Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to... get the grown-up vintage look

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
Its the media. Period.

They report on current trends. And this is one.

Face it...those folks that do want to look like they are from another era are a 'tiny' fraction of the people who might want one vintage item here and there to spice up their regular clothes. (and there is zero wrong with that!)

Most people don't want to do that and nothing wrong with that. If everyone did dress exclusively in a vintage style...then we would come here whining how they 'took our thing' and 'have no brains of their own'. Other people can't win, as we will always find something to gripe about with them.

First they look horrid and tacky and over casual...but heaven forbid they add in some 'classy' items......

The rest of her points, ie its ageing etc. Heck, we here have discussed that very thing, so she isn't being cruel or horrid or anything. It is a fact that for -most viewers- looking like another era does invoke the 'older then one is' idea.

We talk about how women should be kinder to other women about their appearances.

In my book this counts for non 'vintage' folks too.....respect their choice to look how they want, even if its trendy and includes vintage items.

What we dish out, comes right back to us......as evidenced in the 'comments you get' thread.

Yes, ma'm, you are correct :eek:

(I am new to vintage myself, but I thought the "Mad Men" look was 60's not 50's?)

I confess...as a birthday gift to myself this past summer, I now allow myself to not be 'swayed' into 'what everybody else is doing, saying, eating, WEARING and doing what pleases myself....and The Mister ;)
I don't worry what 'the media' says or does...I take care of me. If others don't like my look, well, then darlin', don't look ;)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I agree with BenStephens and Miss Neecerie. It's just the normal buzz word and focused on the fashion populous as a whole.
I kind of like their take on mixing vintage in to our normal wardrobe. I so seldom see vintage around here that I get a kick out of seeing someone toting a vintage purse or wearing a vintage cardi... I admire the creative ways people mix vintage in with other things. Doesn't really matter to me whether it's head to toe or just a piece here or there mixed in with other things, as long as you're enjoying it :D

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Honey Bee said:
Y
(I am new to vintage myself, but I thought the "Mad Men" look was 60's not 50's?)

Well, the Mad Men series started in 1960 and remember that the styles in the early part of a decade are just a continuation of the previous years. Styles in 1962 were changing, but they weren't too too different from those of 1959. Now that we're into the mid-60s in the series, we're definitely starting to see things go mod.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Well, the Mad Men series started in 1960 and remember that the styles in the early part of a decade are just a continuation of the previous years. Styles in 1962 were changing, but they weren't too too different from those of 1959. Now that we're into the mid-60s in the series, we're definitely starting to see things go mod.

I so luv learning something new everyday! Thank you...seems rather obvious now that you say it :eek:

Lillemor

One Too Many
Everything from DM that has focused on vintage, retro, or style has offended me so far and I find that I'm usually the only one who defends authentic styles and details that would make a look more authentic than modern so I've simply stopped commenting. I've never had much if any respect for DM and I don't bother to check their online site anymore. I don't like it when people intentionally insult my intelligence.

'looking very ageing' comment was a bit off
I agree but the "article" (I can't even bring myself to give it that much credit) obviously isn't aimed at us but at people who prefer a contemporary, modern, youthful style that just hints at retro. That's alright, I long ago stopped reading anything that talks about vintage styles in main press. I know I'm going to be curling toes.

I mix and most of the time I probably look more retro modern than anything else but it's the insinuation that you're doing something wrong if it's "ageing" whatever the hell that means!

Amy

New in Town
I too call this rag the 'Daily Facist' (as many do), and have never found any of their articles to be balanced or objective, be they political, relating to fashion or even sport. I wouldn't pay it too much heed... :)

TexasTawny001

New in Town
ZombieGirl said:
Ugghh... Not that I'm any sort of expert but I'm just sick to death of seeing ANY vintage piece described as Mad Men! They treat it as this huge catch all description hoping to snag a few morons who only follow the trend because of the show.

I agree! If I see 'mad men' to describe another vintage piece I may scream!:eek:

Lillemor

One Too Many
TexasTawny001 said:
I agree! If I see 'mad men' to describe another vintage piece I may scream!:eek:

It may give certain vintage styles more appeal to modern women who want it to have a link to something that's contemporary and trendy before they'll consider wearing a vintage inspired style but it's exactly this kind of association that could put me right off some styles I actually like as long as they're trendy. I know that's a childdish attitude and I should care less but...I'm not really grown up.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy