Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to travel with hats

rayk

Familiar Face
I've spent years traveling, the last five alone a couple of times per month between NY and Houston, but have never taken my hats...excepting, perhaps, one that I might have worn. What I've learned, if anything, is how to travel light and unencumbered. What do you guys do when you want to take a half dozen or so hats with you on a trip? Were I planning a trip of considerable duration, I just don't know whether I'd any longer be able to be without my lids for an extended period; yet, I can't imagine bringing six hard-shell hat boxes. Are there any secretes to transporting lids that offer space conservation and protection?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
When I'm on a trip, I only carry two hats. One stays on my head, and the other stays in the box. When it's time to wear one, the other swaps into the box.

This is especially useful when we're in between seasons where felt works better at night and straw works better in the day.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by Zohar
When I'm on a trip, I only carry two hats. One stays on my head, and the other stays in the box. When it's time to wear one, the other swaps into the box.

This is especially useful when we're in between seasons where felt works better at night and straw works better in the day.

Good tip. I was thinking of taking a couple of my hats with me when I go on vacation and I think that's just how I'll do it. Thanks!

Imahomer

Practically Family
I'm wondering if you have a "throw down" hat box you use when you travel. Something that is already sort of beat up that you wouldn't mind getting a little more beat up.

rayk

Familiar Face
Zohar, great idea. I guess that I'll simply have to be satisfied with a couple of my favorites. Thanks.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Imahomer,
Try emailing Kathy Sturm in Oregon about her hard case plastic traveling hat boxes that she sells for western hats. If I recall correctly they are about $40 but are wonderful for protecting hats. Her email is
hatlady@highstream.net
Please use my name & it'll get her attention.

havershaw

Practically Family
Personally, I like old stuff...so I looked high and low on eBay until I found an old-school hatbox that's actually a piece of luggage whch I could travel with. I finally found one (though I never did find a use for the green fedora that came with it).

It still has steamship decals on the side which say "THIS BAGGAGE IS WANTED ON THE VOYAGE" on the side, then the details of the ship it was on (Waterman Steamship Corp, I think).

anyway, it's a neat piece of luggage. You actually put your hat inside a regular vintage (or not) hatbox, then put that inside this case, which zippers. There are probably plenty out there. Stetson made a great leather one for the Stetson One Hundred. I've seen at least five of those on eBay in the past six months.

The plastic ones are probably better, but...well, I likes the old stuff.

I do agree with the others: two hats; one on head, one in case. I tried putting two in the case once, so I'd have three...and regretted it.

jpdesign

Vendor
Peters Bros. also carries those plastic cases. I make some out of Diamond-plate aluminium. They are a bit on the heavy side but I carry one around sometimes and don't have any problems. And I am not a big guy. It has latches that can accept locks and has weather stripping to seal the lid. One guy bolted one down into the back of his truck. to use as a lock box.

Imahomer

Practically Family
I'm thinking that I want to bring a couple of hats with me when I go to Europe later this summer. So, I want a hat box that will stand up to getting tossed around. I'm going to have to look into these.

rayk

Familiar Face
I wonder whether the case that holds six hats requires that they be stacked? Were that so, I'd concerned for the welfare of my lids. A case that held two hats side by side would be ideal . I'll have to email Mike the Hatter for additional info. Thanks.

Fedora

Vendor
The plastic ones are probably better, but...well, I likes the old stuff.

Ah, we think the same Havershaw. I am in the market for a good vintage hat box that looks like fine luggage. I missed one on ebay last year, along with the Stetson 100 that came with it. Fedora

Imahomer

Practically Family
I like the old stuff too, but I don't want to stress out while I'm traveling if my nice vintage hat box starts taking some hits! I think if I had a sturdy plastic box it would serve me much better. especially since the only people that would see it would be the people at the airport and the maid who cleans my room!

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
I had a wooden custom made hat case made a few months ago. It is about the size (a little larger) of a regular hat box and is fairly heavy (10 lbs). I take it every time I travel. I looks neat. The coolest hat case I have seen is Peters Brother's diamond plate hat box. It is literally made from diamond plate metal and is able to be bolted in the back of a pickup truck or jeep. Now THAT is a hat case.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hat Travel

I went to Chicago to visit Optimo almost two years ago. I really debated about which hat to bring. Heavy felt? (Chicago has cool springs?). Lightweight (could be warm?).

And what hat to "impress" my hosts?

The bottom line: When travelling, bring ONE hat. If you anticipate a mix of weather, then the lightweight summer felt is great! Any chance of rain some days, it's ok, but a straw could be a poor choice.

If you went to Hawaii, the only hat is the straw, despite the tropical rains. If you've worn any felt in muggy, hot weather, it is downright uncomfortable.

Two hats? No. Half the fun is buying stuff on vacation. Remember you gotta lug the stuff back home!

An old European traveller once told me that when planning a long overseas trip: place the clothes you think you'll need in one pile, and in another, the cash you think you'll need.

Then half the clothes and double the money...you'll have a great time!!!!:p

Imahomer

Practically Family
Not bad thinking Andy. I'm still thinking I'll take two hats when I go on my vacation though. I'll be gone a month, but on the other hand, I'll probably pick up a hat while I'm over there. Hmmm... So many decisions!!!

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by MK
I am currently bidding on a Stetson 100 leather hat box/case on E-Bay.

If some scoundrel doesn't snake it away [bad], I will post some pics. It looks exactly like what I have been looking for. :D

I'm glad you said something. You are safe from me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21