Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I had to pick one girl from the golden era

Plus-Four

New in Town
you mean this woman?

Close%2B%20Darnell%2C%20.jpg

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I agree, that Linda Darnell is stunning with those dark eyes, full lips and Mona Lisa smile. Perfectly proportioned face, too.

Now, lately, I've been madly in love with Carole Lombard and her witty charm and natural way of acting. She carries herself so naturally when acting. I especially loved her as the "scatterbrain socialite" in My Man Godfrey. I like that cooky crazy side of her. Sure, she could be very sophisticated too, but I don't think there's much fun in that. What makes her special is her crazy, witty, charming personality, or at least her ability to act that way.

I think it's fun to read her bio on imdb.com. This was kinda scary and amusing at the same time - tragicomic:

Her film To Be or Not to Be (1942) was in post-production when she died in a plane crash, and the producers decided to leave out a part that had her character ironically saying, "What can happen in a plane?"

carole_lombard_and_robert_montgomer.jpg

gable_and_lombard.jpg

clark_gable_1940_0329_carole_lombar.jpg

3064655740_666e3a7ace_o.jpg

CaroleLombard4.jpg

I'm quite drawn to the extremes here: Linda Darnell's very dark eyes as opposed to Carole Lombard's translucently blue.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
It's hard to choose just one. My consistent favorites are Norma Shearer (don't laugh, but I used to practice that hand on hip thing she did :eek:) and Kay Francis. I've never loved the TiVo as much as I did in September when Kay was TCM's star of the month. To me, she's just the epitome of a Deco dream girl.

1880956086_0a807cb4af.jpg

Esme

One of the Regulars
I used to be told I looked like Hedy Lamarr, I was named Mitzy Gale after Dorothy Gale and Mitzi Gaynor. No one has mentioned Mitzi, I don't think. I also always liked the looks worn by Bette Davis, even though she wasn't really what one would call beautiful, she certainly did the best with what she had.
As for men, I adored Rex Harrison, John Mills, DAVID NIVEN and VINCENT PRICE. Price, in Laura, steals the picture whenever he is on screen. Such a gentlemanly man. I also really liked Burt Lancaster, for a gangster type.

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
I'm going with Gene Tierney. Beyond beautiful. The hair, the skin, the eyes.. heck, even the overbite was gorgeous. Leave Her to Heaven is just the perfect movie for her. And, Laura, too - of course : )

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Personally, I do not understand the Rita Hayworth craze. ;)

No, give me the Gish sisters' sweet, boudouir doll-like innocence

gish.jpg

and some of Swanson's enigmatic allure

Gloria-760154.jpg

oh, and throw in a dash of Dietrich's cool flamboyance

1937-.jpg

ukali1066

Practically Family
Hmm...I can't think of any actresses of ANY era that I find attractive...by the very nature of the job I think....curvy/busty women are kept out of the limelight for some reason...then and now :(

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Four favorites:

Ingrid Bergman
z121657053.jpg

Ava Gardner
T169453~Ava-Gardner-Posters.jpg

1220377876_ad9dbdf1b9.jpg

Audrey Hepburn:
audrey_hepburn33.jpg

Rita Hayworth:
rita02.jpg

Also, I was watching "The Big Sleep" again and Martha Vickers was quite the sexy vixen... what legs!
marthavickers2a.jpg

More Mod than Golden Age, but I've always had a weakness for Claudien Auger... Made Thunderball my favorite Bond film as a child...

claudine-auger2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic