Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I like my Panama with no ribbon

Russ

One of the Regulars
I've only worn my Panama hat a few times because that black ribbon never seems to go with anything I would wear in the hot weather, which is decidedly casual. It always had a jarring effect (in my eyes).

A while back I decided to reblock the Panama and removed the black band -- and the sweat band. I then discovered how nice and natural the Panama looked all naked like that; the contours were no longer obstructed, and the beauty of the texture was more apparent. A perfect hat for the beach. I even liked how it felt without the sweat band so I haven't put either back in yet. It makes a great travel roll-up hat as well.

I'm aware that black Panama hat ribbons became the default style after some Queen died a long time ago. Was there ever a time when these hats were intended to be worn with no ribbon at all? When Panama hats were first invented, did they have either ribbon or sweat band, or were they au naturale like my reborn Panama?

Since summer is over in my part of the world, you have lots of time to think of an answer.

Russ

One of the Regulars
Here ya go. First, the panama on my head last summer:

ribbon_panama.JPG

And here it is today, naked in the December morning sun:

naked_panama.JPG

I confess the Panama is not my first choice in head gear, and I'm more likely to go out with a felt hat even in the summer. But a natural, care free travel hat that I can roll up and pack along as a second hat for the beach is a very attractive option. Just curious if this was the way a lot of people wore them way back when they first appeared on the scene.

Russ

One of the Regulars
The absence of ribbon shows off the crown's height better, too. BTW this was a fedora style Panama when I first bought it a few years ago, but it couldn't compete with my other fedoras. I restored it to its original shape and after I rolled it and packed it away, it decided to become an Optimo without even consulting me.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Russ said:
The absence of ribbon shows off the crown's height better, too. BTW this was a fedora style Panama when I first bought it a few years ago, but it couldn't compete with my other fedoras. I restored it to its original shape and after I rolled it and packed it away, it decided to become an Optimo without even consulting me.

:eek: Give me a few minutes to absorb that. And go roll a hat.

Russ

One of the Regulars
Ah, that subtle ridge is the result of rolling. It wasn't there before I rolled the hat.

Jay

Practically Family
Have you thought about a brown ribbon? Can it be done? Or is that some kind of Panama faux pas? Either way, it does look pretty cool without a ribbon.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Russ,

You just went back to the origins of the toquilla hat:

Since this extremely good hat raw material can be blocked in any style, it had many shapes throughout its eons long history – and most of that happened without the fedora style and the matching add-ons: ribbon and the sweatband.

The first toquilla hat depictions on those tiny 6000 years old Valdivian idols http://www.sacred-journey.com/valdiv12.jpg had quite strange forms – to me they look rather like the part of a ceremonial wardrobe of a high-priest – not beach hat. http://www.panamas.co.uk/hist_early.htm

The Conquistadores ‘discovered’ the toquilla shaped according to the 16th century Pre-Columbian hat fashion: the Indians wore the Inca-style hat bodies...finely woven bodies can be mistaken for skin: happened to the Spanish discoverers and to some sellers nowadays…ask Tango Yankee.

The Inca hat shape went down with the Inca, and the toquilla hat got the ‘sombrero’ form, typical for the Latin-American colonies.

Napoleons hat follows the 19th century hat fashion – natural crown, wide brim, like a Navy officers uniform. http://www.panamas.co.uk/hist_19c.htm

Sombrero or planter are not folded - the result would be still too large to fit in any breast pocket. Smaller hat bodies with more narrow brims are folded: Optimo is the result - you recreated it.

Mr. Borsalino and Mr. Stetson and their styles were children of the 19th century- the heavy hat blocking machinery also.

Black ribbon: got widespread as a mourning dress of empire builders after Queen Victoria died in 1901. http://www.panamas.co.uk/hist_20c.htm

The second photo testifies how nicely woven your hat body is - it looks great even without anything and holds its shape. You look like Cézanne on the photo.

The only thing I wonder about is how the straw takes the direct contact with sweat.[huh]

Regards:

Tom

fatwoul

Practically Family
I'm not all that much into panamas, but I like this one. Maybe it's because of the high untapered crown. I definitely like the idea of a bare bones hat, which can be packed away even more easily due to the absence of any trimmings.

As for other panamas, it's not that I don't like them, just that I don't really dress in a way that seems to look right with one, and I have yet to find one that doesn't make me look like an old man doing the gardening. I think maybe its because of my glasses. Like you, Russ, I am more inclined to go for a felt even in the hot weather, although I will probably wear the straw hat RBH gave me next year in Ohio. lol

Forgive me if this was already answered (once again, it's late), but where did you get this panama?

Russ

One of the Regulars
Yeah, sweat will be a big problem since it won't be hidden and I do sweat a lot. I may just wear a bandana underneath for absorbing the sweat. There's just enough room for that.

I think a thin ribbon would look good, but leaving it naked makes me feel like I'm making some kind of rebellious fashion statement. If there are no sweat band stitches to hide, then there is no compelling reason to add a ribbon.

As for where I go it, I can't remember the exact name of the vendor, but you can find that on an old thread here somewhere. But maybe you shouldn't even search for it; I was a bit disappointed with the hat when it arrived because the vendor ignored all my requests for customization (I wanted a taller straight crown). It arrived as a tapered short crown fedora with a cheap black ribbon hot glued in place! The sweat band was synthetic leather -- maybe that's why I never liked it. What you see in the photos is how it looked after a few reblocks I did myself.

I also discovered I could have gotten a better quality hat for the same money from Panama Bob, which I will do if I ever buy another Panama.

You just went back to the origins of the toquilla hat:

I'm glad to hear that. I wonder if the brimmed modern versions also started out with no ribbon.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I sent two of these to Brussels this summer. One was made by Simon Espinal (because his son was sick, what a steal!) and one was made by his wife. The man wanted all natural and he even sent us a styrofoam model of his head to make a weaving block from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24