Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am embarassed to wear a fedora

JeffW

Familiar Face
I am beyond the stage in my life that I even care what others think. I went to a University graduation on Saturday, and the man sitting across the isle from me was wearing a hat that looked just like what I was wearing. I mentioned to him I like his hat and he replied "same to ya".

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
My drama teacher is still viewing fedoras and panamas in a practical way- if it cold out, he wears a hat. If it's really sunny out, he'll wear a panama.
He was born in the early baby boomer generation- I don't want to speak for all, but I'ved read that the 50's and 60's were the first time a generation truly dressed differetly from their parents...t-shirts, jeans, sneakers. I'm slowly weaning him and starting to get him to wear his hats out during the dusk and stuff, too. I even got him to start wearing his panama with the snap brim instead of turned down all the way around.

Havana

One of the Regulars
I've never been embarassed to wear my fedoras but have been self conscious about it in the past. I started wearing them when I was a teen and never cared what people thought. I got harassed as all teens do but people generally accepted it as something "weird" that teens do. In college, I did begin to become self conscious about it. I wasn't that socially experienced amd I think I just didn't have the stones to really walk tall with a hat. Well, all that changed. With my solid self confidence and new social bravado, I found that I could wear my hats anytime and anywhere. People can tell that I am strong and won't be swayed by negative comments or disapproval. I also never offer any justification for wearing a hat. I never handle my hat shyly or hold it discreetly. I plunk it down in plain view. If you're bold, people are surprisingly more accepting. I have worn a hat everyday now for about 10 years.

Hondo

One Too Many
Andykev said:
I say TO HELL with it and FULL STEAM AHEAD! If you worry too much about it, remember, one day, your relatives will dress you for the final time, and you :eek: won't be able to say anything about it!;)

Great thought for today, another is "Talk to the hand" if any one gives you a hard time, like rude office people I'm not personal friends with, I'll ignore them, off my Xmas list.
Once they catch my drift (nothing to say to them) they'll feel like crap later.
I wear a cap at the office alot, no one gives me a hard time (its stapled on)but a fedora I'll wear outdoors, any place, not be affraid to take off (indoors) confidents’ builds character. Stand tall, theres always the middle finger lol

Pilgrim

One Too Many
My daughter was introducing me at an outside awards function for her golf team. She said "My dad is over there...in the hat. He likes hats."

She was just that matter-of-fact. And yes, it does help you be identified in a crowd. If you want to be a bank robber, go for the baseball cap.

Rundquist

A-List Customer
I think that if you are embarrassed to wear a fedora, then you shouldn't wear one. I used to be embarrassed years ago when I wore a hat (My hat wearing came about by way of an Indiana Jones fedora). I soon realized that what I was really embarrassed about was wearing a costume, not wearing a fedora. The Indiana Jones hat is just not cool. (Before I go any further I just want to say that there’s nothing wrong with the Indy hat, if that’s your thing). As soon as I started wearing hats that I thought were cool, I had no problem wearing hats. But you’ve got to have confidence that you don’t look ridicules when you wear a fedora. You just don’t “wear” a fedora. You’ve got to “own” a fedora, if you catch my meaning. I would say that a good percentage of this board goes the whole nine yards as far as vintage clothing goes (which could be seen as a different type of costume to some). That’s totally fine. But you don’t have to do that to look good in a fedora. In fact, if the fedora is ever to make a real comeback, it will be because people started wearing them again in conjunction with more contemporary clothing.

trir-vi.jpg

ps- Elvis rules.

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
I think most people that wear a fedora are usually quick witted,( at least from what I have read here) so comebacks are part of our nature..I like it when people make insults, it gives me free reign to slam whatever they are wearing.

" don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun" roddy piper:rage:

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm the type of guy that has been poked fun at for as long as I can remember. I have thick skin and a good sense of humor; it emboldens me! Hell, I wore knickers and lace up boots in High School (the '70's) and I survived that. I love to 'play dress up' I guess, but I have no problem going out in public in my fedoras or my uniform pieces. I think when one reaches my age (which shall remain secret!), one just doesn't give a dam(!) what others think or say. I like to think that I give others the necessary encouragement to be themselves and to not fear criticism. Our hats, our uniforms and our suits and jackets make us a unique part of the culture - (one that embraces tatoos, piercings and shaved heads!!!) - I tend to think that many people envy our style, our boldness and our willingness to project our own individuality. And, we are great to look at and talk about later. I love us, and I proud to be one of us.

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
About one year gone...

I bought my first fedora (since being a kid in the fiifties) a year ago and now being in a fedora is a part of me. One year gone and I wouldn't think of going out without one.

I have more friends and acquaintances say "where's your hat?" when I'm at work or anywhere indoors. I spend as much time explaining traditional gentlemanly etiquette of not wearing indoors as I do answering all the other hat-related questions...

At our company picnic a few weekends ago, I wore my Open Road-ish beige Wormser (no loss if it gets a little dirty), and two people that were at the picnic later asked where my hat was! They are so accustomed to seeing me in darker ones that it didn't register with them that I was even wearing a hat!

I guess it's like having a moustache, and shaving it off; people notice that something is different, but not sure of what it is.

So, unless you are in the witness protection program, fearlessly put a lid on it, and assert your style!

Just my opinion. Your results may vary.

Hondo

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
I'm the type of guy that has been poked fun at for as long as I can remember. I have thick skin and a good sense of humor; it emboldens me! and I survived.

Ahhh well done lad, people always poke fun, yet me sense of humor wears well, if I had the funds I'd dress up every day, wear your hat and be proud ;)

* Hey sub-quote was funny, I caught it man :eusa_clap

I am the eggman,They are the eggmen, I am the walrus
Goo goo g' joob, Goo goo g' joob, Goo goo g' goo
goo goo g' joob goo, juba juba juba, juba juba juba
juba juba juba juba, juba juba....

Russ

One of the Regulars
PutALidOnIt said:
I guess it's like having a moustache, and shaving it off; people notice that something is different, but not sure of what it is.

The few times in my life when I impulsively shaved off my beard and mustache, everybody asked me if I got a haircut! People just don't notice us as much as we think they do.

qwerty

Familiar Face
Russ said:
The few times in my life when I impulsively shaved off my beard and mustache, everybody asked me if I got a haircut!

The same thing happens to me all the time.
I just want to say that the title of this thread is a quote (look at the original post). Those are not my words. They are suposed to represent the current state of fedoras in society.

Twitch

I would say that for anyone working outside a felt fedora may not be the best choice for headwear regardless of looking goofy perceived or actually. There are many, many woven straw hats with brims wide enough to be effective in sun shielding that are not fashion statements or expensive.

Feel good about it

I have no problem wearing mine out and about. My wife is still getting used to the idea, but she'll adapt. I've only been wearing them since Feb. of this year, though I'm going to have to get a straw for warmer weather. Of course my hats are the "cowboy style" Open Roads with the front brim turned down, so they appear different from the usual fedora. I'm going to collect a few more in the more traditional style for when I'm not in boots and Wranglers. My daughter (who's 14) doesn't mind my OR out at the stables where she rides, but God forbid I have it on when I'm able to pick her up at school. I have to remind her it's my job to embarrass her in public lol lol .

I figure if I feel good wearing it ( I do ), what the hell.

GentlemanFarmer said:
My daughter (who's 14) doesn't mind my OR out at the stables where she rides, but God forbid I have it on when I'm able to pick her up at school. I have to remind her it's my job to embarrass her in public lol lol .

I figure if I feel good wearing it ( I do ), what the hell.

There you go.
Depending on how far you live from the school, you can always threaten the word they hate the most---walk. :p

Regards,

J

Tony in Tarzana

Just got my Federation Deluxe yesterday. (Ordered it on the 10th, it arrived on the 15th. I e-mailed them and asked "What did you do, send it by rocket ship?")

I'm glad I had my Stetson for a few months already, I don't think I could have pulled off the high, untapered crown of the Fed without some kind of transition period, since I hadn't had a hat for a few years.

I bashed the Fed into a teardrop or C-crown, sort of like some of the Stratoliners I've seen here, rather than going for the Indy look, and with some fine-tuning it looks great.

221b

Familiar Face
Embarrased

At first you do feel a little self conscience about wearing a dress hat. Now, I could care less.:eusa_clap I know people stare. Half are jealous they dont have the cajones to wear one, the other half are just rift-raft any way happily wearing their velour track suits with "juicy" on their bum.lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran