Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to travel with hats

Sam,

Just read your post about Riders in the Sky, great group of guys. We try to catch them when they come out to Ohio.

As for car travelling, I only take one hat generally, if I take more, I use one of those plastic bins with a snap down top, and stack the hats lightly inside. We travel with 6 dogs, so that way the hats are nice and protected.

Another option is that you can find hat cases on Ebay under luggage. There were travel cases made by the famous luggage companies for both women and men that will come up now and then. The men's ones were usually square from what i have seen.

Engrishman

Familiar Face
Is it uncommon to leave my hat on top of my car's dashboard when I drive? It is extremely uncommon for us to roll down the windows, so my hats are never at the risk of flying away...

I lost a great Stetson straw to the back seat, forgot it was there and folded the seat down for groceries!! I once saw a wire frame setup for the ceiling of the car that held a hat brim against the roof liner, it was in a custom car magazine and I've been on the lookout since. Might have to fashion one myself, for my 50 Plymouth.

Those wire hold-your-hat-upside-down-against the-headliner-of-your-car-or-pickup gizmos are often available at Western wear retailers.

This one here (see page 64 of the online catalog) ...

http://www.noconabelts.com/Online-Catalog.aspx

... is called a "Hat Saver."

M&F sells to the trade only, so unless you have an actual, physical storefront, it's unlikely they'd do business with you. But I'd imagine they can tell you who might have what you want.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Is it uncommon to leave my hat on top of my car's dashboard when I drive? It is extremely uncommon for us to roll down the windows, so my hats are never at the risk of flying away...
I've been experimenting with that myself. Usually I rest my hat on its crown on the seat beside me. When I have a passenger, I put it in the back seat. But it slides around, making it hard to retrieve from my position behind the wheel when I've parked. So, recently I've been putting my hat on the dash on the passenger side -- brim down and with the forward swoop of the brim over the edge, so as not to get distorted.

Of course they still slide as I make a turn or come sharply to a stop. I don't think it's gonna work in the long run.

Engrishman

Familiar Face
Very uncommon. In fact I've never seen a hat on top of your car's dashboard, if that's any indication.

It's more of a personal preference thing, so people don't end up sitting on it. Besides, it doesn't make sense to pack a hat for short drives, anyhow.

This seems like a situation where correlation doesn't equal causation: that is, the hats themselves are so uncommon these days that there are almost no opportunities see them on top of a dashboard anyhow.

(Also, I remove my hat when I enter a car. Even for short drives.)

So, recently I've been putting my hat on the dash on the passenger side -- brim down and with the forward swoop of the brim over the edge, so as not to get distorted.

Of course they still slide as I make a turn or come sharply to a stop. I don't think it's gonna work in the long run.

I've tried doing this, but the reasons you mentioned above had me try putting the hat on top of the dashboard in front of me and to the left, just enough to not obscure my vision while I drive. I find it works much better, and my hat never falls off (something about the way my car's dashboard is shaped keeps the hat in place).

Last edited:

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I rarely place my hat on the dash, but with a Jeep Wrangler it is quite easy to do so. Wouldn't even consider it with the top and doors off though!

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
hey Tonyb, I spent some time looking at the link you posted up there and I'm not sure it's the right place. The website shows the online catalog and I found two different page 64's but no wire hat holder! I'll admit I'm all thumbs but still!!!!

One Too Many
When I travel in car usually use one and in plastic bags carry two more hanging in perchs, in this way I can use trhee diferent ribbons or colors. My truck does not troubles to carry is a Suburban´88, I could carry any more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy