Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Paint On A Leather Jacket 101, Part 10. Conclusion.

Stand By

One Too Many
And so, we have arrived at the end and I have taken you from the first draft to the finished piece.

LuckyDogFinished#11.JPG
LuckyDogFinished#10.JPG

And here are some “fit pics” of the finished work on my Aero ANJ-3, with photos taken outside.

LuckyDogFinished#5.JPG
LuckyDogFinished#4.JPG LuckyDogFinished#2.JPG LuckyDogFinished#3.JPG
LuckyDogFinished#6.JPG LuckyDogFinished#9.JPG LuckyDogFinished#8.JPG LuckyDogFinished#7.JPG

And that’s all there is to it. All done!

And if you wanted to do a pin-up, it’s all the same procedures – making a template with an outline, details of clothing, anatomical features, shadows, highlights, clothing, folds of clothing, laces and buttons etc. It’s just more, that’s all.

So that’s the basis of how it’s all done and you can do the rest. Trust me, I completed Stand By without ever having seen a single demonstration and with just a rough half-hour guide given over-the-counter from the helpful ladies at Hibbert Bros. and now you know all they told me - PLUS all my own experiences – with photos!
And before you know it, you may well be feeling the itch to do another project and be looking in your reference books again and feeling inspired to try your hand again ... but be warned: you may well need to buy another jacket just so you can do the work!!! Oh dear.

I hope this has helped to shed some light on how to make your jacket extra unique in the world and personalized to you and hopefully you feel less afraid to attempt some jacket art of your own.

As a final note, I would like to point out that I am a professional Anaplastologist i.e. a medical artist who specializes in making head and neck facial prosthetics and my interest in WW2 nose/jacket art is just that; a hobby that I do for my own enjoyment and fulfilment. There are other professional artists out there (and around here) who do this for a living and, like all things in the artistic world, there are many other ways to achieve the same or similar results and other artists will have different opinions on what works better or best for them. My way is by no means the only or proper way (I read online how one jacket artist sarcastically scoffed at the mere idea of using a stencil – but then he never offered up his own tips or an alternative) - it is just one way that was told to me and I can say that it works - and can work for you too.

All the best and good luck - and really have fun with it!

Stand By

Last edited:

highhope

New in Town
And so, we have arrived at the end and I have taken you from the first draft to the finished piece.

View attachment 34363
View attachment 34362

And here are some “fit pics” of the finished work on my Aero ANJ-3, with photos taken outside.

View attachment 34357
View attachment 34356 View attachment 34354 View attachment 34355
View attachment 34358 View attachment 34361 View attachment 34360 View attachment 34359

And that’s all there is to it. All done!

And if you wanted to do a pin-up, it’s all the same procedures – making a template with an outline, details of clothing, anatomical features, shadows, highlights, clothing, folds of clothing, laces and buttons etc. It’s just more, that’s all.

So that’s the basis of how it’s all done and you can do the rest. Trust me, I completed Stand By without ever having seen a single demonstration and with just a rough half-hour guide given over-the-counter from the helpful ladies at Hibbert Bros. and now you know all they told me - PLUS all my own experiences – with photos!
And before you know it, you may well be feeling the itch to do another project and be looking in your reference books again and feeling inspired to try your hand again ... but be warned: you may well need to buy another jacket just so you can do the work!!! Oh dear.

I hope this has helped to shed some light on how to make your jacket extra unique in the world and personalized to you and hopefully you feel less afraid to attempt some jacket art of your own.

As a final note, I would like to point out that I am a professional Anaplastologist i.e. a medical artist who specializes in making head and neck facial prosthetics and my interest in WW2 nose/jacket art is just that; a hobby that I do for my own enjoyment and fulfilment. There are other professional artists out there (and around here) who do this for a living and, like all things in the artistic world, there are many other ways to achieve the same or similar results and other artists will have different opinions on what works better or best for them. My way is by no means the only or proper way (I read online how one jacket artist sarcastically scoffed at the mere idea of using a stencil – but then he never offered up his own tips or an alternative) - it is just one way that was told to me and I can say that it works - and can work for you too.

All the best and good luck - and really have fun with it!

Stand By

Hi,

I've read your posts with great interest! Love the jacket work - I'm from humble modelling beginnings too so your comments about the Bismark relate to me very well too haha

Wish I'd seen your posts earlier as there's some great tips in here for leather painting - I painted the nose art of my great uncles spitfire (he was one of a handful stationed in Australia with 54 squadron in 43/44) and am quite pleased with the result. Didn't want anything too big but just a little personal history to remember him by. Every now and then someone asks me what it means - and I'm pleased to have a personal connection...and a story...just like 'Lucky Dog' does for you too.

Thanks again for posting such a quality description!!

Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    668.6 KB · Views: 261
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 237

Stand By

One Too Many
Hi,

I've read your posts with great interest! Love the jacket work - I'm from humble modelling beginnings too so your comments about the Bismark relate to me very well too haha

Wish I'd seen your posts earlier as there's some great tips in here for leather painting - I painted the nose art of my great uncles spitfire (he was one of a handful stationed in Australia with 54 squadron in 43/44) and am quite pleased with the result. Didn't want anything too big but just a little personal history to remember him by. Every now and then someone asks me what it means - and I'm pleased to have a personal connection...and a story...just like 'Lucky Dog' does for you too.

Thanks again for posting such a quality description!!

Tom

Hi Tom,
I've just noticed your comment here (sorry that it only took me 5 months to have a look-in on this thread again and notice! LOL!) and thanks for your kind words and for the photos too, especially for sharing the one of your great-uncle in his Spitfire! A very special and great photo - and man, that was a tough theatre he was in. I know he'd approve of your jacket! Very nicely done!
Thanks again!

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for taking all that time & effort with the thread....it's a prime example of one of the things that makes the FL so great :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy