Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you "set" your hair?

Berlin

Practically Family
Your hair looks amazing.
And I must also mention that you remind me very much of war singer Vera Lynn!

pic15_vera_lynn_gallery.jpg

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Miss Tuppence, great job! It looks just as good in the latter photo as in the beginning one. Thank you for explaining. I'll have to try this on a weekend. I'm not too daring during the week with work. Your hair looks fantastic. (♪...Does any-body here remember Vera Lynn...? ♫)

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
And I am so glad you do! That line I posted is from an old Pink Floyd song, and before the internet, I always wondered who Vera Lynn was. I had forgotten all about that line until you posted her photo and brought it back to my memory.

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
Ok ladies, Im going to set my hair tonight for the very first time :) YEEHA! Ill be sure to post a pic in the "Show us your do" thread.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I've become a sixties girl with middle-parted, shoulder-length hair ending in a flip. On weekends I like to puff up the back in a mini-hive. That's when I use dry shampoo. I love it! Also soothing on the day before setting day.
I like Kisby:
kisby_torrschampo_puder_31078707.jpg
3067157780_fab1c2ce7a.jpg

SusanDeyPsssssst.jpg

Last edited:

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer

Here in the States, CVS still carries Psst! dry shampoo. I've tried it, works fine. The main ingredient is cornstarch, which has come up in a couple other places here on the Lounge for its incredible usefulness. So, if you're in need of dry shampoo and don't mind not having a spray type, reach into the kitchen cabinet :)

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I wash my hair each evening so if I wanted it curly I would have to set it every night. I use bendy rollers as I can sleep in them but it takes me ages to put them in!

I have proper tight ringlets this morning as I was trying a different way with the rollers. I am scared to brush them in case they turn into frizz or all drop out! I think I must do something wrong when I brush them. I tried rolling the front of my hair back and off my face which I really like as a change.

The downside is that I really like my hair curly, in spite of the effort involved, but on days when is is natural it looks so flat and dull and boring!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I used to wash and set mine once every three days, but now I'm considering trying to stretch it to once a week... reason being is that I always seem to get the best curls when my hair is really oily! Smooth, shiny, bouncy- you wouldn't believe it! It's as though if I get past the one day where my hair feels disgusting, it just sorts itself out after that.

That said, I do re-pin into 6 or 8 big standing pincurls and spritz with water each night, so I guess that's cheating a bit :D I never used to, but given that I was pinning it up before I sleep anyway, it's not a lot more effort to do it properly and spray with some water. For some reason pincurls feel a whole lot quicker and easier than rollers.

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Ooo, didn’t know you could still get dry shampoo- I’ll have to go in search.

By day 6-7 I usually put a dusting of talc on my hair and brush to make it look less greasy- Sometimes I need it, other times I don’t!:)

wahine

Practically Family
dry shampoo on dark hair?

I wonder how you dark haired girls get along with dry shampoo? Having dark brown hair, I have problems with the regular (white) dry shampoo. It takes me virtually forever to brush it out and afterwards, my brush looks ready for the garbage.
Honestly, I have a brush with natural bristles and a wooden handle which I kinda ruined that way; I got no idea how to clean it (using water would probably ruin the handle)
It seems there is no dry shampoo especially for the dark haired available in Germany...

Oh, since my request is sort of OT -
I set my hair about once or twice a week and go the natural way (which means modern) for the other five days.

wahine

Practically Family
Over here Bastiste did a dry shampoo especially for brunettes, you might be able to order from boots and have it sent to Germany?
http://www.boots.com/en/Batiste-Brunette-Dry-Shampoo-150ml_1001032/

Thank you for this hint! Unfortunately, the Batiste shop does not send abroad. Looking up the product on ebay, nobody offers to send it anywhere out of the UK. Sellers write:
"THIS ITEM CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS:
OUT OF UK
HIGHLANDS
... "
"**PLEASE NOTE THAT WE CANNOT SEND THIS ITEM ABROAD AS IT IS AN AEROSOL**"
That doesn't leave much hope to get it. Seemingly there's a problem sending aerosols over to the continent?
The regular Batiste seems to be available in Germany, but not the other sorts like for brunettes. One can get the impression we're a developing country when it comes to beauty products designed for special needs.

The funniest thing: there are dry shampoos in different colors for dogs and cats!

Last edited:

wahine

Practically Family
I think about trying to find talcum powder for dark skin and try to use that. Unfortunately, I can't find that, too. There must be a product for dark skinned ladies?! Well, not in Germany, but in the UK? Any idea anyone?

wahine

Practically Family
As chance will have it, there is a brand new product in Germany - a spray on dry shampoo, not especially for the dark haired, but sooo much better and even cheaper then the odd smelling white powdery stuff that I tried before. In case any of you German or Austrian girls is interested: it's Balea Trend It Up Spray-On Trockenshampoo, sold at dm drugstores.
Yay! I will get a dozen of cans to put in stash since this brand often changes their product line quickly (there were several products I loved and never found again, sigh)

Heather

Practically Family
Could someone recommend a rosewater spray to buy or perhaps an easy recipe? I've seen someone mention it on this thread about halfway through and had to immediately post and see if anyone had any recommendations. :) TY!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24