Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much would you pay for a vintage necktie?

How much would you pay for a vintage necktie?

• Total voters

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As with anything else, it would be affected by several factors. I selected $30 or less as a starting point on the poll, but in more detail:

1. Condition of the tie (NOS, well worn, stains or other damage, etc.) are going to affect what I wod be wling to spend
2. Uniqueness or appeal of the cut and pattern and color
3. How badly I really desire the particular tie
4. What I have available to spend at the time I see the tie
5. Sentimental appeal - maybe it's the same tie my grandfather wore in an old family photo
6. Other appeal / provenance - maybe it's the tie an actor or other celebrity wore in a favorite movie or is similarly historic or desirable for similar reasons.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
As with anything else, it would be affected by several factors. I selected $30 or less as a starting point on the poll, but in more detail:

1. Condition of the tie (NOS, well worn, stains or other damage, etc.) are going to affect what I wod be wling to spend
2. Uniqueness or appeal of the cut and pattern and color
3. How badly I really desire the particular tie
4. What I have available to spend at the time I see the tie
5. Sentimental appeal - maybe it's the same tie my grandfather wore in an old family photo
6. Other appeal / provenance - maybe it's the tie an actor or other celebrity wore in a favorite movie or is similarly historic or desirable for similar reasons.

Good points to consider. I would especially apply #s 1, 2, and 4 to myself...

I'm (happily) surprised to see that there are a least five of us who wouldn't normally think of spending more than 3 bucks! Also surprised that quite a few would consider spending over $40. I guess I'm just living in the spirit of Jack Benny.lol

Well, Jack, most of us don't have secret resources like you do. :p
I've spent much more than $40 for a decent tie that is rare and has all the right things on it---name, subject matter and condition. :cool:

All of my vintage ties are through Ebay because I usually don't have much luck at thrift stores. In general when times were better, I believe I would pay about $10 for a tie including shipping. However, if I am in the money and a tie is exceptional I have gone to $20 and a little more. There are certain ties by the design that have the highest appeal to me so depending on the desire and emotional response to the tie i might be tempted to get one that is more expensive but it has to be exceptional. Most ties have to be a balance of desire and value to me.

Keeping in mind I have a hard time believing a 6 pack of beer is more than $5 now even for the good stuff like micro brews. Or that a new car should cost more than $12k.

All of my vintage ties are through Ebay because I usually don't have much luck at thrift stores. In general when times were better, I believe I would pay about $10 for a tie including shipping. However, if I am in the money and a tie is exceptional I have gone to $20 and a little more. There are certain ties by the design that have the highest appeal to me so depending on the desire and emotional response to the tie i might be tempted to get one that is more expensive but it has to be exceptional. Most ties have to be a balance of desire and value to me.

Keeping in mind I have a hard time believing a 6 pack of beer is more than $5 now even for the good stuff like micro brews. Or that a new car should cost more than $12k.

Cars cost more than $12k?!:eek::p

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
I guess I have to count myself among the thrift misers. I don't think I've ever paid more than a dollar for a vintage tie. I do go to an awful lot of thrift stores, yard & estate sales though. The bargains are still out there in the tie world. Not so much for vintage guitars unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou