Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Humidor Recommendations

RedPop4

One Too Many
Eduard, YOU ROCK!!!!!

Maintcoder, Cuban Crafters is a solid company with good products. I interviewed their president Don Kiki Berger back in January, and I keep in contact with their head marketing guy, he's fun to talk to.

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
Eduard said:
001kast.jpg

Hope you get the idea. It's way easier to build it first and place it into the wall closset when done.

Yes that gives me a good idea of it. What type of seal are you using around the door?

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Darhling said:
Daddy!! I would give you a BIG smooch right now! You are always so kind and helpful to me. I simply love that dark cherry one, with glass top!

I'm such a big dummy! I KNEW I should have purchased that Lear when I had the chance!!!! 4,000 miles and no swin fins!!! :eusa_doh: :eek: :eusa_doh:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
rbbrock said:
For extremely tight budgets, go with a big tupperware container. If you do this, it is even more important to use a calibrated digital hygro and beads, though, because the tupperware cannot buffer humidity like a wood humidor does.

Another idea for the very budget conscious is a 50 caliber ammo can. Air and water tight. Put your cigars, in their wooden box, into the can with the humidifying device of your choice, and youre all set. Of course, you may not want to display it on your teak desk, but . . . it works.

Thompson Cigars often offers a variety of inexpensive humidors. Holt's, JR Cigars and Mikes will have some that are good to very good and fairly inexpensive pricing. I use a Sears "action packer" a kind of heavy duty plastic tub the size of a really big cooler for all of my boxed cigars. I have cellulose sponges in a plastic tube style spaghetti holder to release the water and top off the water about once a month. It stays between 65-70% for the most part. I also save the cedar wrappers and such to line the bottom of the action packer. It doesn't seal perfectly, which is actually good, if it did the cigars will get moldy. So it needs to "breathe" a bit.

Tempurature is the tough part if the house gets hot it does too, but I have it in a fairly central closet to try to moderate the changes. However I have not lost many cigars to the dreaded tobacco beetle in the last 20 years. And it allows me to age the cigars okay.
I brought some 10 year old JR cigars to my buddies house a few weeks back to enjoy.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
anyone familiar with the Madelaine Inc line of humidor accessories? ive been looking at their crystal humidifiers and drymistat tubes to help with my humidor climate...can anyone vouch for their quality or heard anything about them? good and bad... thanks...

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Sam,

From what I can tell, the Madelaine stuff looks like everyone elses'. I have heard they well, but it will all depend on the actual size of your humidor. If you have a desktop sized box, I'd say 2-3 of the tubes should cover it. Purchase away...

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know I'm late to this party but I did want to post the website of a local place here that makes excellent humidors. Everything from desktop to large furniture style cabinets is available. I have had the mini-Aristocrat model in red mahogany like the photo, but with a solid wood door, for four years and it seals great, gives me plenty of long term storage, and is really attractive piece of furniture as well. It is in the background of some of my library hat photos I think. He is expensive, but Bob Staebell does great work.

http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/aristocrat-mini.html

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
paladin, those are fantastic...

and you know the quality is top notch since its not a gigantically huge company mass producing humidors...

i would think......? lol

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SamMarlowPI said:
paladin, those are fantastic...

and you know the quality is top notch since its not a gigantically huge company mass producing humidors...

i would think......? lol

The quality is excellent. I watched them working on some cabinet models when I went to pick mine up (I live about 20 minutes away and saved $$$ in shipping). The guy I spoke with when I picked mine up was very helpful and informative. My only advice is to get a bigger one than you think you need. I wish I had.:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80