Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I bought Something Vintage! -Updated with new stuff.-

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OK. So this weekend I bought a few vintage things at the local vintage shops in Boston. For the first time ever, I have bought a vintage piece of clothing!

It might be hard to believe for those of you who know me for reasons I have discussed before, and those of you who do not know me, might be surprised that after all these years, this is my first vintage purchase beyond accessories. Well, I wanted to get some nice vintage clothes for some upcoming events with jitterbugdoll and this is what I came up with:

I got these nifty leather suspenders:

I think these will be great for wearing with my Bill's Khakis for that English Colonial look. I'll have to sew suspender buttons in a bunch of my pants.

Here's another shot:

BTW, I am also finally happy with that Borsalino. This is the one that I literally stuffed into my luggage at the last minute before I left for the QM, then straightened it out as best as I could, and wore it around the ship. Once home, I steamed it and styled it, and it came out pretty good.

Here is the vintage evening coat I picked up:

The sleeves and hem are almost comically long at present, but it is going to my tailor tomorrow. Other than that, it is in excellent condition, except for a few seams where the thread has dissolved. Once again, an easy fix.

And no, I will not be wearing the navy polka dot bowtie with it. ;) I will need some proper accouterments to go with it. BTW, the color is midnight blue like Marc Chevalier's tux at the QM.

The pants are exceptionally high, though they slipped a little for the pics, and the waist fits me perfectly. The jacket fits very well also and will look better once the sleeves are fixed.

And here is the back:

I also picked up a brown double-breasted suit with bold lapels that I do not have pictures of.

I'll post some "after" pics once I have this evening jacket tailored and cleaned.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well done! You look elegant and at home in all of it.

Glad to see you have seen the wisdom off the occasional "dumpster dive." :)

Oh, and nice digs.

Sachet

Familiar Face
Very nice! I think there's a special feeling associated with finding and wearing vintage items of such high quality. I am happy for you that you are able to enjoy your finds.

Your pictures brought something to my attention that is a totally unrelated tangent. I am slowly but surely redoing the flooring in various areas of our home and the stairs are one of the last challenges. I REALLY like the treatment you have on your stairs. Where did you find the tapestry/carpet rectangles? And how did you attach them?

If you feel a private message would be more appropriate to reply, please feel free.

Thank you....:)

...Sachet

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sachet said:
Very nice! I think there's a special feeling associated with finding and wearing vintage items of such high quality. I am happy for you that you are able to enjoy your finds.

Your pictures brought something to my attention that is a totally unrelated tangent. I am slowly but surely redoing the flooring in various areas of our home and the stairs are one of the last challenges. I REALLY like the treatment you have on your stairs. Where did you find the tapestry/carpet rectangles? And how did you attach them?

If you feel a private message would be more appropriate to reply, please feel free.

Thank you....:)

...Sachet

WooHoo, don't you look dapper!:)

Sachet, hello, I'm Daisy, Hem's roommate. The carpet on our stairs are called stair treads and they are attached by a sticky padding. It was much simpler fix to sprucing up the stairs than a runner, and a lot less expensive. There are all different types. I got mine online, but unfortunately it was so long ago I don't remember who from. I just did a search on "oriental stair treads" and a lot of stores came up. They only took 10 minutes to install, and they actually look really nice. I was worried that the sticky tape used to install them wouldn't be durable, but I have had mine for 2 years and no problems yet. They are a bit of a pain to vacuum, but other than that they are great. PM me if you have any more flooring questions:)
So sorry to go :eek:fftopic: Now, back to Mr. Jones and his new vintage goodies:)

Sachet

Familiar Face
Thanks!

Thank you so much for such a prompt and helpful reply, Daisy!

I am now excited instead of feeling overwhelmed by the stairs. I knew I didn't want to re-carpet and plain wooden stairs are so loud and slippery.

I have googled and found several sites as you mentioned, now that I know what to look for online.

I sincerely appreciate your help!

...Sachet

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
Ha ha. It's all downhill from here! Now you've broken your duck, you'll never stop buying vintage.

nice stuff. Re. the evening jacket: Did it come with the matching trousers?

bk
Yes, Baron, I believe you're right. And, around these parts, I have a certain amount of crow to eat. :D

Yes, the evening jacket came with matching trousers; the tags, buttons, materials all match. They must have been purchased together.

Thank you, Feraud, Sachet, Holly, Scott, Marc, Jay, Nick, and my roommie. Your comments and encouragement are appreciated.

So, what do you think, white bowtie, perhaps a waistcoat, certainly white braces?

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Finally joined the bandwagon, eh??? Looks good- I just bought a pair of suspenders similar to those at Brooks Bros.
Pique white bowtie, pique waistcoat, white vintage skinny-ish suspenders. You're gonna need a detachable wingtip collar shirt, too, mate! :eusa_clap

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sachet said:
Thank you so much for such a prompt and helpful reply, Daisy!

I am now excited instead of feeling overwhelmed by the stairs. I knew I didn't want to re-carpet and plain wooden stairs are so loud and slippery.

I have googled and found several sites as you mentioned, now that I know what to look for online.

I sincerely appreciate your help!

...Sachet
No Problem! I'm glad to be of help. Have fun! Just don't do a search for "architectural foam"! What cool stuff you can get made out of that!

Hem, have I told you you look dashing? Well, you look dashing:)

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
Wow, some really fine outfits there. You really do look the part. Bet nothing will stop you now getting more stuff whenever you see something that catches your eye!

Hemingway Jones said:
Yes, Baron, I believe you're right. And, around these parts, I have a certain amount of crow to eat. :D

Yes, the evening jacket came with matching trousers; the tags, buttons, materials all match. They must have been purchased together.

That's a relief. It would have been an horrific task (porbably impossible) to try to find some matching trousers if they didn't come together.

bk

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
It would have been an horrific task (porbably impossible) to try to find some matching trousers if they didn't come together.
Especially with midnight. There are so many shades and weaves. It's much easier to match up the traditional heavy black barathea (that soft-finished serge-like material).

Hem, your tails should look elegant and not show gaposis as there's a good overlap between coat front and trou. The trick will be getting a white waistcoat to cover that area – but not dip below the coat front for that "hernia belt" effect often seen among Ivy League glee clubbers and Nobel laureates.

Correct:
138_thumb.jpg
Incorrect:
n-bill-blass-full-dress-tail.jpg

You'll want a backless waistcoat which buttons (rather than buckles) behind the neck. That makes it easy to adjust the length drastically by moving the buttons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred