Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How old is your waistline?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I tend to wear my trousers on my hips for two reasons. First, and most important, it is very hard to find trousers in a size 32-36, so i must wear trousers with shorter legs because they are available. Second, and only sort of legitimate, I have extremely long legs and a very short torso, so when I wear trousers correctly, I look like an ostrich.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Article here.

_47206198_trousers_waist466.gif

anon`

One Too Many
Oddly enough, I appear to be twenty-seven. More strange, however, is that I appear to have been this age for the past three years.

The author of that article would've done well to put some effort into researching her satorial history, however. The earliest descendent of modern trousers may have appeared only in the 16th century, but the Thorsberg Mose pants (which are of remarkably complex, gusseted construction and feature a low wait, belt loops and integral feet) were deposited as a votive offering some 1200 years before that. Trousers were known to the Scythian and Persian cultures extant alongside ancient Greece. Trousers were ubiquitous in Scandinavia and most of Celtic, Germanic and Slavic Europe from (before?) their Bronze Ages until after the close of the first millenium AD. Indeed, the wearing of pants was considered by supposedly-civilised Greeks and Romans of Antiquity to be one of the supposed hallmarks of the barbaroi.

Geesie

Practically Family
Trousers aren't made with much variety in rise so it's not really a matter of "how old are you?"

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
We have an elderly customer who comes into the store to print photos every so often, and I swear his pants go half way up his torso and sit just below his chest. [huh]

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Hexenmeister said:
We have an elderly customer who comes into the store to print photos every so often, and I swear his pants go half way up his torso and sit just below his chest. [huh]

I've got some pairs like that.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
"Is there a Fl'r who can Photoshop a Naval on to the diagram so we can "See how the land lies?"

Also an idea of where the hips might be. Plus a suggestion of where the ribs are. Etc. ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The waist (narrowest part of the torso) is pretty close to the elbow (see the arm to the right). The belly button is just below it.

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
The narrowest place of my "torso" is either above or below my stomach... My mom always said it's at your belly-button, but for me pants don't stay up that high unless I were to use suspenders. They fall down to sit at the narrowest place which is right at the bottom of my stomach, above my hips.

Paisley said:
The waist (narrowest part of the torso) is pretty close to the elbow (see the arm to the right). The belly button is just below it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy