Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to travel with hats

Baggers

Practically Family
Kaleponi Craig said:
I dunno, seems like a big hassle, especially when you're only allowed one carryon...KC

Well, actually you can get away with two (a roller bag and something else, say a laptop or shoulder bag or purse), but I agree. It's just one more thing to carry and to get through security. I try to travel as light as possible, particularly when flying, and I've had no difficulties putting my AB fedora in the overhead. I just wait until everyone has finished slinging the heavy stuff and then make whatever minor adjustments necessary to the contents of the bin to get it to fit in on top. And, like you and Hemingway, even if it does get bent out of shape, a good beaver hat will bounce right back.

Cheers!

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Wearing your hat on a plane

Didn't Indy always wear his fedora on aircraft??

jeboat:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I think I agree with you. There's a certain level of fussiness past which I don't want to go. If I want to wear a hat on a plane, I'll do it. Once I get there, I'll figure out how to keep it reasonably safe - and it won't hurt it to get smooshed around a bit.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Keep it on.

I wear mine in the plane. Why hassle with rolling it up to put it into a can? Why bother caring a hat box with you? Just keep it on or, put it on your lap when you're relaxing. If you need to use the tray, put the hat back on. It's as easy as 1, 2, 3!

=WR=

Portable Hat Hook

Seems to me, we had talked about handling the hat while at a restaurant, and someone mentioned the idea of a small portable hat hook. If you had a small hat hook that you could hang onto something and then put your hat on the hook to free you up for the duration. Have it so it has a "Spatula" that can slip under or behind something and a clip to clip it to something, then the hook itself could be an upside down U and the hat fits over the U. Travelers Hat (and coat) Hook?

I figure it could clip to the magazine pouch below the tray?

Is there a big market for this hook? Not yet.

TomMason

New in Town
OK. I'll jump in here. I'm in Germany for a trade show - just flew in as it were. I fly a good deal and for the past year I have always worn a hat. I have not had a lot of trouble puting it in the overheads and a few times I have put it on the floor in front of my feet on its crown. Basically, if you are going to be part of that elite group travels with dignity and style you are going to take some hits. We love our hats, but they are made to be worn. This trip I am wearing my new Borsalino Alessandria. My Italian business associates are green with envy.

matei

One Too Many
Hello!

I fly quite a bit as well, and I either put it in my lap or pull it down over my eyes (Indy style I guess) and catch a few Zzzz's. I would be leery of placing it in the overhead bin, as people try to cram everything but the kitchen sink (and even that gets thrown in on some flights).

Using it as an eye shade has its advantages - it makes it a lot easier to catch the aforementioned Zzzz's.

MattC said:
I fly about 75K miles a year. I keep it on my head. If there is room in the overhead when we are about to take off, up it goes.
I think I have only been on one flight where there was room in the over head compartment for anything I brought on. I am always in the last group boarded so evryone with their second set of carry on stuff disguised as oversized hand bags, shopping bags and attache type cases has filled the overheads completely!

Oh the good old days of airplane travel:
leeadventure.jpg

When I travel I stick the hats in my suitcase. These are fedora though and they straighten out fairly easily. The most they get is a crushed crown. That is how I got the hats to the QM last year. :cheers1: Two in the suitcase and one on the head. ;)

Regards to all,

J

P.S. The Lee in this ad travels very well in the suitcase.

MattC

A-List Customer
I hate people who put 2 things in the overhead

When you travel a great deal, you realize there are unwritten rules of the game. And one of them is that nice people just put one thing in the overhead, usually a rolling suitcase.

Magus

Practically Family
Or...Make it an adventure...

When I travel I admit to sometimes taking a non-brimmed hat just for the ease of travel (okok...go ahead and throw the stones now). It IS however dark grey "Old Style" paneled wool "dockworkers" hat at least.

BUT...what I like to do is buy a hat where I am. That way I have a memento, perhaps a unique hat, and I only have to take it on the plane one way.

:cool:

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Actually....

MattC said:
When you travel a great deal, you realize there are unwritten rules of the game. And one of them is that nice people just put one thing in the overhead, usually a rolling suitcase.

....I travel a lot and that hasn't been my experince. I see people wheeling in suitcases...usually too big and try and stuff them on top. They are either nervous-Nellys who won't trust checking their bag of pack-rats trying to bring too much. Experienced travelers check their luggage. Up top I put my briefcase, my trench coat and my hat...usually in my hat can, one on top of another. It makes for three layers and takes as much room as a small suitcase.

The worse is when some guy comes in extremely late with a bulging suitcase that wants jam it in with a crowbar and crush everybody elses belongings. :rolleyes:

20thCenturyTim

New in Town
My first post in the Lounge! Yea!

jeboat said:
Didn't Indy always wear his fedora on aircraft??

jeboat:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Exactly! I wear it unless I am napping. Then I put it over my eyes or in my lap. One of the reasons I wear it, is to show the rest of the world, that someone remembers when a time when travelling meant doing it with a sense of style and decorum. Which can really be hard to remember when the person next to you is in a tank top t-shirt, sweats and the dreaded flip-flops. I would never trust it in the overhead bin. Images of the flight attendant smushing the bin contents in and slamming the door on my hat go through my head.

20thCenturyTim

New in Town
matei said:
I would be leery of placing it in the overhead bin, as people try to cram everything but the kitchen sink (and even that gets thrown in on some flights).

An America West flight attendant said she once saw the sink for real! I do have my beaten, water repellant, black roll-up fedora that I will wear on road trips sometimes. That I just put in my back pack. It's a lot more fun to wear a nice one. Though I get a lot of comments on the roll up and the shape it's wedged itself into over the years. People seem to like it. <shrug>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24