Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In search of a tough as nails shearling jacket, advice needed.

JLStorm

Practically Family
DJS Press said:
If you're a US Airways guy it's quite likely that we have seen each other on flights before. I fly out of Philly -- mostly to LA or Chicago lately, but my territory is North America so I can end up just about anywhere. And you're right, first class is the way to go -- even if it's just for the more comfortable seat and getting off the plane fast. I probably get upgraded about 90% of the time for the past five years. Air travel ain't what it once was, but flying coach just sucks.

Forget about my zipper idea for the Barnstormer. I forgot it was double-breasted, so that would take a pretty major redesign. I think my Long Half Belt is the longest body length Aero that still has a zipper. Those buttons should be fine -- can't imagine them getting ripped out of that horsehide.

I used to fly US Air when I lived in the philly area between 2002 and 2005 (I lived near valley forge for a few years), but since 2005 I have flown continental, NWA, and Delta exclusively. My current airport has 7 gates but only 2 seem to work at a time and there is NEVER a line for the TSA. I have been out in CA quite a bit lately too. Next few weeks are easy flights to ATL, but I get to finally try out my Clear card...hopefully that cuts down on the lines.

I really only get upgraded when I fly out of major Continental locations (unless its SFO...never for SFO for some reason) as they are my main carrier. Hopefully I will get to cut down on travel soon (praying lol).

About the barnstormer, its not that Im worried about the buttons or the horsehide, Im thinking that the thread would be the weakest link and should a button rip out, I would be fearful of allowing anyone other than Aero fix it, which would be one heck of a shipping charge. Thats pretty much my only reservation on the custom coat that I would order.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I talked to Amanda again today (she has been SO helpful) and she stated that they could put in a zipper on the inside as a substitution for the inside buttons and then keep the outermost buttons!

I think this would work just wonderfully! Im still waiting on placing my order though.

BTW, Im debating between the brown, cordovan, or vintage brown. I cant seem to find a photo of the vintage brown though. I really want the color that will best show the grain and unique markings, hues, and tones of the leather...Im not really sure which one that is though.

Edward

Bartender
JLStorm said:
BTW, Im debating between the brown, cordovan, or vintage brown. I cant seem to find a photo of the vintage brown though. I really want the color that will best show the grain and unique markings, hues, and tones of the leather...Im not really sure which one that is though.

I love the look of the cordovan, though one thing to bear in mind there is that a lot of folks have found that colour rather prone to 'bleeding' dye onto furniture, clothes, etc - there was a thread about it a while back.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Edward said:
I love the look of the cordovan, though one thing to bear in mind there is that a lot of folks have found that colour rather prone to 'bleeding' dye onto furniture, clothes, etc - there was a thread about it a while back.

That would definitely be a problem! When I spoke to Aero, they stated that if I give the brown a few years to break in, it will give me the look I am going for better than any of the others, so I think thats the way I will go. I really like cordovan in general, but with Aero's recommendation of the brown and your mention of the bleeding, I think the decision is clear.

Rufus

Practically Family
JLS... definitely go with the brown, it will break in much nicer.

The cordovan colour scuffs easily, which for you would look bad very quickly (As you've mentioned the need for heavy wear and tear).

:) Rufus

JLStorm said:
I talked to Amanda again today (she has been SO helpful) and she stated that they could put in a zipper on the inside as a substitution for the inside buttons and then keep the outermost buttons!

I think this would work just wonderfully! Im still waiting on placing my order though.

For comparison:

My "vintage Brown" Aero '30s HH HalfBelt....
100_0412.jpg

My FQHH reg Brown Aero Highwayman...
100_0410.jpg

The Vintage brown HH is grainier...and more relaxed right from the box.
HD

JLStorm

Practically Family
HoosierDaddy said:
For comparison:

My "vintage Brown" Aero '30s HH HalfBelt....
100_0412.jpg

My FQHH reg Brown Aero Highwayman...
100_0410.jpg

The Vintage brown HH is grainier...and more relaxed right from the box.
HD

I have to tell you, that surprisingly (to me anyway), I definitely like the regular brown better, the color seems to have more depth.

JL
In my opinion...Aero's hvy FOHH is just so hard to beat. I've never come across anything like it....and I've owned most all of the top makers HH utility jackets. I agree...the reg FQHH brown color is my favorite...and the "vintage" brown has a flatter finish. Aero's FQHH has a tendency to marble up nicely as well....

100_0411.jpg

HD

JLStorm

Practically Family
I posted a thread a few days ago requesting photos of people wearing Aero Shaw FQHH Barnstormers, but didnt get any replies from anyone.

Seems like many people hold a very high opinion of these jackets...any idea why I cant get any photos? I want to see how they look on a person and off of a mannequin. I see a few photos around with the regular barnstormer, but none with the Shaw collar....why?

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
JLStorm said:
I posted a thread a few days ago requesting photos of people wearing Aero Shaw FQHH Barnstormers, but didnt get any replies from anyone.

Seems like many people hold a very high opinion of these jackets...any idea why I cant get any photos? I want to see how they look on a person and off of a mannequin. I see a few photos around with the regular barnstormer, but none with the Shaw collar....why?

Have you contacted Mark Moye to see if he has any? If anybody had a photo, he'd be the guy that I'd start with.

JLStorm

Practically Family
DJS Press said:
Have you contacted Mark Moye to see if he has any? If anybody had a photo, he'd be the guy that I'd start with.

No I hadnt thought of that. I'll give it a try though, thanks.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Well I contacted Mark and he told me that its best that I work with Amanda due to the customization. I likw the LW jacket, but I want some changes and Stuard made it clear that they do not do custom work any longer (via email), so that is out.

So far my ideas are to stick with the B3 but have the full sleeves covered in horse hide and also have some horse hide overlays around the shoulders. I would also have two regular pockets and either no shearling at the cuff or zips to get the sleeves out of the way if I need to get my hands dirty or wet. Even though sheepskin doesnt seem like the best material, I think I have all the parts that rub against other areas covered. Im contemplating asking for overlays on the upper back and chest, but Im not sure if they could do that.

Aero seems much more willing to work with my requests than any other company. I would love to go american made to avoid the exchange rate, but aero just seems like the best option for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn