Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How we dress and what we drive

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The thing about all automobiles and their vices/virtues is that people ultimately buy what they want despite input from others solicited or not. If you want to complete your perceived picture of being full vintage there are legions of vintage cars available for $10,000 or less.

"Real vintage people don't drive."lol

What was clogging up the streets in all those vintage films then?lol

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
Ah, good! Cheaper horsehide for jackets and coats.

Here are my rides:

Fantasy
DSC_0318.JPG

1935 Ford Fordor Touring Sedan.

Reality
o_DSC00538.JPG

1999 VW Passat.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The '35 is a lot less expensive than you think. For about $15,000 you an get a complete, well functioning car with $23,000 as a top out price for an super-excellent car.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I haven't owned a car in over five years. I live downtown and work is only four blocks away. I know that's not common, but I've adapted quite successfully by walking, bicycling and using public transportation (a friend here and now, too).

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Here's my daily driver.
I would describe its creature comforts and ride as "vintage".
Nothing practical about this car but I like to drive and this car is fun!
The Elise makes a Vespa look big :D
Elise1.jpg

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
pgoat said:
Nice bike! I used to have an '81 CB750.....no helmet laws in OR?
Thanks mine still needs a lot of work but man those 4 cylanders fire and ... goooo!
Actually the pic is from NY before I moved where there are helmet laws that I obey. I was just moving the bike after the last ride before I left it for a while.

Does 77 count as vintage here?? That may be pushing it... I would love a Tiger 100...
thejump.jpg
Just like McQueen

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
This depends where you grew up. Neither my father or mother or my wife's father or mother (they were born in the early 1900s) ever owned or drove a car. Both were sucessful professional families and were typical of UK people of their age. Car ownership in the UK was slight until the late 1930s and then only the most well-off could afford a car until the late 50s. That's what I see in photographs taken in my home town. Hollywood was probably different.

For what it's worth I used to live for old cars - since 1979 I haven't owned a car newer than 1937 - but I won't drive anymore because I want to use a car as it was meant to be used (as regular transport) rather than as a 'show queen'. Where I live, anyone who thinks they are enjoying any form of 'vintage motoring' experience as a commuter under modern day road conditions obviously didn't drive before the 60s.

If I moved to the Highlands of Scotland or somewhere where road conditions are like 'the old days' I might dig out my 1937 Ford again and use it, but for now, no thanks. I like using vintage public transport, that feels much more authentic and pleasant.

Just my opinion.

Alan
Twitch said:
<Snip>

"Real vintage people don't drive."lol

What was clogging up the streets in all those vintage films then?lol

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Alan is that your dog? He's beautiful.
I drive a 1953 Buick Special on weekends or when I'm going somewhere I know parking will accomodate "Ethel". Most parking spaces are very small, sometimes even too small for my daily driver (2004 Neon SXT). The neon doesn't have all that much style but its pretty zippy and great on gas.
I like to take the train if I'm going downtown or walk if I'm staying in my neighborhood.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Scarlett,

That's the late, lamented 'Sparky' - recently deceased and much missed. I hate showing off things but I thought I'd put a photo of him as my avatar for a few weeks as a tribute to a fine dog. Fortunately he lives on in his almost identical son 'Bandit' who is pestering me to take him for a walk even as I type...Down boy!

He is, as I'm sure you know, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier - my local breed.

Alan

scarlett said:
Alan is that your dog? He's beautiful.
I drive a 1953 Buick Special on weekends or when I'm going somewhere I know parking will accomodate "Ethel". Most parking spaces are very small, sometimes even too small for my daily driver (2004 Neon SXT). The neon doesn't have all that much style but its pretty zippy and great on gas.
I like to take the train if I'm going downtown or walk if I'm staying in my neighborhood.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
I have a Land Rover - Disco II which pretty much gives me license to wear whatever I want. It goes from black tie at the opera friday night to shooting tweeds on saturday morning. It is also a fine match with safari gear which is my summer look. As far as vintage, I think that the Disco has vintage spirit in that there are many comforts and niceties that were found in the higher end cars of long ago. I'm looking at getting a Defender when I get back home from this deployment. I don't know if I'll be able to wrestle the Disco away from my wife who's gotten rather used to it while I've been gone.
I grew up with a 1928 Model A Roadster. As a child I used to ride all over in the rumble seat. That was before seat belt laws.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic: Alan, I am sorry to hear he has passed. Thank you for sharing his photo with us, he is most worthy of "showing off".

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Scarlett,

Thank you. He was a fine dog. Here is Bandit, his son, in a less than serious pose.
Bigtings.jpg

Alan

scarlett said:
:eek:fftopic: Alan, I am sorry to hear he has passed. Thank you for sharing his photo with us, he is most worthy of "showing off".

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

I wear a coat and tie to work. Nothing vintage or flashy---just plain, conservative lawyer clothes.

I wear faded khakis or jeans with some sort of vintage flight jacket during my off hours. For those of you who are interested in flight jackets, I generally prefer older G-1s and L-2bs.... when it is cold, wear early-sixties MA-1s.

My driving is split between my Dodge Ram extended cab and my Jeep Wrangler. I haven't owned a car since 1994.

Atticus

pgoat

One Too Many
My first car....

Sorry I had to revive - just scanned a few pics of my old heap. 1954 Chevy 210.
pgoat

I still have dreams about driving this car. It just was beyond my financial means to restore it so it had to go. But it was the sweetest ride....three on the tree, and no power steering, kids!
pgoat

It was especially fun working on this....235 str8 8 Blue Flame....yes, you could pull all 6 plugs and not lose any skin off your knuckles! I didn't know a wrench from a pair of pliers, but I even spliced in that fuel filter myself. The yellow tower on the far side of the valve cover is the oil filter - you popped the lid and the filter lifted out - it looked like a roll of toilet paper with a paint can handle!
pgoat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred