Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am having troubles

I have been having a hard time all of my adult life finding a good dress overcoat raincoat etc. I own one navy Pea Coat that fits beautifully but I live in Charleston South Carolina. This is too heavy even for winter here. I will let you in on this I am around 6' I have a 54" chest 46" waist. big and tall shops always have some tasteless suit they want to stick me with. I have even tried western wear and I am not wearing a drover coat to work. Depeding on the cut of a coat I can wear a 3XL or a 4XL what I am looking for is a raincoat or trenchcoat in a light to medium grade materal. Not that interested in the black leather trenchcoats I see forsale online. My wife and children told me if I got that I would have to go to that Soviet shop online and get the black leather KGB hat to wear. Just picturing that scares me.

Do any of you have an idea where I can go to find one in this size or am I just going to have to invest a large golf umbrella and a tarpolin to wear as a shawl.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Hello there, i would keep an eye out for a Burberry trench or an Acquascutum, they are lightweight enough for your climate i think, yet water resistant enough. Plus a good investement. I wear my Burberry all year round.

They do pop up on ebay. I just purchased a sixties Acquascutum on ebay recently which is shaping up quite nicely too.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Hmm... well, I have (had) the same problem. Sizewise its either its too small or you get a 6-person tent. For summer/rain I've been using an old M65 fishtail shell. But its not half that dressy, unless you go for the "mod look". My OD trenchcoat is too long, unless it really is pouring.

If you are looking for a 3/4 length, maybe a "dr who" style coat - or the style thats worn in "defiance"? Brown instead of black should get rid of the KGB quips. I moved to the UK last winter - erm, what they call "winter" and quickly figured out my wardrobe isnt up to par, so i got a very plain *groan* calvin klein 3/4 coat thats some micro-porous-whatever. Does the job even i look like a pillock.

CC-1

Familiar Face
Here's one possibility: Scroll down about halfway in the "Sale" tab of lostworldsinc.com and find a 3/4 length safari jacket tagged at 50 but cut full to the point that it should fit a 52 (sic) or maybe a hungry 54. It's a smart look and the only question might be about its degree of water resistance but I am sure that issue could be taken care of. You could call Stuart Clurman with your measurements but keep your fingers away from the cage, he doesn't suffer fools. But his stuff's great and maybe he likes Loungers better now that we have more than tipped our hat to him lately.

Miss Sofia, I will keep an eye out on ebay. I have seen many nice things but they are never really my size.

BigHairyFinn, I have thought seriously about the the M-65 those are good coats. If I could only find one in brown or tan I would be happy. I know they make them I have seen them over the years.

CC-1 I did look at thier safari jacket I do like it but I am not sure about sizing unless I can send my dimensions to them and see if they can make to order seems they maybe able too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran