Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In THEIR closets...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
My dad, an upstate New York farmboy, wore shirts made from flour sacks. In the Depression, the sackmakers used water-soluble dyes, so that the flour company's logo could be easily washed away and the sacks could be made into clothing. Nice, huh?

The Depression was also the era when large manufacturers of preserves began to sell their jams and jellies in glass jars that could be reused as drinking glasses. Very nice-looking glasses, too.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I drink out of those. One of my favorite glasses is a Mason jar with a handle on it. Also, Ball and Mason still make jars that are quite pretty.

Back on topic, I think that many older homes didn't have closets at all. People used armoirs and dressers.

decodoll

Practically Family
Yes, this is true. Do a search on ebay for feedsack, and you'll come up with a ton of them. The flour companies used to use decorative prints so that people could make other things out of them after the flour was used.

Here is a picture of a purse I made out of a vintage feedsack:

cherry_purse.jpg

maisie

Practically Family
decodoll said:
Yes, this is true. Do a search on ebay for feedsack, and you'll come up with a ton of them. The flour companies used to use decorative prints so that people could make other things out of them after the flour was used.

Here is a picture of a purse I made out of a vintage feedsack:

cherry_purse.jpg

I love the fabric!!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Nice!

"I can make a dress out of a feed bag and I can make a man out of you
'Cause I'm a woman! W-O-M-A-N" --Peggy Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member