Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to properly measure the length of a sheepskin jacket

Roma

A-List Customer
Hi everybody, I started the topic because I've been unable to find anything relevant on the net and since I'm not sure whether I'm made a correct jacket or not, I would like to hear other opinions.
When I'm measuring my shearling B3 from Aero it looks like in the picture and the question is: is the shearling at the bottom included in the whole length or not. The stiff leather material is cut at exactly 26" point but with all the fur below that point it's 27". The shearling can be easily squashed, squueezed and so forth. That's why it's controversial.
What do you think or know about that?
32b42cbf5c870925bbea3ee7e5037fc4.jpg
fd0d1c306fd58991852728d2a1d4e93b.jpg
703f78b2b5f9c14ae0769d6fcbacbed7.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I would ignore the shearling and finish at the skin. To me this is 26"!
I would also stop worrying about it. Spamming every thread asking about length will not make it grow longer...

Deacon211

One Too Many
Well, I understand the angst over a jacket that you begin to suspect isn't cut quite right for you, so I don't begrudge Roma his questions.

After all, it's only time and electrons he's wasting, if he's wasting anything at all and it's a fair consideration for anyone wandering through and considering a B-3, 6, Irvin, etc.

Roma, as others have said, I think that the jacket would look terrible if it got too much longer. And the fit would make you mental when you tried to sit anywhere.

Remember too that this jacket was often worn with trousers, like the Irvin, so short and pocketless wasn't too much of a concern. I sometimes wish my Irvin was a tad longer when I get a little wind up my tail. But that's the way it was designed and would lose much of its allure if it were different.

Lastly, remember that the jacket is new. My ELC Irvin and B-6 sat high on me like a tent when new. However, as the fleece breaks in and the leather begins its inexorable molding to fit you, it will rest more easy on your shoulders and might look longer while other parts like the sleeves might crease and shrink just a bit.

Actually, I think it's often hard to really know how a good leather jacket like the ones we speak of here will fit until you've really had a good long while to break it in.

But, take heart. From the pics it looks to be a great fit and will only look better as time goes on.

Deacon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roma

A-List Customer
Well, I understand the angst over a jacket that you begin to suspect isn't cut quite right for you, so I don't begrudge Roma his questions.

After all, it's only time and electrons he's wasting, if he's wasting anything at all and it's a fair consideration for anyone wandering through and considering a B-3, 6, Irvin, etc.

Roma, as others have said, I think that the jacket would look terrible if it got too much longer. And the fit would make you mental when you tried to sit anywhere.

Remember too that this jacket was often worn with trousers, like the Irvin, so short and pocketless wasn't too much of a concern. I sometimes wish my Irvin was a tad longer when I get a little wind up my tail. But that's the way it was designed and would lose much of its allure if it were different.

Lastly, remember that the jacket is new. My ELC Irvin and B-6 sat high on me like a tent when new. However, as the fleece breaks in and the leather begins its inexorable molding to fit you, it will rest more easy on your shoulders and might look longer while other parts like the sleeves might crease and shrink just a bit.

Actually, I think it's often hard to really know how a good leather jacket like the ones we speak of here will fit until you've really had a good long while to break it in.

But, take heart. From the pics it looks to be a great fit and will only look better as time goes on.

Deacon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Many thanks Deacon, that all makes sense and thank you for such vast explanation. I would agree with every your word above.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Shearling jackets also begin to take on a distinctive 'flop' and drape as the pile of the sheepskin flattens through wear.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Shearling jackets also begin to take on a distinctive 'flop' and drape as the pile of the sheepskin flattens through wear.

Yeah, and shearling is quite thin and stretchy compared to horse. My Aero B-3 has stretched a little due to it's weight just from hanging off my shoulders.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'd count it as 27", because it's where the jacket ends.

PS, in a short time you'll learn the posting etiquette around here. Don't fret it. :) I still struggle with it myself (habitual post derailer talkin')...see the metaphor?

Where the substance ends, the fluff begins... lol lol

Last edited:

Roma

A-List Customer
I'd count it as 27", because it's where the jacket ends.

PS, in a short time you'll learn the posting etiquette around here. Don't fret it. :) I still struggle with it myself (habitual post derailer talkin')...see the metaphor?

Where the substance ends, the fluff begins... lol lol
Got your your both points, thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80