Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Suit

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
The grand daddy of them all is... SHORT SLEEVED SHIRTS WITH SUITS!!! AAAAAAARRRG!!! What are ya, Al Bundy or something? Short sleeved dress shirts... tisk, tisk, tisk! Not on my watch!

=WR=

I do this sometimes, especially during the summer months. I don't think it's so bad, the only difference is that you don't get that inch or two of linen showing. The jacket lining isn't uncomfortable or anything. It makes a big difference trying to keep cool too.

I hate pants that are way too long, but that may be because all of the vintage pants I get are too short and I hate to see that much fabric wasted. I like having long legs and all, but I hate having to let out *every* pair of pants and *every* set of sleeves.

What I hate are low-waisted pants in general, especially when paired with a long tie, open jacket, a tight belt, and a bulge of bright shirt extending way past the trousers. And that's how so many men wear their suits.

Edit: and my pocket squares, I try to get them to match *something*. I usually try to get any one color anywhere repeated somewhere else, and find it's a pretty good rule of thumb. I have this natural linen colored suit, and I wear it with a dark olive shirt, a dark olive and orange tie, and an orange pocket square, natural linen cap, black shoes, socks, belt. Even if it's as big a strech as my tie matching my socks, I don't like to wear just one thing of one color.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Briscoeteque said:
I do this sometimes, especially during the summer months. I don't think it's so bad, the only difference is that you don't get that inch or two of linen showing. The jacket lining isn't uncomfortable or anything. It makes a big difference trying to keep cool too.

Well, staying cool is all well and good but, I just find the short sleeved shirt and tie very "Mission Control" or "Al Bundy" it's not a very classic look, I don't care for it at all. If it's hot, one can roll up the sleeves and I prefer that look. If I wear short sleeves with a suit, it's always a casual cotton knit shirt or a short sleeved gabardine casual shirt... never with a tie!

=WR=

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
My 2 Centavos

I can't stand a shoe that looks like a classic wingtip but has a modern rubber sole where you almost cant tell where the ball of the foot and tha heal seperate.

Somewhere a long time ago I read a good rule of thumb that said when a man is standing his jacket should be buttoned and when he is sitting un-buttoned.

I just got back from a cruise on which they had a formal night.
They had stations all over the ship to have your picture taken. I cant tell you how many guys posed for pictures with their jackest open and their guts hanging out.

It's amazing to me how one little button can make a man look put together.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
Well, staying cool is all well and good but, I just find the short sleeved shirt and tie very "Mission Control" or "Al Bundy" it's not a very classic look, I don't care for it at all. If it's hot, one can roll up the sleeves and I prefer that look. If I wear short sleeves with a suit, it's always a casual cotton knit shirt or a short sleeved gabardine casual shirt... never with a tie!

=WR=

Eh, if I roll up the sleeves, they get bunched up in the jacket and uncomfortable. As long as I'm not walking around jacketless, which is rare, there is no difference to appearence and a difference to comfort.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Interesting, I've never had a problem feeling uncomfortable with my sleeves rolled under the coat sleeves. But, I hardly ever wear a suit in hot weather of any weight. I will wear one when it cools down at night but, if it's during the day, no suit for this man! Also, the long sleeves protect the suit's lining from getting real sweaty so, I always wear the long sleeves to protect the suits I have.

To each his own.

=WR=

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Briscoeteque said:
Eh, if I roll up the sleeves, they get bunched up in the jacket and uncomfortable. As long as I'm not walking around jacketless, which is rare, there is no difference to appearence and a difference to comfort.

So you're strictly wearing them under the suit? That's not so bed, I think all and sundry were picturing you walking around jacketless.

Maybe you could get some Chippendale's cuffs and then noone would ever know. :D

prof500

New in Town
Robert Conway said:
- Big, thick rubber soled Frankenstein shoes.

Or athletic shoes -- did someone mention that?

Robert Conway said:
- Wrong watch (Calculator, digital, too sporty)

Or no watch! What bugs me is the younger guys who don't wear a watch anymore, but just pull out their (huge honking) cell phone to see what time it is.

Wild Root

Gone Home
prof500 said:
Or athletic shoes -- did someone mention that?

Or no watch! What bugs me is the younger guys who don't wear a watch anymore, but just pull out their (huge honking) cell phone to see what time it is.

Athletic shoes have been mentioned.

Watches... oh yes, I know all about that! But, I'd rather see some one without a watch who's wearing a very period looking suit then that of a large calculator TV watch. lol I'm also not a fan of the cell phone watch thing... takes so much time to drag it out of the pocket... keep something on your wrist or a pocket watch at least!

=WR=

Jay

Practically Family
Another thing that bothers me is seeing some guys, early in the morning, mind you, with the top button of their shirt undone and their tie is slackened. I understand how this is the classic "just got home from a beat day at work" look, but I recall seeing this like crazy at the train station at 7:30 in the morning! Isn't this the time you're absolutely as polished and dressed up as you can be? I know for me it is...

Benny Holiday

The latest fashion here in Australia seems to be these really weird-looking European-style shoes that have narrow squared toes and curl up at the front, almost like little elf shoes or gondolas for the feet:

crapshoes.jpg

I can't stand to look at them. Not in the shop windows, not with jeans (yes, there are characters who wear them with jeans), not with a suit. They just look absurd to me. Give me a proper pair of brogues any day.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Benny Holiday said:
The latest fashion here in Australia seems to be these really weird-looking European-style shoes that have narrow squared toes and curl up at the front, almost like little elf shoes or gondolas for the feet:

crapshoes.jpg

I can't stand to look at them. Not in the shop windows, not with jeans (yes, there are characters who wear them with jeans), not with a suit. They just look absurd to me. Give me a proper pair of brogues any day.

Yeesh. Those look like the Keebler elves' bedroom slippers. Just yucky.

Benny Holiday

They're everywhere! In every footwear shop, just waiting to be teamed with the latest Adidas tracksuit pants! Aaaarrrghhh! They watch me, tormenting me, knowing that I like proper shoes, stalking me 'cause I'm the enemy . . .

Well, that's how it seems sometimes, anyway!lol I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they look ridiculous.

Air Boss

Familiar Face
Does anybody really care what time it is...

Since retiring from the military I have not worn a watch. Between the clock on my PC, microwave, VCR, alarm, wall, cell phone, car, office wall... I don't understand why we are so obsessed in the USA about time. I can't honestlty remember the last time I thought "Drat, if only I had my watch..."

Wild Root said:
Athletic shoes have been mentioned.

Watches... oh yes, I know all about that! But, I'd rather see some one without a watch who's wearing a very period looking suit then that of a large calculator TV watch. lol I'm also not a fan of the cell phone watch thing... takes so much time to drag it out of the pocket... keep something on your wrist or a pocket watch at least!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic