Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I bought Something Vintage! -Updated with new stuff.-

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:
This may be a dumb question, but would I need a midnight blue top hat to go with this? Does such a hat exist? The lapels are black satin, so so much for the sometime adage that black and blue don't go together.

I have never seen a blue top hat. Black should suit your purposes just fine. You don't need midnight blue shoes, either.

As for the adage that black and blue don't go together, leave it for the women. Pure rubbish. It's a fine combination for menswear--whether midnight blue evening clothes with black accessories (and lapels), or navy blue lounge suit with black shoes, belt, etc.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank you, Gentlemen...

... For the opinions and the advice!

I was worried that I needed to find some elusive midnight blue top hat! A black one should be much easier.

I am currently on the lookout for the tie, the waistcoat, the shirt with detatchable collar, and white suspenders. I should have to whole kit together at least before the next QM! ;) lol

Also, a note on the suspenders: they rubbed off some brown color on one of my shirts and some green tarnish from the buckle. Last night, I hit them with a nice dose of Peckard and some carefully applied Tarnex to the buckles. Now the buckles sparkle and the leather is soft and new looking. Hopefully, the color transfers will be avoided!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Orgetorix said:
I have never seen a blue top hat. Black should suit your purposes just fine. You don't need midnight blue shoes, either.

Excuse my interjection, chaps, but perhaps you are not aware that midnight blue was commonly used for mens evening wear in the 1930s as it appears MORE black under artificial light? The Prince of Wales (later King Edward) used to wear it, I hear. Just an interesting little factlet for you. :)

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Miss Sis said:
Excuse my interjection, chaps, but perhaps you are not aware that midnight blue was commonly used for mens evening wear in the 1930s as it appears MORE black under artificial light? The Prince of Wales (later King Edward) used to wear it, I hear. Just an interesting little factlet for you. :)

You're right, but it was normally just the clothing--coat and trousers--that was midnight blue, and hats and shoes and such were black. And I'm not sure I'd say it was commonly used, even in the '30s. Probably midnight blue clothes were only a very small minority of the evening wear produced and worn. Common enough to be considered acceptable, but uncommon enough to be a dandified touch. The "blacker than black" saying is the most popular explanation for why the Prince chose to do it, but its veracity is debatable. Every suit in midnight blue I've ever seen (admittedly, not many) has been quite clearly and obviously blue, not black.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Daisy Buchanan said:
They are a bit of a pain to vacuum, but other than that they are great. PM me if you have any more flooring questions:)
So sorry to go :eek:fftopic: Now, back to Mr. Jones and his new vintage goodies:)

:eek:fftopic: Had a similar "pain" when we had the townhouse and got tired of lugging the full-sized vacuum up and down stairs, using the hose-end attachments. Our fix was rather simple - I bought a handheld vacuum. Not a little rechargeable, low-suction "Dirt Devil" type but a little Red Devil corded vac. We've still got it now almost 20 years later and although we haven't had stair treads to vacuum the last 12-1/2 years, it DOES come in really handy for quick clean-ups or the car.

Jovan

Suspended
Orgetorix said:
You're right, but it was normally just the clothing--coat and trousers--that was midnight blue, and hats and shoes and such were black. And I'm not sure I'd say it was commonly used, even in the '30s. Probably midnight blue clothes were only a very small minority of the evening wear produced and worn. Common enough to be considered acceptable, but uncommon enough to be a dandified touch. The "blacker than black" saying is the most popular explanation for why the Prince chose to do it, but its veracity is debatable. Every suit in midnight blue I've ever seen (admittedly, not many) has been quite clearly and obviously blue, not black.
I'd attribute that to the effect of lightening over the decades, if the ones you saw were vintage. It tends to make black look like really dark brown over time as well. I couldn't tell Jones' formal wear was midnight blue until I read it was. Additionally, I never noticed until recently that Bond's dinner suit in Thunderball was midnight. It was very subtle, and I believe the silk facings matched. Looked beautiful.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Excellent, Hemingway!

Regarding the piquet vest, mine is backless and it bows out when I sit down. I don't know if it's because it's a cheap vest or because of my build, but I suspect a full vest would work better on me.

If in your search for a non-buckle white bow tie, you come across one that's way too long, let me know. It might fit me. lol

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Thank you all for the advice and comments. I appreciate it all.

Since I've first posted this, I have found a white tie, some white braces, and a detachable collar that fits. A friend of mine who owns a vintage clothes shop is searching his warehouse for a bib front shirt for me, preferably one that buttons up the back.

Today, I picked these up:

This is an interesting suit. It has no belt loops and no buttons for braces (I will probably sew them in), it only has these little pulls on the side. The wool is very nice and I love the peaked lapel.

Here is a jacket I picked up:

I also picked up a pair of brown braces and a handkerchief.

It was a good weekend for me. :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Coupla winners there, Jonesy. Are you getting these from those Newbury St. shops? Or are those strictly for the rube trade? (I got a swell Canali tweed coat in one in November. $100, so yes, they're a bit label-conscious, but all in all a bargain.)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fletch said:
Coupla winners there, Jonesy. Are you getting these from those Newbury St. shops? Or are those strictly for the rube trade? (I got a swell Canali tweed coat in one in November. $100, so yes, they're a bit label-conscious, but all in all a bargain.)
Thank you for your kind comments gentlemen. ;) No, this isn't from Newbury Street, but rather a place near my house.;) It's a little niche thrift store. Both of these combined were only $30. I also go to Bobby's; he tends to charge a bit more. His suits are usually over $150, but it is very high quality stuff and worth every cent.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
That grey single-breasted peak lapel job is sharp, Hem! The tie is great, too.
Thanks, Jack. The tie I found in Glendale, AZ when I was out to see jitterbugdoll last weekend. It is one of those woven wool ties with the intentionally frayed ends. :)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Thanks Feraud, My Friend. I am on a bit of a roll. :)
CharlieH. said:
Great sportsjacket! Love that glen plaid pattern
(It is glen plaid, right?)
I sure think it is and it's big enough to notice, dontcha think? ;) lol
This is a jacket begging for a red carnation!

farnham54

A-List Customer
Very nice collection you've picked up, Hem! I may find myself scouring for some more evening wear that may just be vintage.

I'm afraid my old tux seems to have shrunk; it's rate-of-shrink about linear with the amount of Pizza boxes in the room. Perhaps the particles of sauce and pepperoni in the air permeate the fabric and cause it to tense up :p

As far as the pulls on those pants go, they are a fabulous idea--I have a pair of BDUs that I use for camping/running/paintball etc. with the same system (unsure if real BDUs have this or not). This ensures that the pants will be immune to the Pizza Box Shrinking effect ;)

Lookin' good, pal.

Cheers
Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred