Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hunter S Thompson's THE RUM DIARY w/ Johnny Depp

Story

I'll Lock Up
s-JOHNNY-DEPP-large.jpg

Johnny Depp left his hotel in Puerto Rico earlier today and headed over to the set of The Rum Diary.

http://www.screeninglog.com/journal/2009/4/16/johnny-depp-driving-classic-car-on-rum-diary-set.html

Someone just sent me the book and it's surprisingly good. Interesting that this project started in 2003, when HST was still alive. Too bad Thompson checked himself out early.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3404272/

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - It was 1959. Fired for kicking in a candy machine at a small-town newspaper, Hunter S. Thompson fled to Puerto Rico, where his vagrant journalist lifestyle inspired his first novel, “The Rum Diary.”

Thompson's boozy year marked by cockfights, bowling alleys and pursuit of the governor’s daughter is now being made into a movie, starring Johnny Depp, who first portrayed the legendary cult writer in “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”.

“I didn’t know Johnny Depp could act until he played me,” said Thompson, 66, during a telephone interview from his home in Woody Creek, Colo. Puerto Rican native Benicio Del Toro makes his directing debut, and Nick Nolte and Josh Hartnett co-star. Shooting is scheduled to start in December.

rum_diary_depp_set1.jpg

Jay

Practically Family
I never thought this would end up getting made. Nice to see they finally got around to it. Hopefully it'll live up to the book.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I saw Hunter speak in 1986. He was 9 days + 2 hours late to the gig.

I like Johnny Depp as Hunter, but I think "Where the Buffalo Roam" is a better movie than "Fear and Loathing". I'm a big Gilliam fan, but he took a book that is supposed to be a 20th century american fantasy and made it into a horror movie. "Where the Buffalo Roam" is a lot more fun.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking forward to this one. It might not be as out there as Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas but it should prove very interesting.

So it appears that it will be directed & the screenplay done by Bruce Robinson. The only one I remember him directing is Jennifer 8, a little mind bender from the early 90's. Hope he does justice to it.

With talents like Depp, Ribisi & Eckhart it should be pretty decent in a depraved way.

Cheers!

Dan

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
DanielJones said:
I'm looking forward to this one. It might not be as out there as Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas but it should prove very interesting.

So it appears that it will be directed & the screenplay done by Bruce Robinson. The only one I remember him directing is Jennifer 8, a little mind bender from the early 90's. Hope he does justice to it.

With talents like Depp, Ribisi & Eckhart it should be pretty decent in a depraved way.

Cheers!

Dan

Bruce Robinson was Oscar nominated for his screenplay for The Killing Fields. Also, he is the writer and director of my favourite film, Withnail & I (1986), a cult classic.

I have less than zero interest in Thompson's drug addled work, but I'll see this only because of Robinson's involvement.

rustedmetal

New in Town
Anybody know where I can get Depp's jacket from the movie?

PicImg_Johnny_Depp_clutches_44f0.jpg

PicImg_Johnny_Depp_clutches_68d9.jpg

Is it a two-tone ricky? Thanks for the help

Bustercat

A-List Customer
About time.

Mahagonny Bill said:
I saw Hunter speak in 1986. He was 9 days + 2 hours late to the gig.

I like Johnny Depp as Hunter, but I think "Where the Buffalo Roam" is a better movie than "Fear and Loathing". I'm a big Gilliam fan, but he took a book that is supposed to be a 20th century american fantasy and made it into a horror movie. "Where the Buffalo Roam" is a lot more fun.

Don't know about it being a better movie, but Murray did a better thompson. More awkward clever jock and less goofy cartoon character.
You didn't find the book dark? The stuff about gluing eyelids shut, and how wretched everthing in the book gets after the hotel?
I never thought it was about fantasy as much as a grim discovery.

Chas

One Too Many
rustedmetal said:
Anybody know where I can get Depp's jacket from the movie?

PicImg_Johnny_Depp_clutches_44f0.jpg

PicImg_Johnny_Depp_clutches_68d9.jpg

Is it a two-tone ricky? Thanks for the help

Uhhh. Yeah. A really nice one, too. The elastic at the back has gone, like most of them, but yes, it certainly appears to be one. You might be able to find one somewhere, but expect to pay top $$ for it. I don't know of any companies that make repros, but somebody should. I'll bet ya it's reversible as well. Very nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats