Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How warm is a B-3?

Brummbaer

New in Town
Hi all of you. its my first post here and im happy to be here.

I want to bye a B-3 from Eastman Leathers, but im in doubt that i will be wear it often, if the Jacket is so warm like it lokks like. Im living in Berlin and the cold Winter are there but only 2 months a year. For all of you, who wear a B-3, can you wear it at spring and autumn time to, or is everything abowe 0°C to hot for the Jacket, and you start to sweat? Hope you can answer me this question.

Thanks

Brummbaer

normanf

One of the Regulars
Hi all of you. its my first post here and im happy to be here.

I want to bye a B-3 from Eastman Leathers, but im in doubt that i will be wear it often, if the Jacket is so warm like it lokks like. Im living in Berlin and the cold Winter are there but only 2 months a year. For all of you, who wear a B-3, can you wear it at spring and autumn time to, or is everything abowe 0°C to hot for the Jacket, and you start to sweat? Hope you can answer me this question.

Thanks

Brummbaer

A B-3, like my Tilley's B-3 works best in temperatures 20 F and below. Its too warm to wear above 40 F. Good for mountain regions and places with severe winter weather. In milder climates, the B-6, ANJ-4 or D-1 would be a more appropriate sheepskin leather jacket.

Mark

Practically Family
hi Brummbaer

Don't know about Eastman leathers but i have a Cirrus Defender sheepskin. I had it made with shorter fur so i can wear it in milder weather. Saying that its never going to get the same wear as my Aero FQHH Highwayman but they are never-the-less beautiful jackets and worth the expense even if its only wearable 2/3 months of the year.

Cheers
Mark

normanf

One of the Regulars
B-3s were originally designed to be worn by bomber crews who sat in unheated cabins at 20,000 feet and it could get quite cold up there in those days so it was more than a seasonal jacket.

Jules

New in Town
If i wear my Eastman B-3 at 5C and im just walking around outside wearing a longsleeve Tshirt it isnt too warm but i use the zip and a hat to regulate my temperature.
Below 0C its great ,nice and warm but because its quite short i prefer to wear a Tshirt tucked in with a longsleve shirt or light sweater to stop and draughts .
Sheepskin seems to be quite good at keeping you comfotable over a fairly wide temperature range. Combined with a hat and gloves it can keep you warm down to some pretty cold temperatures I have used my above clothing down to -27C plus wearing thermals under my trousers. Even if you only used it for 2 months i dont think you would be dissapointed.

Giftmacher

One Too Many
A B-3, like my Tilley's B-3 works best in temperatures 20 F and below. Its too warm to wear above 40 F. Good for mountain regions and places with severe winter weather. In milder climates, the B-6, ANJ-4 or D-1 would be a more appropriate sheepskin leather jacket.

You're right, I tried it today (temp around 42°F) At least protected me from strong wind.

tonypaj

Practically Family
How warm is warm? I live in the Geneva region, close to the mountains. Last year I wore it max 2 weeks, this fall I've tried it on twice and changed jackets by noon. Close to 0 C is OK, warmer than that, there are better choices for me. A B-3 is excellent in cold mornings with my Jeep, though, the neck stays warm, and you just feel totally steady in that huge mass of fur.

Chrissss

New in Town
Hello,

I'm living in belgium and have several B3, today we have 8°C and I wear my new Cirrus (with long wool) with only a teeshirt , it was perfect, the touch of wool on the skin is really cool.
cirrus have 2 lenght of wool, 8 mm and 12mm, i have also a Cirrus 8mm that i wear when we have between 10° and 15°;

finally, I could wear a B3 from october to mars, long or short wool depends what I wear under it, but usually I only wear a teeshirt or a shirt under my B3 or a very light sweater.

hope it helps
Chris

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi Brummbaer;

Years ago I had an original B-3 jacket that I really liked . It was a real beater though and the shearling was worn thin. It didn't really keep me that warm. Even strolling around Frankfurt at Christmas time drinking Gluhvein, I was usually not that warm. The B-3 was fairly snug and about all I could wear under it was a long sleeve turtleneck T-shirt.

Then I really got smart and bought an original Irvin jacket, made in the late 1930s. It was of sufficient size that I could utilize proper layering if I desired. I never really had to........that jacket was the warmest piece of clothing I had ever experienced. When I got to Arizona I sold the Irvin. When I see pics of John Lever's and aswatland's Irvins, I kick myself in the backside for ever selling it.

But the shearling jackets can be quite pleasant (at least for me) to wear in more moderate temperatures. It all depends on one's build and their tolerance to cold. A fat sedentary guy probably can't wear a B-3 above O degrees C. A more slender fellow can probably get more use out the B-3.

If I lived in Berlin, I'd probably wear that Eastman 4 months or more out of the year like Chrissss. Even if you can only wear it for 2 months.......buy it because it's a terrific jacket. Just my thoughts..

Welcome to the Lounge and..

Best regards,
coffee

Last edited:

John Lever

One Too Many
I think a B-3 would be great for Berlin.
I live in Southern England where it is warmer than continental Europe, I still find it possible to wear my B-3 at temperatures below 5 deg. C.
As has been suggested just adjust layering accordingly. A long sleeved cotton shirt would work when it's cool and not cold, just have half the zip open. When really cold, zip the jacket right up and perhaps ad a thin merino knitted sweater.
The main problem I have with heavy shearlings is shoulder fatigue due to weight. My Anj-4's are even thicker and heavier so after two hours it can be a problem.
The Eastman B-3's have a shorter wool than some others and might be the best choice.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Hi Brummbaer;

A fat sedentary guy probably can't wear a B-3 above O degrees C. A more slender fellow can probably get more use out the B-3.

Interesting, I have seen the exact opposite here in the Alps. People hiking, skiing, moving, need way less in form of protection than the inactive ones. They also use totally different stuff, leather jackets are really not up to the standards of today, and are not generally worn for other purposes but for the look.

P.S. B-3 was designed for somewhat sedentary purposes, sitting in a cold place for many hours... Anyway, I think it depends on the individual, I was born in a seriously cold climate, not so far from the Arctic Circle, so my idea of cold may be different from other people's.

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
Interesting, I have seen the exact opposite here in the Alps. People hiking, skiing, moving, need way less in form of protection than the inactive ones. They also use totally different stuff, leather jackets are really not up to the standards of today, and are not generally worn for other purposes but for the look.

I'm just saying an overweight person usually doesn't feel the cold as much as a more slender person. Now, obviously anyone engaged in physical activity won't feel the cold as much as they would just sitting. By the way, do you see more slender, in shape people or more fat people doing physical activities in the Alps?

Your last sentence is debatable. I don't want to ride a motorcycle with Gore-tex as my only protection if I slide along the road. And I won't wear a leather jacket while skiing or hiking. To each his own....different fabrics for different activities.

Regards,
coffee

tonypaj

Practically Family
I'm just saying an overweight person usually doesn't feel the cold as much as a more slender person. Now, obviously anyone engaged in physical activity won't feel the cold as much as they would just sitting. By the way, do you see more slender, in shape people or more fat people doing physical activities in the Alps?

Your last sentence is debatable. I don't want to ride a motorcycle with Gore-tex as my only protection if I slide along the road. And I won't wear a leather jacket while skiing or hiking. To each his own....different fabrics for different activities.

Regards,
coffee

Yes, people doing physical activities tend to be on the slim side. But the fat people doing physical activities seem to have totally different needs for clothing.

Now I do not ride motorbikes, however, most people here riding bikes tend to wear modern fabrics, possibly a question of money, possibly a question of choice. Leather here is more left to Harley kind of people, who then again ride bikes just for leisure, as they have cars for their commutes.

I guess we're saying the same thing from different perspectives, it ain't Arizona here...

Jeez. We're in Europe and my son has enjoyed his Aero B3 most of the trip. He's thin, s d the temps have been 30's-50's (f)
Wind plays a big part. As does body type and activity.
Some folks are saying some odd things in these threads.
You should see how folks are dressed tonight shopping in Paris. It's cold.
B3's are seem as are G1 types and lots of big scarves and wooly pullies.

Brummbaer

New in Town
Hi all!

First, thanks for all the answers. Now im unsure, if i should bye the B-3 or a B-6/D-1 jacket. I definitly can aford only one warm jacket, and the D-1 is wearable a longer period. But on the other side a B-3 has a lot of style and spirit. A Shop in Berlin will have some D-1 Redskin from Aero leather in two weeks, and i will go and try this. But in two weeks i need to decide wich jacket will be mine. If weather wont be a question i would immediately take thw B-3... Please keep writing your experiences about the B-3. This helps me to decide.

Thanks

Brummbaer

Hi Butte;

Yeah I've been known to overcomplicate issues/subjects.

Guess you heard about the Santa Ana winds going crazy back home.........hope everything is alright where you live.

coffee

Nope. Got word a huge walnut tree fell in my house. No joke.
Nothing I can do until I get home. Called insurance to get started. Nice huh?
Wasn't referring to you about this thread. Some say a B3 can't be worn in over 40° is stupid.
B3's are great for 50's and below. Just adjust what's under. Don't zip up. Don't run marathons. lol

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
It probably varies from person to person but I find that my B-3 works well in 0 (degrees C) and below and also in cool and wet/damp conditions - maybe up to 10 degrees C or so. As the others have said, unzipping or zipping up the jacket can help regulate your body temperature.

Good luck in your search...

Noel

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Hi all!

First, thanks for all the answers. Now im unsure, if i should bye the B-3 or a B-6/D-1 jacket. I definitly can aford only one warm jacket, and the D-1 is wearable a longer period. But on the other side a B-3 has a lot of style and spirit. A Shop in Berlin will have some D-1 Redskin from Aero leather in two weeks, and i will go and try this. But in two weeks i need to decide wich jacket will be mine. If weather wont be a question i would immediately take thw B-3... Please keep writing your experiences about the B-3. This helps me to decide.

Thanks

Brummbaer

I've a redskin D-1 from Aero and I would recommend that jacket, especially if you want a snug and fit jacket. The only problem that I have is that it's very warm and I use it just for few days per year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR