Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much would you pay..

MattJH

One Too Many
It almost entirely depends on what size it is. Once you get to 7 3/8 and above, the value starts increasing significantly. I saw a 7 5/8 Whippet break $250 just recently on eBay.

Of a much lesser concern is the Stetson Whippet that was labeled as one but was a much later production and isn't the same quality as true vintage Whippets.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Also depends on how bad you really want the hat. If you let it go by, you may kick yourself in the butt, saying you wish you had bought it. If it is indeed a true Vintage Whippet. [huh]

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Condition is, of course, the other thing. Not sure why, but the old Whippets seem to be weak in the sweat band dept. I had to replace the crumbling leather in one of mine and I have to be a little careful with the other. I have hats as old or older with leather that's fine, but there's something about the type they used in the old Whippets. [huh]

I bought my first one (brown) before too many people had caught on. Got it as new, open crowned and in one of those tall retailer's boxes that can hold three hats or more. Must have been one of those 'closed the store and getting rid of old unsold stock' situations. I stole it for less than $30.00. :D I'm a size 7 so that help$.

The other one (grey) I got probably put me out around $40 or $45 and it's even a touch older but is kinda' dingy and had the unsalvageable sweatband as described above.

They are tremendous hats, though. Perfect proportions. Keep your eyes peeled. Be patient. And if you don't spend over $150.00, you're paying the same or less as a new production Stetson Sovereign grade hat but getting a far superior item with an authentic connection to the Golden Era.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
If it's in nearly new condition and of a larger size, like a 7 3/8 or above, I would shell out a couple hundred for a truly vintage Whippet in my size. The smaller sizes are more common, so the price tag should be lower. Also, if any repairs or service are needed, I'd be less inclided to break the bank.

Feraud

Bartender
HarpPlayerGene said:
Not sure why, but the old Whippets seem to be weak in the sweat band dept. I had to replace the crumbling leather in one of mine and I have to be a little careful with the other. I have hats as old or older with leather that's fine, but there's something about the type they used in the old Whippets. [huh]
I am going to guess low quality sweatbands are not particular to Whippets but to the condition of your hats. None of my Whippets have sweatband issues.
The sweatband issue is probably the luck of the draw.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
I am going to guess low quality sweatbands are not particular to Whippets but to the condition of your hats. None of my Whippets have sweatband issues.
The sweatband issue is probably the luck of the draw.

You're probably right, Feraud. Indeed, my two hats as examples does not a scientific study make. I have, however, noticed the same flaking & splitting in photos of several other Whippets for sale online so I started to think it was a common problem. I like reading that yours are in good shape and I hope a lot of others out there are too. It pains me to know about old sweatbands having to get replaced in these vintage hats.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Not more than $150 or so, but that's why I'll probably never own one. The late '40s, early '50s Whippet is definitely my favorite hat, but there are just so many other options out there for getting that look without paying for the bragging rights of owning a true Whippet.

Every Whippet I've tracked recently in my size has gone for over $200. When I can spend an extra bit of money and get a brand new, hand crafted, Art Fawcett Whippet, I just don't see the point.

Closer to home, I can get nearly the same thing by having a Federation's brim bound and the ribbon switched, for considerably less money.

-Dave

The hat is worth whatever you're willing to pay. They're not that rare, so they typically don't get lunatic prices on eBay. But they are desireable so they get more than the "standard" vintage hat. But they're not particularly splendid felt, in general. It's OK, but not the Stetson felt of old. Another plus is that they seem to have been produced in the full range of Stetson colours, so variation is great between hats.

I have 3, and haven't paid more than $15 for any of them. (No sweatband problems.) But 2 were from junk shops, and the one from eBay was waayyyy before the prices started rocketing - the good 'ol days, we call them, when collections were cheap to build. :D Helps to be small.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff