Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

XB234C

New in Town
My advice is go with Moonstone. It is one versatile color. From all comments I've read, Carbon Grey is very dark. I have Moonstone in my customized Fed4 as well as a Campdraft Deluxe = one color that I don't mind having in multiple styles...

Thanks. Probably will. Definitely don't want black.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Carbon is a darker grey, but for the life of me, I can't wrap my head around folks saying that it's almost black.

20121116_135432.jpg

Outdoors, overcast.
20121116_135814.jpg

Indoors, fluorescent lighting (and wet, obviously)
2011-12-01130732.jpg

Outdoors, full sun

As far as Christy's, Top Secret Hats is closing. Top Secret hats =/= Christy's, who still has their website up: http://www.christys-hats.com/

XB234C

New in Town
Carbon is a darker grey, but for the life of me, I can't wrap my head around folks saying that it's almost black.

20121116_135432.jpg

Outdoors, overcast.
20121116_135814.jpg

Indoors, fluorescent lighting (and wet, obviously)
2011-12-01130732.jpg

Outdoors, full sun

As far as Christy's, Top Secret Hats is closing. Top Secret hats =/= Christy's, who still has their website up: http://www.christys-hats.com/

Thank you. I have a hat that color. It's a good color. The pics at Hats Direct make it look almost black.

XB234C

New in Town
Top Secret Hats is different than Christy's? I thought they only sold Christy's hats on there. Another thank you!

fenris

One of the Regulars
I've always wanted a carbon gray Fed IV, but they don't deliver to the Philippines. My Fed IV was a second-hand purchase from a COW member.

Lije Baley

New in Town
Thanks to all in this thread I ordered a Heritage Fawn Fed IV. I've had a half dozen Akubras since '89, but all have been "Outback" style, Down Under, Riverina, Longreach, Coober Pedy, Lawson, and the Traveller. All but the first two are still with me, although the Longreach and Coober Pedy are showing their age. I was in Sydney in early April and tried on a new Coober Pedy and damn, it looked good. So I ordered from EA a new one and a new Traveller as my old one is badly stained (don't ask). They've not arrived, but the Fed IV from Hats Direct came last week. All my reading here gave me confidence that bashing was easy (and I've steamed life into my older hats many times). Starting with a dry bash, then a bit of steam, and finally a spray bottle of water to smooth the crown, the hat came out very nicely. I'd love to post a photo, but cannot upload one from my computer. Do I need a higher post count, or does this site not accept photos directly uploaded from personal computers?

The Fed IV is a great hat. When I worked I wore a Stetson Temple for years with my suits. It's an OK fedora, but has none of the character of the Fed IV with its vintage blocking. Now, our weather is warming up and it will be time to put the Fed IV on the shelf. Today it was a pleasure to wear the Panama I bought last November in Cuenca. So light and comfortable.

racuda

New in Town
Mine arrived in the mail yesterday after 12 days in transit. I spent those 12 days studying creases and when I finally got it I did this to it. I started with a center dent, but my tall head kept bumping the top so I put in a teardrop. Comments or suggestions?

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Mine arrived in the mail yesterday after 12 days in transit. I spent those 12 days studying creases and when I finally got it I did this to it. I started with a center dent, but my tall head kept bumping the top so I put in a teardrop. Comments or suggestions?

Looks good. I too tried to put a center dent and ended up with a c-crown. Enjoy the Fed IV, they are great hats.

Kirk

BigFitz

Practically Family

Looks good, congrats to you. I ordered one 2 days ago after agonizing whether it will "fit" me. Fingers crossed.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi

I THINK you may have had too much dent in the center because a teardrop commonly takes up more felt than a regular center dent does. If you like the teardrop, I'd forget about it. If you want to go FULL INDY, try a shallower center dent. I swapped a hat from a teardrop to a center dent and it no longer touches my head.

Hope this works!!

racuda

New in Town
So did you order your true size or go one larger?
I'm lucky in that my measured size is 59.5, so I went with a 60. With a couple of felt strips under the sweatband the fit is perfect, and I expect that over time it will be perfect without the strips.

racuda

New in Town
By the way, I went with the Deluxe and I expected to use steam like I did with my other (non-open crowned) Akubras. But after I finished dry bashing it and tweaking over the next few days, I realized there is no reason to steam it because I am 100% satisfied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany