Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How young is too young to wear a Fedora?

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I should probably tell you I don't condone underage smoking... especially cigars!! Unless of course it's paired with a great hat, so, you're off the hook. ;)

It's good to see there will be more generations of Loungers in the future.

Havana

One of the Regulars
Got my first fedora, a 100% beaver old men's shop special, when I was 10. I paid a grand total of $36 for it. I still remember the day I rode my bike 7 seven miles to the store to buy it. Many times I would just visit that place to look at their glorious wall of hats. That place is gone with wind now but I think of it often. I'm now 33 and still wear my fedoras. I've had my share of harassment (mostly in the teen years) and my share of compliments. If you want it, do it and don't let anyone stop you.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is never to young to have a good hat. But the question is where do you get child sized hats? Anyone have any recommendations? personal experiences? My wife wants me to find one for our child. Obviously some people have them. where did you get them?

Magus

Practically Family
binkmeisterRick said:
Heck, I've been wearing fedoras as long as I can remember. Even as a half pint, I used to go around sporting one of my grandfather's old hats. The REAL question is how old is too old to wear a beanie?:p

Well...if I remember correctly. If you are Burgess Meredith or Charles Bronson. You can be preeeeetyyyy old and stoll pull one off. :cool:

matei

One Too Many
When I was younger I just didn't look right wearing a fedora. At least that is what I thought, and my wife seconded (vocally) my opinion.

However, I think the problem was that I wasn't trying "real" hats, and they didn't go particularly well with my attire at the time. Once I tried a something of quality (a grey HJ), my wife said "go for it".

I did, and I haven't looked back since!

It is a bit of a shock to see yourself with a hat if you aren't used to it. I think "back in the day" people started wearing them when they considered themselves adults. We have a picture of my wife's grandfather - he couldn't have been more than 18 in the picture - from the 1930's. He was wearing a hat and a new suit and looked fine.

Well, I haven't contacted Art about this but the wife and I had an idea about getting one infant size. I am not sure how feasible it is because there just aren't the blocks out there to get the shape right. You would have to improvise or have the block custom made. It is also hard to make something for someone who isn't even born yet but that never stopped me before.
I think I will go to the store and check out the newborn stuff. I know they have those stupid ugly knit caps and that can give me an idea for size relative to age. Then I will add an inch or so. Everythign has to be proportional though. That means a six inch crown and a two inch brim just aren't going to work. :p I'll have to think about this some more and then spring it on Art. ;)

Regards,

J

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Like it or not its on. :p :fedora:

Regards,

J

Now THAT is the right attitude!! It almost makes me want to get married and go have some kids to get hats custom made for.

Wait.. NO..

Anyways... i'm also interested in finding small size hats, like for a 1 year old. The only bad part is that the kid would need a new hat every year or so as their noggin takes shape.

Mr_Misanthropy said:
Now THAT is the right attitude!! It almost makes me want to get married and go have some kids to get hats custom made for.

Wait.. NO..

Anyways... i'm also interested in finding small size hats, like for a 1 year old. The only bad part is that the kid would need a new hat every year or so as their noggin takes shape.

YES. ;)
The new hat every week or so does have its draw backs. I think if you get it about an inch or two bigger it will fit for a longer time. Like they say on Are You Being Served: "It will ride up with wear." :p

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy