Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you're thinking about dipping into hat auctions for the first time...

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Jim. I still got my eye, and bid, on one of yours........ I haven't gotten my first one yet, so this is what I have to look forward too? What's nice to know is that the seller posts here!

Rooster

Practically Family
Snrbfshn said:
A member PM'd me and said he's thinking about buying through auction for the first time. He had observed the detail of my auction listings and asked for any tips I had before he took the auction plunge. The reply may be useful to others; here's what I said:

I'd say first have a real good idea of your hat size and your head size. Also, as an exercise, measure your best fitting hat, both circumference and diameter (F2B and S2S). You'll find it's very hard to accurately measure the circumference because of the taper of the crown and sweatband. The lesson is it's equally hard to measure for the sellers, so be aware there could be as much as a 1/2" or 3/4" disparity between what they say and the real measure. It's easier to get the diameter correct. For my 7 1/4s, it's always real close to 8" F2B and 6 1/2" S2S. A 3/8 is likely going to be about an 1/8" wider in both directions.

And even if they get the measures correct, even if the size tag or reorder label is in the hat, it's still a crapshoot. Between different makers and the hat's age, it may be your size, but it still might not fit.

Ask a lot of questions. Is there any cracking or flaking on the sweatband? Moth holes, divots, nibbles or channels? How wide is the brim? How high is the crown? Is it really the color in the pix? Any sweat staining? If they haven't included good pix of the liner and sweat, ask them to share some with you. Ask if it smells.

Be prepared for disappointment. Of the first 3 or 4 dozen hats I bought on ebay, fully half of them I wasn't happy with for one reason or another. Bad descriptions, missized, moth holes when they said there weren't any, or they just didn't fit or look like I thought they would.

This bothered me a lot. It took a coupla years for me to understand it didn't matter. All of those "disappointments" have gone to other people. I gave some away to guys they'd fit. The rest are among the ones I listed on ebay. And truth be told, I'm going to end up with a profit because my pix and descriptions were better than the first time they were listed by others.

Other tips you'd like to add?

Great information, and thanks. You're actually the reason I found this great site, with your reference to it in your auctions. I've got my eye on several of your lids, the rest of you better watch out!:rage: LOL!

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Thanks...

Appreciate the comments. My referring guys to the Lounge with my auction listings is a good idea someone else came up with here. I'd like to see more of us do it.

Baskerville - make no mistake, the good stuff that fits stayed home: Stetson Turf Club Zephyr-Weight, Disney Robin Hood Twenty, Churchill 35, Dunlap Superior, Imperial Stetson English Homburg, Mallory Stowaway, Resistol Venetian, Knox 100 and more. Here's a link to my yahoo photos page:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/#page1
Not all my good ones are there; haven't updated it in a while.

On local sales, try vintage clothing stores, Goodwill, Salvation Army and consignment shops. It's hit and miss. I found a nice Knox 20 in a shop in Richmond, but I've never found anything here in Charlotte.

baskerville

New in Town
Whence the name "Twenty"?

I've seen different brand hats w/ the name "Twenty", Dobbs, Knox, now Disney Robin Hood. Can anyone clue me in?

baskerville said:
I've seen different brand hats w/ the name "Twenty", Dobbs, Knox, now Disney Robin Hood. Can anyone clue me in?

I've been told they are the dollar amounts the hats cost back when they were new. So a hat called a Stetson 15 was 15 bucks, a 20 was 20 bucks. Apparently marketing was less gimmicky back then. The hat cost 20 bucks, not 19.99.

baskerville said:

And those numbers had nothing to do with styles. And they weren't the only way the manufacturers distinguished one grade of hat from another. Stetson, for instance, had Royal and Royal DeLuxe grades, as well as Sovereign. They also used the X designations -- the higher the number of Xes, the better the quality of hat. Among my collection is a Stetson Fifteen (says so at the front of the sweatband) of 3X grade (says so at the side of the sweatband and on the liner), and a Stetson Twenty Sovereign.

vivaciousvivo

New in Town
Could I ask your opinions on a hat I have...?

Snrbfshn said:
A member PM'd me and said he's thinking about buying through auction for the first time. He had observed the detail of my auction listings and asked for any tips I had before he took the auction plunge. The reply may be useful to others; here's what I said:

I'd say first have a real good idea of your hat size and your head size. Also, as an exercise, measure your best fitting hat, both circumference and diameter (F2B and S2S). You'll find it's very hard to accurately measure the circumference because of the taper of the crown and sweatband. The lesson is it's equally hard to measure for the sellers, so be aware there could be as much as a 1/2" or 3/4" disparity between what they say and the real measure. It's easier to get the diameter correct. For my 7 1/4s, it's always real close to 8" F2B and 6 1/2" S2S. A 3/8 is likely going to be about an 1/8" wider in both directions.

And even if they get the measures correct, even if the size tag or reorder label is in the hat, it's still a crapshoot. Between different makers and the hat's age, it may be your size, but it still might not fit.

Ask a lot of questions. Is there any cracking or flaking on the sweatband? Moth holes, divots, nibbles or channels? How wide is the brim? How high is the crown? Is it really the color in the pix? Any sweat staining? If they haven't included good pix of the liner and sweat, ask them to share some with you. Ask if it smells.

Be prepared for disappointment. Of the first 3 or 4 dozen hats I bought on ebay, fully half of them I wasn't happy with for one reason or another. Bad descriptions, missized, moth holes when they said there weren't any, or they just didn't fit or look like I thought they would.

This bothered me a lot. It took a coupla years for me to understand it didn't matter. All of those "disappointments" have gone to other people. I gave some away to guys they'd fit. The rest are among the ones I listed on ebay. And truth be told, I'm going to end up with a profit because my pix and descriptions were better than the first time they were listed by others.

Other tips you'd like to add?

Hi!
I hope it's OK to ask your opinion on a hat I have recently obtained. Is it OK to ask some questions about this hat? I need an expert to tell me their opinion, and where else to go to but Fedora Lounge....!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
vivaciousvivo said:
Hi!
I hope it's OK to ask your opinion on a hat I have recently obtained. Is it OK to ask some questions about this hat? I need an expert to tell me their opinion, and where else to go to but Fedora Lounge....!

It sure is--as you say, what else is this place here for? Folks post pictures of their hats and ask questions about them all the time.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Viv - please ask your questions...

You'll be best served to start a new thread with your question(s). If you tack it on here fewer people will see it.

vivaciousvivo

New in Town
I'm thinkin' of putting a hat on for auction.....is it worth it?

Hey, boys in the back room.....
Tell me if this hat is worthy or not. I got me a Mallory, not a Stetson Mallory, but an original. It is The Mallory Ten....hmmm, and it is a 7 1/4. Says it's made of Pliafelt. Got a number of X5655M8 inside. It is in wonderful shape, although the lining is loose due to some tape that held it in place is all unsticky now in one place. It also has a flaking of what appears to be a cellophane? band behind the VERY pliable leather band. At least that is where I think the flakes are coming from cause the cellophane band is intact. It has a stamp inside on the band saying it was from T Ross & Co., Good Clothing, City Hall Square, Johnstown, Pa. Of course, the linings says "Mallory, Fifth Ave, New York ...for Youthful Smartness....Premier Quality". It is a very dapper taupe color. It has a 3/4" grosgrain ribbon around the hat with a string also and a covered button holding the string. The brim is 2 1/2" wide. The hat is about 4 1/2" high as it sits, crown pushed down, not up the whole way, but as it looks in the photos.{How do I get a photo in here?}
It is a nice clean hat and I see only one or two little spots that might be moth bites. Oh, and the bow has a slight crimp in it. But you boys tell me....is it worthy?
Vivacious Vivo

Sounds like you have a Mallory Ten with a wind trolley. The wind trolley button was buttoned onto your coat or shirt so your hat didn't fly off into a sea or get hit by ten cars when it flew onto the street. ;)
Originally the liner would have been sewn in. Obviously the hat has been cleaned or serviced at some time int he past and the liner was taped in instead of sewn back in. It happens not to worry.
A premier Quality Pliafelt is also an indication of a decent hat. That usually tells me that the hat is soft and has a nice smooth feel to the felt. You won't find many made like that today unless you go high end or custom.
The size is a little small at 7 1/4 but I'd bet you could sell that rather easily if you wanted to get rid of it. ;)
I am guessing your hat looks something like these:
mallory41meriddunes1.jpg

Regards,

J

So jamespowers, do you happen to know when Mallory used that "For Youthful Smartness" slogan? Like vivaciousvivo (and many others, I'm sure), I happen to have one that bears that slogan on the top of its liner. It makes me feel 20 years younger and 30 IQ points smarter every time I put it on.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Viv -- your hat would sell just fine...

Course, if you don't want to go the ebay route, that just happens to be my size. Let me know if you'd like to sell it directly.

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
Back on the EBay thing.........a note to sellers: Please put the hat size in the heading! I'm sure everyone from here does. I wish we could let the "others" know.

vivaciousvivo

New in Town
Well, I did it!

I finally listed this baby. What a job! I really wanted to be precise with the description, and you fellas helped me a bunch! I even went to the library to look up when the business that sold the hat was there. Phew!

Thanks for your input! The parts about the wind trolley & putting the size in the description line were really helpful. And I chuckle every time I think about the guy who always feels younger and smarter when he puts his on.

Thanks a bunch, you guys!
Vivacious

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy