Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to resist buying another jacket?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
to me, sometime over informing myself about the object I crave would overload my sense, erasing all its charm and mystery and I lose interest, another way have multiple hobbies and switch boat once you feel you're sailing into deep water.

I'm fighting this addiction too. I remember when I thought Super was exaggerating when he calling it an addiction but it's so damn true it's seriously not even funny. Nor entertaining. At times, it's no different than drugs. But here's what I can tell you...

Buy it - but make absolutely positively 100% sure this is the one! Once I got the cafe racer that I wanted, my obsessive searching thru eBay and local classifieds toned down. A bit but enough to keep myself in check because I know that 99% of the stuff that's gonna pop up on sale is going to be inferior in most ways so why bother? Yeah, I know that's far from true and that it's something I had to convince myself into believing but it works. Mostly. So yeah, it has to be the one that you seriously plan on wearing, one that's exactly what you imagined your perfect jacket will be like. Make sure it's not a whim. And if you still really want that B-3, get it. Just make sure you'll be really happy with it. Also, sell everything else, try to make it feel like a trade or at least that you'd spent as little as possible on it... But in the long run, it just might save you tons of money. And bad feelings.

Really good deal is something I am still not capable of resisting but the jacket absolutely has to check all the boxes for me. I know I would buy tons of jackets had more money but this way I can resist just throwing $$$ away on a jacket that I know I won't like as much as any of the jackets that I have right now.

Reasoning like do I need another jacket never works because for me, it's like saying "do I need another painting?". Yes, I do. Art is nice.

"I'm broke" doesn't work either because I'll just find something else give up on until I get the funds. Like food, for example.

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
I was just wondering. Is the reason for making more jackets because one is chasing the ultimate fit for a particular jacket design? Or is it because one wants a variety of designs (gotta collect-em all syndrome)? I am more of the former.

Notice the use of the word "more" as I still fall prey to the latter.

Xopher

A-List Customer
Also, sell everything else, try to make it feel like a trade or at least that you'd spent as little as possible on it... But in the long run, it just might save you tons of money. And bad feelings.

I think that is what I'm gonna do. I want this thing something fierce. I've got a really nice Gordon & Ferguson M422a and some early war redskin HLB Corp A-3 Trousers I may sell for the effort.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Usually just HAVING a missus is the way to go. I made the critical error of buying her a bunch of things that she wanted that were expensive, so it gave me "permission" to buy jackets. That's how it all started for me. I had to stop buying her nice things. I seem to have some money in the back now ;)

i just ordered her her first Aero. Ofcourse I ordered something for me as well.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not buying any more jackets on the credit card. I've got a separate savings account now that I squirrel way money too each week/month. I've been surprised how quickly it adds up and I've got enough tucked away for my upcoming GoodWear and a couple of others but for some reason while I've given myself permission to use this money for jackets I'm much less inclined to spend it when its actual savings.

CBI

One Too Many
actually, I do have something that works for me. If I want stuff, I write it down on a list, as I add to the list and look at the list over a period of about 30 days, most of the items are crossed off and rarely ever re-visited. The last time I did this, there were about a dozen aviation related items including some jackets on the list, all but one $100 item was left which I ordered. After doing this of a while, I really have nothing on a want list, really nothing............

IXL

One Too Many
It's really quite simple: go to "A1's" thread on his new jacket...his ONLY leather jacket....the one he wears everywhere...every time...for all events,errands and activities. Take a look at just how well it has aged, look at the patina and how the leather has molded to him.

Owning 16 jackets is not the highway to this kind of success. :) Would that I had the intestinal fortitude..........

Gav

Practically Family
In the same boat here. I also have become obsessed with owning an Eastman b3, b6 or anj4. I'm so glad the one @John Lever had is all the way across the Atlantic, otherwise my resolve would have broken.

Xopher

A-List Customer
It's really quite simple: go to "A1's" thread on his new jacket...his ONLY leather jacket....the one he wears everywhere...every time...for all events,errands and activities. Take a look at just how well it has aged, look at the patina and how the leather has molded to him.

Owning 16 jackets is not the highway to this kind of success. :) Would that I had the intestinal fortitude..........

Could you please post a link so I can see photos? I am having trouble locating it. Thank you!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Actually, as a slow learner, it took me 100 leather jackets to realize that I don't really wear them much in Australia. Too warm. I sold off all but two. So now only two leather jackets sit in my cupboard. One thing that helped me in later years was to set a price limit on what I was prepared to pay. While I can easily afford a $2000 jacket, as a frugal person I refuse to shell out that amount. I set a $600 limit. Some of the best leathers I have owned cost very little. A wonderful light calfskin handmade jacket for $20. An amazing vintage Brooks for $200. These days, however I wear corduroy and tweed and Dickies work coats. They work better for me in this climate and look better on a man of 50.

A-1

One Too Many

Thanks for that! Haha.

Two things that help me:

First, looking at the vintage leather jacket photos thread. I see those people in their clothes and they look so good in them. And that’s mainly because their jackets and all their clothes look like they live in them. They have actually molded to their bodies and they look comfy as f**k in them. I can actually imagine them walking and moving around in them. I love that look and it became clear to me that I won’t ever achieve that by having 10 jackets or even more. A lot of people look more like shopwindow figures. Nice-looking clothes, but only to show them and have them, not to actually wear them. I’m totally not into that. And in the „heritage scene“, more and more rich people buy a lot of expensive stuff and they want to look like the old miners and wild west people who worked their damn asses off (wearing their clothes). But most of them just look like rich people in stiff clothes that can’t really move and don’t feel comfy at all. I don’t want my clothes to look like they’re wearing me. So, I’ll have to wear them more.

Second, it also helps to make yourselves clear that you already possess great clothes. And every time you buy something new means that the stuff you already own will get less mileage.

OK, three points: I want to stay alive. My wife would probably turn my hide into a jacket if I bought three leather jackets a year.

OK, OK four: Don’t settle for second best (not most expensive, but quality-wise). If you want a jacket but buy a similar just because it’s a little bit less expensive, you will likely be buying the other one anyway... So, just go for the one you really want. AND THEN WEAR IT!

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
As has already been said, you are asking a bunch of junkies if you should shoot up or not? If you really are broke, then no? Save until it's an easy decision. Aero, B-3's and winter aren't going anywhere and will be there when the money is.

Hang on – what about global warming? How long has the guy even got to wear another leather jacket?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo