Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you "set" your hair?

crwritt

One Too Many
Twice this week i saw a woman on the bus with her hair set in pincurls.And i mean with the pins still in.I think she was actually wearing this as a hairstyle, and not just a case of "i just ducked out to the store for a gallon of milk in my curlers",as she was wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase., and it was the end of the day. She was wearing some pretty nice cat-eye glasses though.

Could it be she had plans for the evening, and had pinned her hair for the ride home?Maybe some people work in a place where they can fuss with thier hair between tasks. Were they pinned with bobby pins or big silver clips? Flat or standing curls? Just wondering.

olive bleu

One Too Many
they were bobby pins, and laying flat. I will have to watch for her again.This is a small town and i frequently see the same people over and over on the bus, so i guess it is possible that she was going out for the evening....:)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I have eczema around my hairline, so I have to shampoo with medicated shampoo at least every 3 days. Any longer than that, and my hairline will scab up and get very nasty. I wash mine in the evening, the earlier, the better, then set it with sponger rollers. My hair takes at least 12 hrs to dry. I go through weeks when I don't set it at all. Hubby seems to like my straight hair better, but I prefer curled. I also won't set my hair if I know I'll be wearing jeans and a t shirt. To me, it just looks odd to have vintage hair and modern clothes.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
crwritt said:
Maybe some people work in a place where they can fuss with thier hair between tasks.

I can't imagine doing a hair set between tasks, especially if setting lotion was used.

That said, I paint my nails at work. 2 coats - and I type all day long!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
I can't imagine doing a hair set between tasks, especially if setting lotion was used.

That said, I paint my nails at work. 2 coats - and I type all day long!

lol I do mine in my lunch break!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
For greasies, I find that scented talcum powder is nice. Cornstarch seems to work even better.

Thanks for the tip! Not only do I get an extra day out of my set - the cornstarch actually "thickens" (I have fine hair - just a tonne of it!) my hair and gives heaps of volume at the roots!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I have a vintage beauty book that says to massage the scalp thoroughly every night at bedtime - this distributes the oil so the hair doesn't get greasy as quickly - and also the famous 100 strokes with the natural bristle brush.

It also talks about dabbing the scalp with eau de cologne (alcohol removes grease) or massaging with hair tonic or scalp tonic, whatever that is. Do those products even exist anymore? Maybe for men's barbershop supplies or something ...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ShrinkingViolet said:
I have a vintage beauty book that says to massage the scalp thoroughly every night at bedtime - this distributes the oil so the hair doesn't get greasy as quickly

Actually, I don't see this at all. The more time your hands spend on and around your scalp, the more of the natural oils from your hands deposit into your hair.

and also the famous 100 strokes with the natural bristle brush.

I think I read somewhere that such overbrushing is actually not good for your hair and can stress the hair shaft.

Edit: from Goodhousekeeping.com - Myth #10: You should brush your hair 100 strokes every day. Truth: "Brush it only to style it, because brushing pulls hairs out of their follicles and possibly weakens individual strands."

from hairfinder.com - "Over-brushing the hair can lead to hair damage, such as split ends. If you are brushing your hair before bedtime, you should only brush it sufficiently to remove any tangles (doing so gently). You should also use a natural-bristle brush (such as boar's hair) and work from the ends of the hair to the scalp."

Smuterella

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Actually, I don't see this at all. The more time your hands spend on and around your scalp, the more of the natural oils from your hands deposit into your hair.

I think I read somewhere that such overbrushing is actually not good for your hair and can stress the hair shaft.

Edit: from Goodhousekeeping.com - Myth #10: You should brush your hair 100 strokes every day. Truth: "Brush it only to style it, because brushing pulls hairs out of their follicles and possibly weakens individual strands."

from hairfinder.com - "Over-brushing the hair can lead to hair damage, such as split ends. If you are brushing your hair before bedtime, you should only brush it sufficiently to remove any tangles (doing so gently). You should also use a natural-bristle brush (such as boar's hair) and work from the ends of the hair to the scalp."

my hair certainly gets greasier if i play with it.

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Pincurls every night, however, I only do 4 on each side which is quick and gives me nice Veronica Lakeish waves. I wash my hair once a week, I find that since I've been pincurling my hair doesn't get greasy as quockly. Oh, but on the night I wash my hair I don't pincurl it, because it usually falls out very quickly, so the day after washing is usually my snood and victory roll day. :)

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
To me, it just looks odd to have vintage hair and modern clothes.

I just think it depends on the modern clothes. I've been wearing vintage hair for a few weeks now but I haven't had the chance to start really investing in vintage clothes yet. I just try to pair vintage hair with classic type pieces like little sweaters and blouses. But then, my "vintage hair" is pretty simple waves too.

baby_butterfly

One of the Regulars
Rarely. I have naturally curly hair that I hate to damage with rollers and things. It looks pretty vintage on its own if I pin on side behind my ear anyways. I need sleep and just cant sleep in rollers. It makes my head hurt!!

So for me its when I absolutly have to.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I wash my hair 2-3 times per week. My hair is very coarse and thick, and has a tendency to be dry. I've gone a week without washing and other than being a little flat, it was fine and not greasy at all.

My hair has a lot of natural body and curl, so most of the time (for work) I just let it air dry without setting it. That look seems to work pretty well whether I'm wearing vintage or modern. Occasionally I'll do a blowout & flat iron (my husband prefers my hair really straight), and I get about 3 days out of that also.

If we're going to a vintage event or something, I wash it the evening before, let it air dry until only slightly damp, then set it with Lottabody & sponge rollers, then take it out the following morning and I'm good to go. I don't re-set it or anything, just brush & sleep on it like normal. My hair takes & holds curl extraordinarily well. I can get 3 days out of a good set, with minimal curling iron touch-up.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I haven't in...I've gone for cuts that work with what I've got. The bob's very outgrown from the picture and flicks out on its own so I just make a sharp sidepart, and I've got instant (modified) early-mid 60s Annette Funicello hair. However, I'm having a cut tomorrow so I expect it to be more of a smooth 20s bob again tomorrow. I'm going for a shorter length than in the photos if I can talk the hairdresser in to it.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I use to set my hair every night way back when but these days I just wash and slap it back into a ponytail, but then again, I don't really do vintage hairstyles.

There used to a product called Miss Kool, but it has been discontinued. It was a 5 minute set that I would use occasionally.

For those of you that do vintage hairstyles, why not try Minute Curl, then you wouldn't have to worry about overnight sets:

https://www.minutecurls.com/default.asp

I have this but have never used it..too lazy..lol.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
CaramelSmoothie said:
I use to set my hair every night way back when but these days I just wash and slap it back into a ponytail, but then again, I don't really do vintage hairstyles.

There used to a product called Miss Kool, but it has been discontinued. It was a 5 minute set that I would use occasionally.

For those of you that do vintage hairstyles, why not try Minute Curl, then you wouldn't have to worry about overnight sets:

https://www.minutecurls.com/default.asp

I have this but have never used it..too lazy..lol.

Has anyone tried one of these microwave steam bonnets? I thought of buying one from the Vermont Country store.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Land-O-LakesGal said:
Has anyone tried one of these microwave steam bonnets? I thought of buying one from the Vermont Country store.

I checked out a couple reviews for this product on Amazon. There were only two but one said it was too small to fit over her curlers (but I don't know what size curlers she's using) and the other complained that it was too heavy and slipped down in back.

I'd be very curious to hear if any Loungers have tried this product too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24