Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to resist buying another jacket?

Xopher

A-List Customer
I need some help folks. My heart has been going double time at the thought of a ELC Roughwear B-3. I just drained my piggie bank on original flight gear and I'm too attached to resell it so I'm all kinds of broke. But I catch myself drifting to the HPA site to dream about the B-3.
I've tried every trick in the book to resist the urge and wait to buy it but I'm losing. I need the master plan, because I've already tried...

"I don't really need another jacket"....but people don't neeeeeeed cell phones and they still all have one...maybe several.

"I'm broke right now"....but I did just get a credit card offer with zero interest for a year.

"But I just spent that much on originals"...yea but I'm doing my part to save history...I can't wear those

"I just bought an ELC B-6 last year" But that's not warm enough..."well wear a sweater under it"....but what if it gets REALLY cold?

"OK fine I'll buy the B-3....but I have to wait the length of WW2 in between jacket purchases" What if they don't make them anymore by then....or the GBP will recover and they'll be super expensive.

I need more reasons and logic fellas...I'm losing ground fast!

CBI

One Too Many
yep, wrong place to seek advice!!!!

But seriously, I think many folks are pretty financially irresponsible with collecting. Its fun but we have to try to be adult about it and sometimes that is pretty tough! If I had it to do all over again, I would. Buying just a few and calling it quits! It can become an addiction either a little bit or a lot!

The psychological trick is, to buy jacket after jacket, until you got one exemplar of every kind of jacket, which you wanted. Then, it's enough. ;)

Xopher

A-List Customer
Hey what about this? What if I put a down payment to on a GW B-3....that way I feel like I bought one but it also forces me to wait 2 years. Does that work, or do you end up buying something in between?

Ooooohh then I could have a super cool Hookless grommet zipper put on it! Or would that not be accurate?

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
I used to buy high-end baseball gloves at $100 - $200 a pop on ebay. After I retired from men's slo-pitch softball, my rationale was gone and I began feeling somewhat uneasy spending money on something I couldn't use. Then I discovered that ebay had an "add to my collection" button. Now when I am lusting after some keen leather, I add it there instead of buying it. Also, I have a three-ring binder of pictures of mitts I could never afford. These mitts retailed for $325 back in the mid-nineties. In my case, it is my leather fetish that inevitably led me to FL. Voyeuristic cheap thrills ogling all these jackets, you know.

devilish

A-List Customer
As has already been said, you are asking a bunch of junkies if you should shoot up or not? If you really are broke, then no? Save until it's an easy decision. Aero, B-3's and winter aren't going anywhere and will be there when the money is.

Mark

Practically Family
I cannot help either. I am fighting the addiction too. I wanna sell my Irvin (gets so little wear time) and buy an Aero Wayfarer in cordovan but I still reakon i'll need £300/400! I don't have it and certainly cannot justify it. How about a piggy bank? You could drop a few pounds in here and there, before you know it...Good luck.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Untitled-1.jpg

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey what about this? What if I put a down payment to on a GW B-3....that way I feel like I bought one but it also forces me to wait 2 years. Does that work, or do you end up buying something in between?

Ooooohh then I could have a super cool Hookless grommet zipper put on it! Or would that not be accurate?
Almost one year ago I put my deposit down on a GW A-2 using the same logic. I have bought five jackets (that I remember) since then...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo