Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could only have one hat....

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I get anxious every time I see this thread title. I really do.
I hope never to have to decide.

BTW, classic Whippet, wolfmanjack.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
JohnnyB53 said:
Dude, it's called paragraph breaks. Try a few. Take it from an editor by trade. ;)

Winner:
longest, least edited post in a thread where a 2 to 5 word answer will due

shhhhhhhh

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Wolfmanjack said:
Without a doubt, my Stetson Whippet.
MyWhippet.jpg

Yes!

Indycop said:
I knew this one would be one of t hem before I scrolled down! I love that hat!!

You know me so well. :whistling

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't own a lightweight felt and I live in Ohio, so I need one for warm weather and one for cold.

Cold: Borsalino Savoy
It's not my best quality hat, but it's the hat I wear most often. On this ground, I've accepted that it must be my favorite.
DSC_00172.jpg

Warm: Optimo Milan
I just love this hat.
DSC_0035.jpg

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Hard One!

I do have to say... it is a very difficult answer... which Art hat???
_GDG8028.jpg

This one has certainly had a profound influence in my life but its still so hard to choose from the masterpieces ?

Outside of V.S. land my second choice would be this Borsalino...
IMG_0758.jpg

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
JohnnyB53 said:
Hmmm. I knew a guy 35 years ago who returned to Cincinnati from the West with a big, brand new chocolate brown Bailey cowboy hat. Any chance Lisa pinched it from him and gave it to you? ... Nah ... [huh]

Er....Johnny...be Good lol (thanks!)
Paul

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
Thanks Lefty, this was my first Borsalino...it will always hold a special place. The man who originally owned this hat was quite the dapper dan. He was married to one of the hoofers on the Perry Como Show...Beatrice Fontaine.

I love that kind of detail. I'm with Lefty -- that Borso is a real beaut!

Cheers,
JtL

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
WEEGEE said:
Outside of V.S. land my second choice would be this Borsalino...
IMG_0758.jpg

Great shot, Weegee! But where's your son's(?) lid?

I need those boots! What's the story - vintage or contemporary?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
While it is probably impractical, I really like the thought of only having one hat. Like Indiana Jones, his fedora is his adventure and occaisionally his dress hat. Personally, I would like a grey fedora, similar to Bogart's, which would have to be waterproof. The hat goes with anything, give me something not too out of the oridinery you can't wear with it. So far I have not found this hat, although it could be my Stetson Chatham, if I find a way to shrink it a little bit to fit my head.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
One Hat

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

10-20-2007, 11:48 AM #1
carouselvic
"A" List Customer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an excerpt from an essay
JAMES MOROE CHOATE
SOUTHWEST'S BENEFACTOR
By Beauregard Choate Moye

I shall never forget his hat. If he ever had more than one at a time, I didn't know it. He could wear but one at a time and couldn't see any sense in having one hanging on the wall and not being used. He always bought a good one and took care of it and it lasted a long time. The ones that I remember were what are generally called white hats. They were not the "white" white hats, but were what was known to the hat trade as "Belly Nutra," a grayish white. The brim was not very wide, about three and a half inches and the crown was low, and he always crushed it around the edges, so it would sit flat on top of his head. And of course the ever present chin string fastened to the hat, just over the ears to keep from losing it in a tight.

The tight came when he was chasing an animal in the brush or against the wind. The broad-brimmed high crowned hat of today, known as a stockman's hat, was unknown then, and is useless in the brush......

Mr.Choate died 8-9-1899

The one thing else that I did find out was that in spanish-speaking countries,Texas included at that time, the word nutria refers to the otter. I guess he really did like a high-end hat. The essay is a good read if your are into old west history.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
Winner:
longest, least edited post in a thread where a 2 to 5 word answer will due

shhhhhhhh
Well, go back and check my post again and you'll see what a brutal editor I can be even with myself.

And as used in your sentence, the word is "do," not "due."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany