique

One of the Regulars
I recall a similar number being used in a Himel Brothers blog. I believe he indicated that it took between 30-45 sqft to construct a jacket depending on the length. I assume that this includes waste.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I used to know the number Alan at JL called for for a size 40 and it was something in the neighborhood of the above posters sq ft wise. No idea how many animals that is. Hopefully not too many.

AdeeC

Practically Family
I have read on the Aero website that they get more mileage out of their leather in their "real deal" A2's because they they can use unmatched and NQR pieces of leather. Making jackets with an expansive one piece back will also create more wastage. I imagine a Grizzly will use less leather because all the big bits are mouton and the arms are of only modest leather acreage. And if we look for Japanese perfection, that may waste even more than usual.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You can just imagine Buzz Rickson's factory floor: "This skin looks as though it's owner had poor personal hygiene and a bad attitude." "Chuck it!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran