Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Love With an Old(er) Vanson Enfield

pawineguy

One Too Many
This is one of those times I almost hesitate to post a thread, as the below jacket recently arrived to my home courtesy of @technovox, and I know he was loathe to part with it but the fit just wasn't right for him. I have no idea of the age, but it's got all Talon zips, is the thickest, heaviest Vanson I've ever held, and has beautiful fading to gray that older Vanson jackets eventually acquire. The leather is also fully broken in and incredibly supple.

I removed the sling and very slowly eased the jacket on without adjusting any straps. It was no easy feat but here's the result below. Best vintage jacket purchase I have ever made. Thank you to @technovox, a true gentleman.

Edit: My pics do a lousy job of picking up how cool the aging is on this jacket. I'll try again tomorrow with some sunlight.

IMG_0540.JPG IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0568.JPG IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0585.JPG IMG_0586.JPG IMG_0587.JPG

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That's awesome Chris! When you see the fit on these vintage jackets makes me wonder why I would ever pay a fortune for custom made ever again! Well done, great score.

Damo

A-List Customer
Yeah man that looks great!!! You did very well with that stock sized vintage Vanson!! Love it!!

Easiest brand to fall in love with! Perfect, perfect fit and perfect jacket all around. Fantastic, unpretentious wear on this jacket! Shame about the collar, though... ;)

I can't even get custom made to fit me like that!;)

Of all the custom jackets I've had and tried, none fit me as good as a second hand Vanson (in size that wasn't even supposed to fit me).

pawineguy

One Too Many
Easiest brand to fall in love with! Perfect, perfect fit and perfect jacket all around. Fantastic, unpretentious wear on this jacket! Shame about the collar, though... ;)

That's what I love about it, it's just been worn hard by someone... the funny flaps of leather near my neck I will just get used to.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Chris, as you know my concern was the Vanson would be too small for you but think the fit is pretty much nailed in this specific instance, bang on as the Scots would say. Really a good feeling to expect an incoming with fingers crossed that works out so well as this one. Ya done good buddy! :cool:

pawineguy

One Too Many
Chris, as you know my concern was the Vanson would be too small for you but think the fit is pretty much nailed in this specific instance, bang on as the Scots would say. Really a good feeling to expect an incoming with fingers crossed that works out so well as this one. Ya done good buddy! :cool:

You had me sweating this one! I didn't plan on putting it on but after I took some dimensions it seemed perfect so I had to see if I was right.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If the measurements are correct, in retrospect one should expect it to fit as it does. Post the measurements when you get a chance as I suspect it might be more or less in line with a current size 44, which measurements are shown on the Vanson website. Looks like it would also be a great bike jacket. Maybe some HWT to the collar. :D

tblay

One of the Regulars
This is one of those times I almost hesitate to post a thread, as the below jacket recently arrived to my home courtesy of @technovox, and I know he was loathe to part with it but the fit just wasn't right for him.

Of all the custom jackets I've had and tried, none fit me as good as a second hand Vanson (in size that wasn't even supposed to fit me).

I agree it's a stellar fit and a really handsome jacket. Congrats! I don't, however, get the lauding of Vanson in spite of these comments. From reading these comments, it seems that technovox ordered a Vanson for himself, but it didn't fit, and Monitor got a Vanson that's the wrong size but fits him wonderfully anyway. So the best way to get a great Vanson fit is to get the wrong size, which was intended for someone else...? How does that math work out? Just curious.

tblay, I bought mine through eBay. It's a Model B in size 38, that I purchased only because my starting bid was, by some crazy coincidence, the only bid.

My experience with Vanson is that while certain models do perhaps run one size larger, if you forget about the numbers and just get the jacket that fits you, it will fit you perfectly all around. That's the thing. For example, the Schott that I had that was supposed to be in my size, was great in the chest and shoulders, but had way too much belly room, and when I sized down, it was good only around the waist with the rest of the jacket clearly being too small. Same deal with some of the other OTR and custom made jackets (it's why I can forget about the HWM) - but never with Vanson. If you nail the right size, it's the right size all around. Well, for me at least...

You can tell that Chris got the jacket that's absolutely perfect for him; sits right everywhere, no pulling, bunching, perfect sleeve and back length - seriously, he should be using it as a template for any future custom order!

tblay

One of the Regulars
Ah, I see what you mean.

And, yeah, Chris' jacket looks damn good. Making me rethink a few things, as is often the case after pics are posted here. :)

pawineguy

One Too Many
I agree it's a stellar fit and a really handsome jacket. Congrats! I don't, however, get the lauding of Vanson in spite of these comments. From reading these comments, it seems that technovox ordered a Vanson for himself, but it didn't fit, and Monitor got a Vanson that's the wrong size but fits him wonderfully anyway. So the best way to get a great Vanson fit is to get the wrong size, which was intended for someone else...? How does that math work out? Just curious.

Technovox bought the jacket used also... it's approximately 35 years old so it could have had multiple owners at this point. I believe that Monitor's point is that you need to forget about the size on the tag and find the fit that works for you instead. Vanson's patterns tend to fit me very well, other people, not so much. No different than any other company.

technovox

One Too Many
I absolutely love vintage Vansons, the classic designs, the competition weight leather, the history. But, like a few others here, I could never get one that fit my body type right. And I’ve tried a fair share of Comets (always too short in the body, huge in the arms), Enfields (always too large in the body.) I even ordered a custom Mercury when Kim Vanson was in town, and she personally took my measurements. (It turned out to be way too tight all the way around and is currently up on ebay.) Finally, I did luck out with a vintage Vanson model F. For some reason, this is the only model that fits perfectly.

I suppose the upside here is that one man’s dilemma is another man’s solution.

The Enfield looks like it was custom made for you Chris- I’m happy it found a good home on FDL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21