Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of recycled leather for clothing(such as leather pants)?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I bought a pair of leather pants before that was made of steerhide, which sadly ended up being too stiff for my liking(since I'm not a biker and am wearing this for fashion). I recently just saw a pair of leather pants being sold that's made from recycled leather. Is recycled leather good quality or poor quality? I have no idea about it, but I'm leaning towards thinking it's not worth it. Anyone know anything about recycled leather and the actual quality of it generally?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I found this: "recycled leather. This is produced from tiny pieces of leather that are actually disposed of as waste in tanneries. These pieces are shredded and processed into a so-called "leather wool", which can then be spun into yarn and used for new clothing. To increase the robustness and comfort of the new material, Agolde combines the leather yarn with polyester and viscose. In terms of look and feel, the new designs should not differ from conventional leather, but score points with a more positive environmental balance."

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Recycled idk.
Repurposed, heck yes.
Leather…the original green thing.

Since i was a little rugrat anytime i saw something made of leather i wondered what i could make out of it.
Still hate throwing anything away made out of leather.
Guess that seude bomber and fedora of Pops hanging on the same nail scarred me for life cause here i am with you all, lusting for leather and finding fedoras.
Always said if it ain’t leather, it ain’t shit!
Old guy out
B

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Do you have a pic?

Recycle clothing can mean many different things here. There were local second hand/vintage shops here that takes old cloths and refurbish them, I would consider these quite good, expensive though, money goes to the person doing the work.

There are also factory recycled stuff, I would assume these are old material that gets grind down and then re-bond together for new manufacturing. These I would consider less good because it's sort of a grey area of selling cheap stuff under the green brand. But it does keep people employed with the whole supply chain... Becomes a political thing and less of a green thing imo.

I would totally go for old items refurbished. New lining, new zipper, fixed up panels...etc.

Lorinz

Familiar Face
Do you have a pic?

Recycle clothing can mean many different things here. There were local second hand/vintage shops here that takes old cloths and refurbish them, I would consider these quite good, expensive though, money goes to the person doing the work.

There are also factory recycled stuff, I would assume these are old material that gets grind down and then re-bond together for new manufacturing. These I would consider less good because it's sort of a grey area of selling cheap stuff under the green brand. But it does keep people employed with the whole supply chain... Becomes a political thing and less of a green thing imo.

I would totally go for old items refurbished. New lining, new zipper, fixed up panels...etc.

The pants I am thinking of are new pants, but made from recycled leather, so more like the second thing you mentioned, and not refurbished pants. By cheap, would you say definitely not as good quality as something like say calfskin leather as an example?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart