Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hudson's Bay point blanket coats

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've wanted a bay blanket coat ever since seeing a family friend with one at a Christmas party in 2008.

I've seen a couple of people wearing them on the street here, including one of my rock and roll heroes, who I'm going to see perform tonight.

Hudson-Bay-Scotch-Russian-Zeppelin1-224x300.jpg

I quite like the one in this picture
damn4.jpg

I decided to pull the trigger on a red one. I got it cheap, and it needs some mending, including new buttons. I think mine's an earlier one, with the buttoned belt and skeleton lining. There are ways to date the tags, but I'm not sure. We'll see if it works out.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
Congrats. I always thought HB blanket coats look so cool.

The Hudson's Bay Co. imported these blankets to the Americas to trade with the indigenous and local peoples. I believe points or stripes were meant to denote the blanket's worth.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This one sold a while back for some pretty big coin, if I recall. Very unusual cut to it. Apparently the Bay stopped making coats altogether 10 years ago due to lack of sales. The blankets themselves are still sold and depending on size range from $275 to $475.

325443283_o.jpg

325443399_o.jpg

325443177_o.jpg

325443118_o.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Certainly looks warm. not really my bag, I tend to prefer a darker overcoat, but then living in the city, something in a lighter shade can get grubby pretty quickly. A very distinctive look. Oddly enough, I don't think I'd ever seen one of these until I saw this thread yesterday, the just last evening I saw a lady at Liverpool Street Station wearing one very similar to that in the OP.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I have a capote I made from a Hudson Bay 4-point blanket. My dad made one years ago, and when I turned 13 he bought me a blanket and gave me his pattern. He did the same thing for my brother. It has a fringed hood with long tails that act as a scarf, fringed shoulders, deep turnback cuffs, and is about knee-length. It's an excellent coat. I don't have any pictures of me wearing it on my computer, though.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I'd get that white wool too grubby in no time at all. I would like a coat in red or green though.
I picked up a Hudson's Bay point blanket at a gunshow last year-it was in excellent shape,and it was a red-labelled one,which seemed to be from the 1920's-1930s. Amazing that it had no moth nips at all. I see a few of these blankets at antique shops,but they are usually pretty threadbare.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, I have a Hudson 3 bar red and black blanket on my bed.
What a feeling it would be to go from under the blanket to under
the blanket jacket. I'd probably fall asleep on the way to work.

Somewhere I read that the number of bars on the blanket indicated
its value in beaver pelts. But I don't know and unfortunately beaver
pelts do not play the same role in our economy they once did.

I love seeing these jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo