Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How warm is a B-3?

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I would also recommend the B-6 or D-1. For me, the B-3 would be way too hot. I also like the simpler design of the B-6/D-1.

In Seattle, I would only wear my B-6 a couple of times a year, so I sold it. For me, wearing the B-6 was only comfortable if it was below freezing. In Munich, you should get some good use out of it.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
YOu know when I read that you can "only" wear the jacket for two months . . .my first thought was "what a lucky SOB!" . . .I wear a B-6 about two to four weeks a year in Seattle and we live near the mountains. . . 33 degs today so it's cleared for action . . . The worst thing that's gonna happen is you're gonna get a B-3 . . .then if it's too warm for you . .you're gonna roll it for a B-6 or D-1 . . . . We've all been there!

Brummbaer

New in Town
Hi, what i can see online, is that the D-1 should be noticeable "colder" than the B-3. On the pictures the wool lenght of the D-1 is much shorter. Who here has both jackets and can compare them both?

normanf

One of the Regulars
Hi, what i can see online, is that the D-1 should be noticeable "colder" than the B-3. On the pictures the wool lenght of the D-1 is much shorter. Who here has both jackets and can compare them both?

The D-1 was worn by ground crews and it was lighter and more maneuverable than than the B-6. You might also take a look at Noble House's M-44, which is the last sheepskin jacket ever made.

http://www.noble-house.eu/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/29/products_id/54

Radz108

One of the Regulars
I'm lucky I get to wear my ELC RW B3 consistently starting mid october up to April in some cases. Canadian winters can be long and brutal. Around Oct-Nov., it is on average between -2C to +6C. I can wear my B3 jacket with a short sleeved shirt or a light cotton short sleeved shirt without feeling too hot. If it gets too warm, I open the jacket up and it regulates the temperature fine. By Dec to March, the temps can drop to -30C at times. I find wearing a thin merino wool sweater under the B3 works very well. I am very confortable in -30C weather with the B3, a thin merino wool sweater, a toque and gloves. IMHO I find my B3 jacket warmer than any down filled jacket I've used (tried Eddie Bauer parka, North Face parkas etc. - Haven't tried Canada Goose yet though). I have to agree with John though regarding weight. After wearing it for a 3-4 hours, it does get a bit heavy on the shoulders and I do find it does restrict mov't a little compared to other jackets (could just be my jacket needs to break in a little more since I got it around March 2011).
I also have a very nice Spanish Merino Shearling Jacket with similar cut and wool thickness to a B6 but the outer leather is more suede like. I can use it for weather as high as + 10 to +13C with a light shirt underneath and as low as -6 to -8C with a moderate wool sweater underneath comfortably. Anything lower than -6C I tend to use my ELC B3 or my other shearling coat which is B3 inspired but is a little longer length (covers my bottom a bit more), has 1 inch merino shearling fur and has a detachable shearling hood.

Cheers RG:D

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
normanf said:
B-3s were originally designed to be worn by bomber crews who sat in unheated cabins at 20,000 feet and it could get quite cold up there in those days so it was more than a seasonal jacket.
Many moons ago, I had a glider pilot licence and I can tell you that even flying as low as 3,000 feet on the hottest summer day you will start thinking you should have worn a windcheater or a sweatshirt...

20,000 feet must have been a horror for those men.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR