Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas for a black dress! Make do and mend!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
The plan was to make myself something superbly festive for NY Eve and sadly, with both myself and my son succumbing to flu before Xmas I ran out of time (energy, enthusiasm...)

I have lots of off cuts of 30s and 40s prints and two basic black dresses. One floor length and one cocktail length.

So girls, ideas please. Ideally I'd like to decorate the yoke and the midriff. Both dresses are so plain that they can take pretty much anything.

Not looking to drastically alter, merely to 'spice up'

Thanks in advance, I know how super creative you all are!!!

K

x

Miss Sis

One Too Many
If you have a good floral material with a decent sized print on it, cut round some of the motifs and applique to the dress wherever you think they will look best.

Ideas :
-Round the neck, back or armhole if sleeveless/backless (very 30s)
- On the yoke, whether the shoulder or waist (more 40s)
- On the bottom of the sleeve
- Trailing down the skirt. Would be most effective on the longer dress.
- Round the hem

All these things I have seen on vintage garments so gives you some scope.

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Make do & mend!

OH Kitty I've been there befor!
Good call "Miss"!
I'd make all the hair & face shine!do you have any glitz or glitter fabric?draw the eye's UP!! toward your hair, eyes, wear a pair of flowers! one at the nape below the ear, one at the top of the temple take some glue/glitter of gold or silver (or any color you choose) make the petals glisten!dot the "stemmins" and leave the dress black to make people forget everything but your face/hair/makeup! don't forget to polish those nails bright bright bright red!
Hope This helps! but i do like the idea of Miss Sis!
Good luck! take pictures so we can see the finished result!
Happy New Year!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Many thanks both!

Well, I got some inspiration from a lovely photo on ebay of a dress I couldn't afford (can't post the link it's still active) but basically, I am almost finished.

My first thought was applique but almost all the prints are ditsy so I went for adding a finely pleated section from the v neck to just above the waist, I have red shoes so I wanted to tie it in and used a red fabric with a fine red stripe (I used it going vertically to make my enormous busooms look smaller, natch!) and self covered two buttons to finish it off. I shall take pics with my new camera (thanks to the other half!) and post after NY Eve.

Thanks girls, hope you both have a great time whatever you're doing

xx

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You inspired me!

I had a plain black chiffon bias cut dress, v-neck, high back, no sleeves - the body of the dress is very 30s looking but without sleeves did nothing for me. So last night I added pieces of black fox for as sleeves, it looks great! I will take pictures tonight (happy new Year!) and post tomorrow.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Oh I love that idea of adding fow sleeves. Brilliant!

Kitty I cannot wait to see the end result. It sounds lovely but way beyond my skills!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred