Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Suit

matei

One Too Many
I agree with the above observations, and I think there is one more that needs to be added - wearing of a backpack/rucksack with a suit.

I often see men that have splashed out on a nice suit, only to have it crumpled and rumpled under the weight of a big aul backpack. I know that many jobs require laptops, but still...

The pairing of suits with unshined or incorrect shoes is a popular one. I've said in the past that it seems that no one shines their shoes anymore.

I saw a bloke today who had a nice, serious pinstriped suit with black velour trainers... :eusa_doh:

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I've seen the trainers on those fashion forward Italian types- they'll have on a great tailored suit but then have a pair of Pumas or something...ruins the look for me.
I also see the bottom button done on most kids my age, even on the college/just-out-of-college types.

The bad break. Forgot to list that one. But that could be a whole thread in its own.

Depending on the look a man is going for, there's going to be some argument about the break. Some prefer to go breakless, and drainpipe trousers SHOULD be breakless, so I think what ruins the look is not having the right break that the suit demands.

The pocket square/shirt/tie business we've been through before and so that's another thread.

To recap, I'd have the top ten as follows:

1. Worn out shoes - overbearing shoes
2. No pocket square
3. Drooping socks
4. Pairing it with wrong hat
5. Incorrect break for style.
6. Tie too long or wide
7. Overstuffed pockets
8. Gadgets clipped to belt.
9. Sporting a backpack
10. Open double-breasted

Any other additions? Exchanges?

Regards,

Senator Jack

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
The bad break. Forgot to list that one. But that could be a whole thread in its own.

Depending on the look a man is going for, there's going to be some argument about the break. Some prefer to go breakless, and drainpipe trousers SHOULD be breakless, so I think what ruins the look is not having the right break that the suit demands.

The pocket square/shirt/tie business we've been through before and so that's another thread.

To recap, I'd have the top ten as follows:

1. Worn out shoes - overbearing shoes
2. No pocket square
3. Drooping socks
4. Pairing it with wrong hat
5. Incorrect break for style.
6. Tie too long or wide
7. Overstuffed pockets
8. Gadgets clipped to belt.
9. Sporting a backpack
10. Open double-breasted

Any other additions? Exchanges?

Regards,

Senator Jack

Last button buttoned.

Last button buttoned.

Aaaah, here's another can of worms, Ghos7a55assin. In another thread, Spatterdash gave us the scoop on paying respect to the bloated old king. Is this one of those myths or not? Are suits specifically designed to have that bottom button undone?

I know I repeat myself, but on windy days I tend to button that bottom button while out on the street, for I HATE having my jacket flap around in the wind. Does it ruin the presentation? I'm unsure.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Ghos7a55assin said:
Last button buttoned.

Annex20-20Grant20Cary_20.jpg

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, my friend at work occasionally buttons just the bottom two in a three-button, and it drives me nuts, (I suspect it's just because he was in a hurry) and I've seen Carson Daly button just the top button, usually with one shirttail hanging out.

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
Well this one...

has already been mentioned...

BUT I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!

BIG CLUNKY STUPID RUBBER SOLED SNEAKER LIKE EXCUSES FOR SHOES!!!!!!! Might as well wear wide white walls on your feet! GEEEEEZ!

Please excuse my "venting" on this specific eyesore. STUPID!!!STUPID!!!STUPID!!!STUPID!!!lol lol lol

Thank you.

Baggers

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
Aaaah, here's another can of worms, Ghos7a55assin. In another thread, Spatterdash gave us the scoop on paying respect to the bloated old king. Is this one of those myths or not? Are suits specifically designed to have that bottom button undone?

I know I repeat myself, but on windy days I tend to button that bottom button while out on the street, for I HATE having my jacket flap around in the wind. Does it ruin the presentation? I'm unsure.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Wasn't there a thread discussing this very subject? If I recall, some jackets could be fully buttoned because of the way the front of the jacket was cut. If you'll notice, the one that Cary Grant is wearing is cut straight down the front with almost no sweep, or flaring away to the sides from the bottom button hole. Jackets with more of a curve would be left unbuttoned.

Cheers!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The Front Quarters

Baggers said:
some jackets could be fully buttoned because of the way the front of the jacket was cut.

CG's front quarters are closed so they can be buttoned though most would advise against. The more the front quarters pull away from the line of the button stance, the more "open" they are considered.

Droppy socks = Socks that have lost their elasticity and, thus, sag. Major annoyance with vintage hose. Need to get garters.

Mike, do you mean shirt cuffs folded over the jacket sleeve, or just extending beyond the sleeve?

11. Leaving the maker's tag sewed on the sleeve This was big in NY for a while. Thankfully, we don't see it too much any more.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
- Wearing the pants of your suit 'Gangbanger' style. Low on your hips and several sizes too long. Believe it or not, I've seen this.

- Anything neon colored (vest, tie etc.)

- Big, thick rubber soled Frankenstein shoes.

- 'Highwater' pants ( I suppose this falls under 'improper break'?)

- White socks with anything but a white suit and even then it is debateable unless you are wearing white shoes.

- Wrap around Oakley sunglasses. Maybe it's just me, but modern, sporty looking sunglasses just ruin the whole get up.

- Wrong watch (Calculator, digital, too sporty)

- Lance Armstrong Foundation style wrist bands.

- Chewing gum

RC

i defend the square (or chisel) shaped toe. Very traditional. Goes at least back to english 18th century riding boots.

I heard that only fastening one button of the jacket is a leftover from SB lounge suit development: Started as 1 button, moved to two and three (now even 4 or 5! :eek: ). The traditionalists stuck to 1 button buttoned, the rest undone. I'd never consider any buttoning to be wrong though, or in any way ruinous to a good suit.

I agree with most of the rest. The too long tie is one of my constant peeves.

But the absolute most annoying thing that i see every day is this: jacket arms halfway down the hand. Even approaching the first finger-ward knuckle of the fingers, thus obliterating most of the thumb.

Second to this is the suit which is simply TOO BIG. The vast majority of men wear a suit that is at least 2 sizes too big for them. The shoulders extend way too far beyond the actual shoulder, and there is so much room in the chest and waist that you could fit at least two other men inside the jacket. This is what passes for "comfort". You can see them trying suits on in stores; doing the gymnastics they've been told about by GQ to try to see if it "fits".

bk

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Ties with their tips hanging out below the coat. Ties that hang down low enough to double as thongs.

I don't like spread collars or wide knots, but that's my thing, not that they are "incorrect."

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Baron Kurtz said:
i defend the square (or chisel) shaped toe. Very traditional.

I think we're talking more Kenneth Cole square toe than Cleverley chisel toe.;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Matt Deckard said:
Long hair is fine. You don't have to have a trimmed top to be classic.

I disagree! Men should look like men. A man's hair shouldn't hang lower then his ears. No golden Fabio locks! Says me and Archie Bunker!

Now, my rant!

Low waisted pants and long ties that go past their already low hip belt!
Narrow tapered pants with 20 folds at the bottom... not only does it look sloppy, it makes a man's feet look huge!

Uncombed hair and un-tucked shirts!!! This annoys me! Also, Doc Martins thick as a 6 layer cake soled shoes! I really dislike any form of athletic shoes worn with a suit or any type of classic styled clothing formal or casual!

Arrowcollerman touched upon one that I really hate... the whole vest thing! A vest should fit on the close side; it should also cover the waistband of the trousers. One shouldn't see the shirt or braces or belt! Just make sure you wear a narrow dress belt and keep your pants high and that belt under the vest.

As for pocket squares, I'm not a Nazi about it. I wear them when I feel like getting dressed up! But, if I wear a suit and I just don't feel like wearing one, I don't. I've got plenty proof that not every man wore one all the time. As to them matching the tie or shirt, there's nothing wrong with that! I try and use a handkerchief that has similar colors that will bring out the color in the tie and suit. It's all about balance and coordination.

The grand daddy of them all is... SHORT SLEEVED SHIRTS WITH SUITS!!! AAAAAAARRRG!!! What are ya, Al Bundy or something? Short sleeved dress shirts... tisk, tisk, tisk! Not on my watch!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany