Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In search of a tough as nails shearling jacket, advice needed.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I just heard back from Schott today, they said to alter my 184SM in the way that I wanted it would cost over $1500.00 USD and really wouldnt be financial worth it. They suggested I look at their 257S:

257sbrown.jpg

I emailed them back letting them know that in a size 50 or 52 the 257S would cost almost the exact same amount as the custom Aero B3 that I am considering. The custom aero's big advantage is that it will fit perfect, have full overlays on the sleeves for durability, and an oversized collar (head warmth during wind gusts / blizzards when I need to be outside)

So I ask all you knowledgeable folks this question: Seeing as I have an existing good relationship and brand loyalty with Schott, is there anything I should pay attention to with regard to weight, durability, or warmth in the 257S that a B3 from Aero wouldnt have?

FLATHEAD

New in Town
Cheap B-3 knock-offs, like the one you posted from Schott, are sold on
e-bay just about everyday for less than $400.00 US.

You can get a halfway decent one from What Price Glory for $350.00 US.
The shearling is not as long as an Aero or Eastman repro, and there is
no acrylic coating on the outside, but it has the horsehide panels on the
sleeves. All that for only a quarter of what Schott wants to charge you.

Shearling is not tough. It can rip easily if you rub against something just
slightly sharp. Thus the reason why the original B-3's, ANJ-4's, and other
flight jackets made from shearling had the outer horsehide sleeve panels.

Take a look at current examples of original B-3's from WWII that are
being sold on e-bay everyday for proof of this. How many of them do you
see with ripped or torn shearling? Alot?

And how many of them do you see with the horsehide sleeve panels ripped? Just about none?

You really should be going for a horsehide jacket with a shearling lining.

It will be tough, stand up to abuse, and it will be warm.

Jim

JLStorm

Practically Family
FLATHEAD said:
Cheap B-3 knock-offs, like the one you posted from Schott, are sold on
e-bay just about everyday for less than $400.00 US.

You can get a halfway decent one from What Price Glory for $350.00 US.
The shearling is not as long as an Aero or Eastman repro, and there is
no acrylic coating on the outside, but it has the horsehide panels on the
sleeves. All that for only a quarter of what Schott wants to charge you.

Shearling is not tough. It can rip easily if you rub against something just
slightly sharp. Thus the reason why the original B-3's, ANJ-4's, and other
flight jackets made from shearling had the outer horsehide sleeve panels.

Take a look at current examples of original B-3's from WWII that are
being sold on e-bay everyday for proof of this. How many of them do you
see with ripped or torn shearling? Alot?

And how many of them do you see with the horsehide sleeve panels ripped? Just about none?

You really should be going for a horsehide jacket with a shearling lining.

It will be tough, stand up to abuse, and it will be warm.

Jim
\

I havent seen any horsehide jackets with enough shearling to match the warmth of the B3 style :( Thats why the plants for full horsehide overlays on the sleeves of the B3 from Aero.

JLStorm

Practically Family
John Lever said:
I don't think Aero and Schott are in the same league !

Its very odd to me that their prices are certainly in the same league. I feel like Im missing something that Schott must have to offer for THAT price. Is Schott overpriced or is Aero just selling cheaply for their quailty???

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
If I were looking for the biggest, heaviest, toughest sheepskin lined jacket, I think you need look no further than the Aero Barnstormer. In FQHH I'll bet it weighs 7 or 8 lbs.

One downside I can think of is that would take a l-o-n-g time to break-in, but I can't imagine you could wear it out.

Check out this link: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17176229

What a beautiful piece of work. A jacket of a lifetime.

JLStorm

Practically Family
DJS Press said:
If I were looking for the biggest, heaviest, toughest sheepskin lined jacket, I think you need look no further than the Aero Barnstormer. In FQHH I'll bet it weighs 7 or 8 lbs.

One downside I can think of is that would take a l-o-n-g time to break-in, but I can't imagine you could wear it out.

Check out this link: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17176229

What a beautiful piece of work. A jacket of a lifetime.

lol....your gonna hate this, but its just not my style. Why cant they make something like that in a b3 type jacket...why!

EDIT: The more I look at the barn stormer the more I think I would like it if the belt wasnt there an the collar was enlarged...so its a possibility...but it really doesnt look nearly as warm as a b3

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Call or e-mail Mark Moye at Aero Leather USA and tell him what you're looking for. Aero does specials all the time. I'll bet they can pull it off.

One of the cool things about Aero's is you can customize them so that NOBODY else has a jacket just like yours.

Check it out. You'll never know otherwise.

JLStorm

Practically Family
DJS Press said:
Call or e-mail Mark Moye at Aero Leather USA and tell him what you're looking for. Aero does specials all the time. I'll bet they can pull it off.

One of the cool things about Aero's is you can customize them so that NOBODY else has a jacket just like yours.

Check it out. You'll never know otherwise.

Well, I talked to Amanda today and she said that the Barnstormer is actually warmer than the B3! I would have never guessed that by looking at them. I'll ask them about some customization and see what they say. Its a very expensive jacket though...very expensive :(

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
If I may suggest....

There's nothing wrong with working with Aero directly. I bought a jacket from them once, and Amanda was a big help. However, if you go through Mark Moye, you pay the same price you would if buy direct from Aero, but with no import duties. That can be significant on a purchase like that. I paid about 60 bucks duty when I got my Highwayman, but when I ordered my Long Half Belt through Mark there was no duty.

A shearling Barnstormer is probably one of the most expensive coats that Aero sells, but I don't think you can find better workmanship or quality materials anywhere. If you never wear it out, and it never goes out of style, even at over a thousand bucks it's a great VALUE.

To put it in perspective, you can spend the same amount for a lightweight lambskin Ralph Lauren jacket made in China that is in no way custom, nor even interesting. I'll put my money on the Aero being the last one standing.

I'm tellin' you.... Aero is the way to go. No matter where you go wearing that shearling Barnstormer, you'll have the most badass jacket in the room.

I sell expensive capital equipment (up to a million bucks). I tell my customers "The slight sting you feel investing in the best always goes away quickly, while the bitter aftertaste of "making do" lingers on for as long as you own the product -- no matter what it is."

No, I'm not shilling for Aero. I'm just an enthusiastic fan.

JLStorm

Practically Family
DJS Press said:
If I may suggest....

There's nothing wrong with working with Aero directly. I bought a jacket from them once, and Amanda was a big help. However, if you go through Mark Moye, you pay the same price you would if buy direct from Aero, but with no import duties. That can be significant on a purchase like that. I paid about 60 bucks duty when I got my Highwayman, but when I ordered my Long Half Belt through Mark there was no duty.

A shearling Barnstormer is probably one of the most expensive coats that Aero sells, but I don't think you can find better workmanship or quality materials anywhere. If you never wear it out, and it never goes out of style, even at over a thousand bucks it's a great VALUE.

To put it in perspective, you can spend the same amount for a lightweight lambskin Ralph Lauren jacket made in China that is in no way custom, nor even interesting. I'll put my money on the Aero being the last one standing.

I'm tellin' you.... Aero is the way to go. No matter where you go wearing that shearling Barnstormer, you'll have the most badass jacket in the room.

I sell expensive capital equipment (up to a million bucks). I tell my customers "The slight sting you feel investing in the best always goes away quickly, while the bitter aftertaste of "making do" lingers on for as long as you own the product -- no matter what it is."

No, I'm not shilling for Aero. I'm just an enthusiastic fan.

Can Mark Moye take custom orders? I was under the impression he just sold the stock coats made to order. I would have a few things changed about the barnstormer that are custom. I have already started talking to Aero, Im not sure how it would be taken if I took the advice that they gave me and went to Mark. But Any money saved would really help.

I'll have to look into this. BTW, I like your statement about buying the best...I'll have to see if my budget will allow the purchase and what the cost of the changes would be.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Hey, I'd just call him at: (803) 787-3020

Tell him what you're searching for, and if it can be done, I'm sure he can do it. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with dealing with Aero directly, except for the time zone issue and the fact that you'll likely have to pay a hefty import duty. Mark is right here on the east coast, and he seems to always be online or near a phone.

Rufus

Practically Family
JLS, if you contact Mark or Amanda, they will help you get the coat you want.

in my experience Aero are the most personal, cooperative, and attentive of all the high end jacket manufacturers.

They are expensive, but with good reason, top materials, top craftmanship, great aftercare, and brilliant communication.

I honestly can not think of another company who offer this sort of service.

Good luck!
Rufus

JLStorm

Practically Family
I talked to Amanda and she said that everything that I wanted could be done for a very very small premium. She said that the Barnstormer is 100% more durable than a B3 and that its also much warmer. I do not plan to order anything yet as I want to think about it and see if I find anything else that I like better. It sounds like if I order by September I should have it by January when I need it.

I may contact Mark to see if he can place the order for me when I make my decision in order to save on import taxes. The total cost, not including any taxes would be about $1100.00 USD, which is a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it sounds like it would be worth it if I can come up with the money.

Rufus

Practically Family
JLS,

the Aero jacket will outlive YOU. It's a great investment in terms of quality and wear.

I learned much to my cost the error of going with lesser, or seemingly cheaper, manufacturers.

:) Ruf

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Come on.... just order it. You know you're going to anyway. I swear, when you get it you'll sit there and say to yourself "How could they make me this jacket and still charge ONLY $1,100?"

And if you order it now, you'll be able to start wearing it (at least a little bit) by sometime in September. (Where do you live in PA, anyway?) I guarantee that you'll appreciate the extra break-in time -- you'll need it. Aero FQHH jackets aren't for the faint-hearted.

JLStorm

Practically Family
DJS Press said:
Come on.... just order it. You know you're going to anyway. I swear, when you get it you'll sit there and say to yourself "How could they make me this jacket and still charge ONLY $1,100?"

And if you order it now, you'll be able to start wearing it (at least a little bit) by sometime in September. (Where do you live in PA, anyway?) I guarantee that you'll appreciate the extra break-in time -- you'll need it. Aero FQHH jackets aren't for the faint-hearted.

I live in Dallas, PA outside of Wilkes-Barre / Scranton area, but as mentioned previously this jacket will be mainly for use in other areas as I travel about 90% of the time. The reason I am waiting is two-fold:
  1. I was convinced I would go with a B3, now Im convinced I shold go with the barnstormer: I want to make sure next week or the week after I wont be convinced I should go with another brand.
  2. I am making some alterations to the jacket and I want to make sure that I dont think of anything else I want to change after I place the order.

The changes I am planning on making are as follows:
  • removing the belt loops and belt as they can to easily get caught on equipment or machinery.
  • Removing the cuff straps for the same reason
  • doubling the size of the shaw collar to protect my ears and head against wind gusts and the sudden ice storms during those REALLY cold days
  • possibly removing the upper pockets, but undecided on that one.

My one major issue with the barnstormer is that it has buttons whcih can easily get snagged on things and get ripped off. I prefer zippers for this reason.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
JLStorm said:
I live in Dallas, PA outside of Wilkes-Barre / Scranton area, but as mentioned previously this jacket will be mainly for use in other areas as I travel about 90% of the time. The reason I am waiting is two-fold:
  1. I was convinced I would go with a B3, now Im convinced I shold go with the barnstormer: I want to make sure next week or the week after I wont be convinced I should go with another brand.
  2. I am making some alterations to the jacket and I want to make sure that I dont think of anything else I want to change after I place the order.

The changes I am planning on making are as follows:
  • removing the belt loops and belt as they can to easily get caught on equipment or machinery.
  • Removing the cuff straps for the same reason
  • doubling the size of the shaw collar to protect my ears and head against wind gusts and the sudden ice storms during those REALLY cold days
  • possibly removing the upper pockets, but undecided on that one.

My one major issue with the barnstormer is that it has buttons whcih can easily get snagged on things and get ripped off. I prefer zippers for this reason.

I live in Bucks County about 90 minutes or so from you. I also travel a lot. Been averaging over 100,000 air miles per year for quite a while now. I can't imagine how many flight attendants have commented on the weight of my Aero's when they hang them up. "Wow. This feels like 3 jackets!"

Did you ask if they would make you a Barnstormer with a zipper instead of buttons? Sounds like you have everything else down pretty good. I wouldn't worry about the buttons too much in any case, though. I'm sure they're top quality, and not likely to get snagged and torn off.

Do your research. I'd be amazed if you didn't come back to the Barnstormer, though.

JLStorm

Practically Family
DJS Press said:
I live in Bucks County about 90 minutes or so from you. I also travel a lot. Been averaging over 100,000 air miles per year for quite a while now. I can't imagine how many flight attendants have commented on the weight of my Aero's when they hang them up. "Wow. This feels like 3 jackets!"

Did you ask if they would make you a Barnstormer with a zipper instead of buttons? Sounds like you have everything else down pretty good. I wouldn't worry about the buttons too much in any case, though. I'm sure they're top quality, and not likely to get snagged and torn off.

Do your research. I'd be amazed if you didn't come back to the Barnstormer, though.

I was thinking of asking them about a zipper, but then I couldnt really figure out where it would zip. Since its double breasted, it makes a zipper somewhat difficult. You have any ideas?

Seems like we probably travel about the same. I fly about 8 - 12 flights a month, but dont work oversears as much as I used too if I can help it so Ive cut down a bit of airtime...which has also cut down on my first class upgrades so no one really hangs my jackets much anymore :( First class is definitely the only way to fly!!!

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
JLStorm said:
I was thinking of asking them about a zipper, but then I couldnt really figure out where it would zip. Since its double breasted, it makes a zipper somewhat difficult. You have any ideas?

Seems like we probably travel about the same. I fly about 8 - 12 flights a month, but dont work oversears as much as I used too if I can help it so Ive cut down a bit of airtime...which has also cut down on my first class upgrades so no one really hangs my jackets much anymore :( First class is definitely the only way to fly!!!

If you're a US Airways guy it's quite likely that we have seen each other on flights before. I fly out of Philly -- mostly to LA or Chicago lately, but my territory is North America so I can end up just about anywhere. And you're right, first class is the way to go -- even if it's just for the more comfortable seat and getting off the plane fast. I probably get upgraded about 90% of the time for the past five years. Air travel ain't what it once was, but flying coach just sucks.

Forget about my zipper idea for the Barnstormer. I forgot it was double-breasted, so that would take a pretty major redesign. I think my Long Half Belt is the longest body length Aero that still has a zipper. Those buttons should be fine -- can't imagine them getting ripped out of that horsehide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot