Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hudson's Bay point blanket coats

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
An unusual one
E3764B90439B4DBAAD2B38357C61D434.jpg

2D70A6FCA44D4360AF7445C50B643D0E.jpg

9EFC8252239C43689F432F6F934AB4ED.jpg

D9E92D4903DF49A3BDC6B9E349B98CEC.jpg

A9E7021FA08D4351AADA3BE9757B1A1E.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Dinerman said:

IMG_2355.jpg

And the other one, which I bought so I'd be sure I had one that fit. It's newer, and as you can see, the sleeves are too short. A bit of a different cut, especially in the lapels, and the stripes are oriented differently than the first coat. The texture of the blanket is also different; the older coat is thicker and fuzzier, the newer coat is thinner and smoother, and seems like it would be slightly less warm. The belt on the newer coat is two layers of blanket, making it harder to push through the plastic buckle. The belt on the older coat is one layer backed in silk, with a metal buckle.
IMG_2348.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
thunderw21 said:
Love that coat. I assume the red is that vibrant? Really nice.
Thanks. Yes, the color's that saturated. It's a shame I only get home to get the coat now when the weather's blisteringly hot. Have to wait another four or five months before I can wear it for real. Though unlined, it's super thick and fuzzy. Seems like it will be wonderfully warm.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I think I got mine for about $60 each, though I've seen some go into a couple hundred bucks. Depends on the era, brand, color, size and cut of the coat.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
$1326.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_12826wt_1144

From the listing:
Rare 1920's era thick and heavy wool blanket coat, in brown with a burnt orange stripe, JOHN WANAMAKER NEW YORK. Double breasted, belted waist, hip and hand warmer pockets, hang loop, sealed inner seams, steel belt buckle, arm cuff straps, belt and pocket flaps backed with cotton fabric. Condition is good for it's age, there is some wear to the cuff and collar edges, there are some areas of low pile to the wool mostly from wear, and some from moth nips; there is a cut at bottom back, and a deeper area of pile loss on the wrist (not a hole)- both are pictured,- the elbow areas have surface wear, as do the undersides of the pocket flaps, and the belt has several nips. Also one button looks to have been replaced. Measurements are:

*pit to pit: 21.5"
*sleeve from shoulder: 25"
*length from collar to hem: 31.5"
*across shoulder: 17"

0BD41620FCAF4456B6721BB135AC1954.jpg

6E8DEAB31B1541D6BB4DF8CAB0DCD4DA.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
"Wow, I have a Hudson 3 bar red and black blanket on my bed.
What a feeling it would be to go from under the blanket to under
the blanket jacket. I'd probably fall asleep on the way to work.

Somewhere I read that the number of bars on the blanket indicated
its value in beaver pelts. But I don't know and unfortunately beaver
pelts do not play the same role in our economy they once did. "

I just picked up a 4-bar blanket at a barn sale for 2 bucks, then looked them up to see what's up with the stripes. What I learned was, the beaver-pelt-trade-story is just erroneous folklore. The HB company puts the stripes in to indicate size and weight, nothing more.

Those are some wild jackets!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I made a capote out of a red blanket back in grad school for an American Indian Art lab. It has no buttons but I did put beadwork strips around the cuffs and capping the sleeves. After looking at these pictures, I think I'll go looking for someone to put double-breasted buttons and button holes in it. Of course, the days when it ever gets cold enough to wear here are few and far between!

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Out of interest you may want to check out Monitaly.

They're a Japanese company - (of course!) - which produce a very decent looking blanket coat amongst other, vintage inspired clothing. Most likely megabucks compared with a good thrift shop find however.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Styles change with the seasons. But Pendleton has always had pretty good stuff too. Maybe it's just me living on The Left Coast that makes me partial to Pendleton Woolen Mills.

CC-1

Familiar Face
There's an NOS deadstock one of these listed on a certain popular auction site right now.
(point of info only- zero connection to person or thing at auction)

tessie

New in Town
I've wanted a bay blanket coat ever since seeing a family friend with one at a Christmas party in 2008 (pictures below).

n630485908_1085840_8642.jpg

I have this exact same point jacket, it was my grandpa's and i inherited it. I am going to list it on ebay for sale as its too big and bulky for me. I'd guess it's a man's extra large. hopefully it will go to someone who can appreciate it. *shrug*

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
I really like these coats too. I have one from Woolrich. I always thaught it was just made in the style of HB blanket coats, but I recently saw a blanket from Woolrich with the same pattdern, so I understood the coat is actually made out of one.
My girldfriend though hates it and calls it my candy-cane jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran