Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
I'm tempted to order one. Whoever, I have no money and just recently bought me a Jaxon C Crown in pecan. Reading all of the posts and seeing the photos, it just makes me want one even more along with a new suit! (Hey mom! I know what I want for my birthday~)

ProfCharles

New in Town
I shouldve gotten a size up!!!

Got the carbon recently and had to spend a lot of time reading the posts here. I put the hat on and off. It fits just right NOW, but I will likely shrink and then I'm in trouble.

I had a 58 before and I guess I just dealt with the snug fit after having it for 4 yrs.

So I have a brand new unabashed carbon in 58 that would be too much of a hassle to get exchanged and I don't think anyone would want it here.

ProfCharles

New in Town
I've decided to stay...

After consulting with Hatsdirect and going through SOO many posts here, I've decided to stay with the carbon Fed IV. I really do love the hat, but it's not my first Fed. My concern was shrinkage, which I've come to terms with, especially since this will become my casual hat.
The carbon grey is a dark color with blue undertones. It's darker than the VS steel, and about the same as the charcoal except charcoal doesnt have the blue undertone.
I did a simple center dent bash, and I'm a pincher so the dents just came in after several pinches with both hands.

2013-09-10 12.15.49.jpg 2013-09-10 12.23.47.jpg 2013-09-10 12.24.06.jpg

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Oh, I have a question.

How good are the Fed IV's in summer weather? My area has the Central Coast Cali weather. It can get hot, but not normally. I've worn my wool felt Jaxon Pinch crown in 90 degree weather with very high humidity, button down long sleeve shirt and khaki pants. I've also worn black down in Pasadena during the summer with a black wool fedora I got at Target.

Moonstone Grey is my color of interest since it has a higher versatility to be worn with virtually any outift.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If you've worn a black wool hat, I don't imagine a moonstone Fed will bother you.

Remember that Akubras are worn throughout the Australian outback, and are very much designed to be tough, working hats. You may find it cooler to remove the liner entirely, or cut out the plastic on the top of the liner.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
If you've worn a black wool hat, I don't imagine a moonstone Fed will bother you.

Remember that Akubras are worn throughout the Australian outback, and are very much designed to be tough, working hats. You may find it cooler to remove the liner entirely, or cut out the plastic on the top of the liner.

That's a relief. What is the purpose of the liner? I've been wondering that since I noticed my Jaxon doesn't have one and some others do.

ProfCharles

New in Town
1) looks classy
2) keeps any hair product from staining the felt

+1 and it also helps keeps the sweat from staining the felt.

Removing the liner for a summer hat can increase the risk of staining, though some here have advised using duct tape behind the band to alleviate that problem.

Landman

One Too Many
Bandit, the liner is held in by a few drops of glue. Just pull it loose and set it aside. You can easily put it back in and the sweatband will hold it in place. I buy plain satin liners from Hatsupply.com to replace the Akubra liner with the plastic insert. They are much cooler and prevent any stains on the felt.

For those worried about size I thought I would post my size info. My head measurement for custom hats is 23 3/8" Long Oval. I just received a size 60 Heritage Grade Moonstone Fed IV and the fit is perfect. It is just a tad big and can be worn without any sizing tape behind the sweatband. After wearing it in some rain and hot weather yesterday it already feels perfect. It was also very easy to crease without any steam. Great hat!

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
Hats got here yesterday. The box looked gnarly.
Box.jpg

Everything ok inside.
open.jpg

Open crown.
grey.jpg

One bashed.
famshot.jpg

Done.
twins.jpg

These were easy to bash with some steam.

There's a little difference in size between the grey and brown one. I had to use some of the padding they came with on the grey one, not really on the brown one. Both of them now fit nice and snugly, but still have some room if ever they should shrink.

Last edited:

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Hats got here yesterday. The box looked gnarly.
Box.jpg

Everything ok inside.
open.jpg

Open crown.
grey.jpg

One bashed.
famshot.jpg

Done.
twins.jpg

These were easy to bash with some steam.

There's a little difference in size between the grey and brown one. I had to use some of the padding they came with on the grey one, not really on the brown one. Both of them now fit nice and snugly, but still have some room if ever they should shrink.

Simply beautiful.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice Dave. I think my new ones have arrived, from the Customs bill that arrived through the post yesterday. Was hoping they'd slip through like the last one...

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Very nice Dave. I think my new ones have arrived, from the Customs bill that arrived through the post yesterday. Was hoping they'd slip through like the last one...

Customs bill? Uh-oh. What's the cost of the bill? The more known, the better the purchase can be. I was unaware of a customs bill.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Customs bill? Uh-oh. What's the cost of the bill? The more known, the better the purchase can be. I was unaware of a customs bill.

I'm in the UK so mine will be different. We pretty almost always get caught with stuff from the states, but stuff from Australia often slips through. Only £31 for the two hats, but my last two purchases slipped through without any charges. Even with the extra they're still a good deal.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
I'm in the UK so mine will be different. We pretty almost always get caught with stuff from the states, but stuff from Australia often slips through. Only £31 for the two hats, but my last two purchases slipped through without any charges. Even with the extra they're still a good deal.

I'm in the US and had stuff shipped from Guam and Japan before without having to pay a custgoms bill. So I don't know if this is a regular thing or if it's some countries have it and some don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou