Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HWT on older goat jacket

Hi guys, I scored a 40's goat jacket, but the collar has been spread out (a la 70s style) can I use the HWT on a goat jacket with good results?
Thanks

Hi guys, I scored a 40's goat jacket, but the collar has been spread out (a la 70s style) can I use the HWT on a goat jacket with good results?
Thanks

Hopefully someone like Andrew can tell you more. I've never done that on an old jacket, so it may not work the same as a new(er) jacket. I'd probably tread carefully as it might be dried out. How about just spraying with some warm water first, then try to shape it. If that doesn't work, then I'd wait for someone to chime in with experience HWT'ing a vintage piece.

Thanks Butte! I WAS planning on wearing it out in the rain today, but that seems to have gone away now...
This jacket is in great shape, the goat doesn't seem very dry at all... I was thinking of sticking it in the dryer/ wash thing, but it has the original Rayon liner and I don't want to mess that up. It's been stuffed in a closet on a hanger it seems, so I'd like to mold the shape of it a bit.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
For reshaping the collar just soak collar in cold water and mould to shape. It will dry and firm up greatly. I've washed several goat jackets. They were new. Takes the shine off them and makes them softer but that's about it. Older veg dyed goat and the linign is fragile so take care if you wash it. With newer ones I just throw them in the washing machine with some detergent and let it go.

I washed a USW G-1 too Seb. Took the shine off and it did shrink some. I was OK though as I bought it at a higher weight and it needed to lose a little.
I out on some Pecards right after and the hide is fine.

Eric - it's still raining some here. Not much though. I just got my French "Deck Jacket" from overseas. It's from the 50's and fits well, but the sleeves could use another inch. It's in incredible shape. I might sell it though as I just got the Pike Bros N-1 Deck Jacket and it fits me a little better.
I'll post up some pics this weekend.

Thanks SEB, I'll give it a try...
goat2opt.jpg goat3opt.jpg
see what I mean? It could easily be seen as 70's, but its a 40's Gordon & Ferguson....

Attachments

• goay1opt.jpg
    goay1opt.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
It's just relaxed and spread out, it's not cut brutally, ludicrously wide like some of the 70's horrors. I wouldn't worry one bit.

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
I don't think it looks that bad at all. If it bothers you there is the option of having a shoe-repair guy or a seamstress install collar snaps. It would make the collar stay in place and you could choose the position of the collar you like best before the snaps are put in.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Tom

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Handy,

I think your fine wetting the collar and shaping it, that thing looks like it was made yesterday....Great looking jacket btw, fit is perfect,

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Handy that jacket looks like it was made yesterday to your measurements. Fantastic score! And I'm with Dinerman on this one: the collar looks proper to me

Cooperson

One Too Many
Very nice vintage jacket, you did well to find one with long enough arms, they are always too short for me. Many old jackets have collars that lie like that, looks right to me. Don't think wet and shape would hurt it but it will probably just want to flatten out again. Good fit!

Thanks for the kind comments guys!
I followed Seb's advice and used cold water to soak and mold the collar yesterday.
It worked out perfectly:
goatcollaropt.jpg
Just what I was going for.
:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo