Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I find myself...

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Watching films such as The Untouchables (Kevin Costner, Sean Connery version) and paying more attention to the decor, furniture, clothing even in close up shots weave of jackets and suits!! And I'm actually taking screen shots of them for future reference. I did this to Saving private Ryan as well...but not to this degree. Anyone else do this? And if anyone wants a screen shot of something specific from movies, I'll gladly take it (or a few of them if they are available at different angles.) Could Indy Magnoli replicate...say a suit or a jacket from a photo?

DerMann

Practically Family
Oh, all the time. It's sort of an 'ignorance is bliss' type of thing.

Perfect example:

After I played through Bioshock (an amazing computer game set in a 1940s underwater colony), I complained to my friend that Andrew Ryan (the creator of the city) was wearing a stylistically impossible notched double breasted jacket. He had no idea what I was talking about.

Macheath

One of the Regulars
DerMann said:

Perfect example:

After I played through Bioshock (an amazing computer game set in a 1940s underwater colony), I complained to my friend that Andrew Ryan (the creator of the city) was wearing a stylistically impossible notched double breasted jacket. He had no idea what I was talking about.

That game was actually partly responsible for hurling me headlong into the golden era lifestyle. I just connected with the music in that game: Bobby Darin, The Ink Spots, and a whole host of others. Never actually played the game beyond the demo, and I stopped playing video games soon after, but I kept researching and finding fabulous music from the 30's through the early 60's.

I do the same thing with movies, citing subtle references to period music ("Oh! Did you know that...").
Always ends with my friends telling me just how little they care. :eusa_doh:

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
lol every 30 seconds I stop the film and take a screen shot of something i like or find interesting lol. Like Stones leather jacket, or the range masters sweater with the leather elbows and shoulders. Really cool stuff.

Macheath

One of the Regulars
DerMann said:
I complained to my friend that Andrew Ryan (the creator of the city) was wearing a stylistically impossible notched double breasted jacket. He had no idea what I was talking about.

:eek:fftopic:

Hmm. Easter Egg, perhaps? :) [huh]

It might be in plain sight, but the average gamer wouldn't be able to tell that there was anything wrong with a notched DB.

JennyLou

Practically Family
I love that game.
DerMann said:

Perfect example:

I think most of us are probably guilty of this! I am always looking at how they used things, what they used, what was being used for decor, etc, etc. I also like to look if there's anything that I own in the shots.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Um, welcome to my life!
Sometimes I get to write papers about my screengrabs or design costumes based on them, and then, ONLY then, is it worth it to be a Film student.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Lucky!! I just dissect them and take notes on certain features for future reference. Being a film student sounds extremely interesting, I have no artistic ability myself, besides writing and cooking. Hmmm design costumes you say? Interesting... ;) By the way, love the new avatar very pretty.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
oh, am i ever guilty of that... i will be looking at the clothing & hair, decor, etc and miss the plot (if there indeed is one) of any "period" movies.

but, my sister will from time to time, ask me to put a particular "period" into terms she can relate to ("was this before or after Jane Austen?" is a good example). but, if my opinion isn't solicited, i don't give it. lol

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Me too...

I'm doing this now too! Yes, FL has been a big influence... My favorite movies of the early 40s for this are two starring Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth, "You Were Never Lovelier" and "You'll Never Get Rich" from 1941 and 1942. Both films show a very wide range of period looks on ladies and men of various ages and social class. If you want a excellent source of this period, I highly recommend them both.

I'm not spoiled, I just have expensive tastes...

bruce wayne said:
EXACTLY!!! iand the kicker is that i have only started to do this since i started visiting here! this place has ruined me! but it is okay, i like being spoiled ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24