Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rum Diary

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A merger is in this thread's future.

post-68-023248700%201277767082.png

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...M-DIARY-w-Johnny-Depp&highlight=The+Rum+Diary

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...t-in-Puerto-Rico-1960&highlight=The+Rum+Diary

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?48253-Rum-Diary-Movie&highlight=The+Rum+Diary

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've read the book some time ago. Can't remember scenes like in the trailer. Just more frustration, sweat and hangovers. But looks like a nice movie anyway.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Never seen a jewel incrusted turtle before

Supposedly the Belle Epoque dandy Robert de Montesquio (who was the model for Baron de Charlus in Marcel Proust's novels) got bored with hi carpet and had one done up...

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I thoroughly enjoyed the film, with the exception of the drug scene, and the final words at the end... I felt them both to be tagged on in a very jarring way. The film would have been sublime without them.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Saw the latest Johnny Depp Hunter S. Thompson extravaganza yesterday and I liked it a hell of a lot despite the rushed ending, but it's the journey, not the destination blah blah blah. Besides, how many movies these days still feature drinking, drugging, and cock fighting? There were six people total in the 12:15pm showing of The Rum Diary, which is no surprise given the soul-deadening trademark of this friggin' town.

It was good to see Depp in something besides those idiotic pirates movies and looking good, though even the Great Depp is aging. This was evident in a scene on the floating dock when his hair looked a strange color black that could only be blamed on hair dye and his face occasionally looking "worked on." His frameless sunglasses looked like the kind of junk I used to sell many years ago. I liked his blue sport coat, however.

There was some nice political commentary as well, but the best line was the one about "Human beings are the only creatures on earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one."

Hunter S. Thompson...so like Hemingway: a drunkard, a gun enthusiast, and a suicide. Now there's a mix that doesn't make for a long life...

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
I'm with Mr. Vim - they shoved in some bits which are not in the book... which wouldn't bother me if they added to the film in some way, but they detracted from them. Also, parts of the book which I thought were very grim and desperate were kind of brushed over in the film. It was worth seeing, but read the book first!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I very much enjoyed this movie!

First, read the book. The book, obviously, is much funnier and much more powerful. It's a great novel from a budding American novelist before things got...twisted. I also agree that there are portions of the book which are quite dark, mean, sad, that are more or less glossed over in the film.

Second, the film is a little low key and not whiz bang. Although the actors are excellent and really drive the entertainment, I think one should approach this film to simply watch a story unfold, not to be dazzled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran