Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you "set" your hair?

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Just wondering how many of you ladies only set your hair once a week - and how do you stop the greasies?

I have heard of the baby powder method, but just wondering if anyone else had some ideas!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I went through a period of setting it 2-4 times a week. Now I won't do it at all until I find something better and safer for my hair than velcro rollers. I know I'm very un-early 20th Cent. vintage when it comes to the care of my hair.

If I had a finer texture, I'd get a perm and set it once a week. If I had a finer, less straight texture, I'd set it every day in something that at least has some vintage appeal.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I set pincurls every night -- but I only shampoo once a week. The rest of the time I do the pincurls dry, and then spray on a very fine spray of water, which avoids any danger of setting-lotion buildup.

Once-a-week shampoos may sound barbaric to folks today, raised on daily shampoos, but I find that it actually leaves my hair a *lot* healthier, and I need to use a lot less conditioner when I do wash it. My hair doesn't tend to get greasy -- if anything, it tends to be overly-dry, so I find this is a good regimen. Might not work for everyone, but it does work for me.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I'm doing mine every other day at the moment. I had worked up to 4 days in between washing, but since I came off BC my skin and hair have been a massive greasefest, even on the second day it's starting to get icky. I hope it calms down soon.

I do a sponge roller set the first night and then if it needs it the second day I will pop in some hot sticks, but I can often get two days out of one set.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I pretty much only set my hair when I'm going out for the night and really getting dolled up - maybe once a week, twice max. The next day, it's still wavy but not really controlled enough to wear down - looks fantastic in a ponytail with a chiffon scarf, though.

I would set my hair more often, and shampoo less often, if I didn't have roller derby practice and lots of sweat to deal with.

For greasies, I find that scented talcum powder is nice. Cornstarch seems to work even better.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Sometimes I will set my hair 2 to 3 times a week.. depending on what im using.
I usually use the foam rollers cause I can make a set last about 3 days..
I only use the hot rollers when I need some body cause my hair WONT keep the curls in...
Over the years I have found that my hair wont keep the curl.. LOL And its horrible! My hair is naturally wavy/curly.. but when trying to set it with hot rollers.. forget it.. it will only give it body.

So the foam rollers it is for me.. but because I have soo much hair.. I have to blow dry my hair.. then out the foam rollers in cause if i sleep with the wet rollers.. I will have wet hair in the morning.

As for the powder in my hair.. I have thought about using it.. but havent found something to buy. My scalp is oily and by the 3rd day.. I need to wash it.. LOL

Tatum

Practically Family
I have a very regular schedule, so I have this pretty well down pat. I always set my hair Tuesday night so it looks decent on Wednesday, then again Wednesday night so it looks great for the cigar shows I do on Thursdays, which are the pics I usually post here, then Thursday night to (hopefully) last through Friday and Saturday (I have class Friday night and Saturday morning--YUCK!--and I will usually put my rollers back in the same place Friday night, but I don't use setting lotion or water). Saturday nights I slack, due to weekend boating, and Sunday and Monday nights if I feel like it or have plans. I tend to not wash it those few days unless I have to get the sunscreen out of it, so I can pull off fun stuff with my curling iron. However, I have meetings with two clients tomorrow in the afternoon, so I will definitely be setting it tonight.

For some reason, my hair doesn't really like to hold a set for more than a day. If I do a pageboy (usually my Friday and Saturday 'do) it holds up a little longer. That, and I have been getting caught in the rain a lot lately!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Once-a-week shampoos may sound barbaric to folks today, raised on daily shampoos, but I find that it actually leaves my hair a *lot* healthier, and I need to use a lot less conditioner when I do wash it. My hair doesn't tend to get greasy -- if anything, it tends to be overly-dry, so I find this is a good regimen. Might not work for everyone, but it does work for me.

I only wash once a week too - and even then I dont use shampoo - just bicarb and water!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:

For greasies, I find that scented talcum powder is nice. Cornstarch seems to work even better.

I have Crabtree & Evelyn talc powder.

Is cornstarch the same as cornflour here in Australia? Used to thicken things?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
RitaHayworth said:
Is cornstarch the same as cornflour here in Australia? Used to thicken things?

I think so. It's very, very fine and is used to thicken gravies and sauces. I find it works best to sprinkle some on a natural bristle brush and just brush it through. I think it does a better job of absorbing greasies than talcum powder, though scented powder is nice for obvious reasons!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I like walking around with my hair rolled up and you ladies have made me feel inspired to try again regardless of what I previously wrote.:) But I never like the results.:( I feel more lady like while it's rolled up than when I take the pins/velcro rollers out.

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
LelaViavonie said:
Sometimes I will set my hair 2 to 3 times a week.. depending on what im using.
I usually use the foam rollers cause I can make a set last about 3 days..
I only use the hot rollers when I need some body cause my hair WONT keep the curls in...
Over the years I have found that my hair wont keep the curl.. LOL And its horrible! My hair is naturally wavy/curly.. but when trying to set it with hot rollers.. forget it.. it will only give it body.

So the foam rollers it is for me.. but because I have soo much hair.. I have to blow dry my hair.. then out the foam rollers in cause if i sleep with the wet rollers.. I will have wet hair in the morning.

As for the powder in my hair.. I have thought about using it.. but havent found something to buy. My scalp is oily and by the 3rd day.. I need to wash it.. LOL

Hi Lela,
I too have thick hair that doesn't hold a curl for very long. I actually found something that works! I was picking up some hair stuff for my kit at Sally Beauty when I came across ION brand sculpting lotion (it's the pearl colored bottles with pink tops and writing). You can apply it to wet hair and blow dry or use it on dry hair to set curls. I used it with my hot rollers for a party and my curls not only lasted all night but into the next day! You should give it a try :)

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
i set my hair about once or twice every week.(and i've been doing that for 2 years). i leave my hair straight and get my curls with a curling iron,pin curls used to be my thing,but its not now,i just lost interest in them,and kinda stopped being good at setting them. i usually style my hair like the girl in that band Horrorpop's,i kinda mix her with Suzi Homewrecker when i style my hair for some reason!

greasy hair?? try washing your hair everyday and putting styling serum on it instead of a million hair products!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
RebeccaMUA said:
Hi Lela,
I too have thick hair that doesn't hold a curl for very long. I actually found something that works! I was picking up some hair stuff for my kit at Sally Beauty when I came across ION brand sculpting lotion (it's the pearl colored bottles with pink tops and writing). You can apply it to wet hair and blow dry or use it on dry hair to set curls. I used it with my hot rollers for a party and my curls not only lasted all night but into the next day! You should give it a try :)

Thanxs Rebecca!
I am always on the look out for something to help the curl!
I was just in Sally's yesterday and I do like the Ion Products.. I use a serum after i let the curls loose and Whhhala... Perfect curls with just the right amount of volume :)

It looks like I will be heading to Sally's Again.. LOL

olive bleu

One Too Many
i really only do if i am going out.luckily my hair is very wavy and kinda "kinks up" in all the right places, so i can get away with very little most days.Don't hate me.:D

Lillemor

One Too Many
olive bleu said:
i really only do if i am going out.luckily my hair is very wavy and kinda "kinks up" in all the right places, so i can get away with very little most days.Don't hate me.:D

I don't hate your but I am sooo envious! I'm back to no sets for now! I must've been too eager when pulling out some pins at the front from my pin curls. so I broke off a rather visible amount of hair.:rolleyes: I have very strong hair but even my hair has limits to the stress you can put on it. The front had some left over dye streaks in it. Maybe that weakened my hair. My hair is also very porous so I guess chemical treatments is not an option if I'm going to set my hair more regularly.

Longer hair I can roll, twist, bun, and braid is really the only option I can see to this. It's just long enough to twist and clip into place now. So that's what I mainly do.

gingermore

Familiar Face
I usually only set my hair for gigs. I used to put fingerwaves in the night before then curl then ends with hot rollers the following day. Lately I've been getting more gigs, which is great, but I've gotten lazy and now I just do a hot roller set before the gig. Unfortunatly I'm starting to pay for it now - my hair is getting really damaged.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
sweatyspaghetti said:
i set my hair about once or twice every week.(and i've been doing that for 2 years). i leave my hair straight and get my curls with a curling iron,pin curls used to be my thing,but its not now,i just lost interest in them,and kinda stopped being good at setting them. i usually style my hair like the girl in that band Horrorpop's,i kinda mix her with Suzi Homewrecker when i style my hair for some reason!

greasy hair?? try washing your hair everyday and putting styling serum on it instead of a million hair products!

The only hair products I use is a silicone free pomade and leave in conditioner. I dont use heat.

I have naturally curly hair = so daily hairwashing with shampoo is a big no no! I might as well go out pretending I am wearing a giant birds nest - because it would look awfully close to what would happen!

birdsnest.jpg

It hated shampoo once a week and is much more happy now I dont use any at all.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I set my hair every other day, but I use caruso steam curlers and do it in the morning. It works for me because I can get up and evaluate how well my hair made it thru the night. If it still looks good, I can pass on a set...and if it doesn't, I just pop in the rollers.

I shampoo every 2 or 3 days. If I go to 3, or press to 4 days between shampoo, then I use a dry shampoo spray. Spray lightly, let it set for a minute and then brush thru with a boars bristle brush.

Honey Doll

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Honey Doll said:
I set my hair every other day, but I use caruso steam curlers and do it in the morning. It works for me because I can get up and evaluate how well my hair made it thru the night. If it still looks good, I can pass on a set...and if it doesn't, I just pop in the rollers.

I shampoo every 2 or 3 days. If I go to 3, or press to 4 days between shampoo, then I use a dry shampoo spray. Spray lightly, let it set for a minute and then brush thru with a boars bristle brush.

Honey Doll

Honey Doll...
I do love the steam curlers! I have a whole set.. only problem is.. i am always burning myself with them.,. LOL

What type of dry shampoo do u use?

Anyone have a good brand they would recommend?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24