Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy - non Indy poll

Is your thing for hats essentially connected to Indiana Jones movies?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

qwerty

Familiar Face
Is your thing for hats related to Indiana Jones movies?
Did you start wearing it for that reason or was somethig else the reason?

matei

One Too Many
I admit that I love the era, clothing and the feel connected to the films (mostly the first one), but I think that I would've worn a hat regardless.

The Raiders film just put my interest over the top! It did put me on the path to researching that era in more detail, but I wouldn't say that I'm going for a IJ vibe when I dress!

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Indy, or not to Indy, that is the question...

I got into wearing fedoras more due to the Bogart, Hat Squad thing...

Lorne

Mindraker

Familiar Face
Purely utilitarian -- I wear mine because I can't drive (health reasons). So things like going to the grocery is a pain without a hat when you come out of the grocery, it's starting to rain, and you have to lug your groceries back home.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
If it weren't for Raiders of the Lost Ark when I was 10 years old, I would probably have NEVER even thought about wearing a hat!;)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have a feeling that this will poll will probably show that most folks here who were already adults in 1981 won't point to seeing Raiders as their defining hat-interest moment.

In my own case, I had been collecting hats since I was a little kid, and I had loved/studied tons of old films featuring the days when hats were common... I was 26 when I first saw Raiders (opening day, Loew's Astor Plaza in NYC - a magnificent experience quite different from seeing a new film in today's spoiler-heavy world, as we had virtually *no* idea what to expect, and our minds were *totally* blown!), and while it certainly advanced my interest in hats, I already owned a big box full at that point!

spiridon

A-List Customer
matei said:
I admit that I love the era, clothing and the feel connected to the films (mostly the first one), but I think that I would've worn a hat regardless.

The Raiders film just put my interest over the top! It did put me on the path to researching that era in more detail, but I wouldn't say that I'm going for a IJ vibe when I dress!

Pretty much the same for me.:D

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I actually was Indy the Halloween I got my first snapbrim. I was 15, and the jacket and bullwhip were borrowed. (Thankfully, no photos are known to survive.) But I got the hat because of seeing Richard Widmark in Kiss of Death.

My favorite Jones these days is not Indiana, but Isham.

ijoneso1.jpg

Mindraker

Familiar Face
I do like the "nostalgic" feel of the fedora. Sometimes I feel like a rebel just even wearing a collared shirt tucked into my pants nowadays. It's not that hard.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I have always been into men's hats of all types from the time I was a boy.
I've always had baseball caps, in the late 1970's-1980's I wore western hats as a pre-teen and teenager for a couple years whilst that was in vogue, although both of mine were cloth--one wool, one suede.

The next high school fad was the "painters' caps" of the early 1980's. I went on a trip to D.C. with Close-Up, and one of the guys on the trip had a driving cap/be-bop hat. I think I'd already purchased it, and he gave me the courage to wear mine, which I did for a few years, through college, until I met the eventual Mrs.RedPop4 who still doesn't like hats.

She tolerates baseball caps and the canvas buckets I wear for extended outdoor activities.

I bought one fedora back in college and I wore it a few times, and that was that. It was more to be able to dress up as Jake or Elwood Blues for costume parties, even though it's not a stingy.

Back in January, Spiridon came over to watch the Super Bowl, with a few hats in tow that he generously gave to me. I've been wearing hats nearly every day since then. I DID buy an Indy at Disney/MGM Studios....you just HAVE to do that.

I've only seen parts of the third movie, I believe it is, so the movies are in no way responsible for my wearing of good hats.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Doctor Strange said:
... I first saw Raiders (opening day, Loew's Astor Plaza in NYC - a magnificent experience quite different from seeing a new film in today's spoiler-heavy world, as we had virtually *no* idea what to expect, and our minds were *totally* blown!)

Yes! I had the same opening day Raiders experience as you did, only mine was at Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood.
Exactly as you described it, too :eusa_clap

That said, I personally do not understand the endless fascination some people have for that film. Bully for them, but I don't get it and never will.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
RedPop4

:eek:fftopic: If there are any other Close Up participants, maybe we could start another Brotherhood. Just joking, it is nice however, to run into another person who had the privalage that I did as a youth. I was in the Close Up class of 1973. What a blast we had, can't say that the trip had any influence on my head wear of the time.

Feraud

Bartender
Dear old dad...

The ol' man is a hat wearer from as far back as I can remember. Everythng from fedoras, ball caps, cowboy, etc.
This is where I picked up my affinity for hats.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Marc Chevalier said:
I personally do not understand the endless fascination some people have for that film. Bully for them, but I don't get it and never will.

I think it's that there hadn't been anythign like it in a long while and when you make it a period piece it's all the better.

I myself like Romancing the Stone though I think I am in the minority.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
My hat wearing has nothing to do with this Indy person you speak of.

But my dress wearing has everything to do with Ziggy Stardust.

Bowie%20by%20jenkins%20gown%2073.jpg

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My first "real" hat I bought was a Akubra Federation. Bought because it was referred to by Indygear. I can say Indiana Jones started my interest in hats. My love of old movies and hatred of sunburns helped perpetuate my interest. The death of my father from skin cancer solidified it.
Johnny

RBH

Bartender
I wore a fedora because of my grandfather, he always had a old hat laying around and I would wear it.
Indy just made it seem OK to wear one.
I love the movies by the way.
And yes I do have a Indy fedora, an AB. Its the best fedora I have-bar none, even though I dont wear it as much as my other hats.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
nothing against Junior, but no

I always considered the fedora to be the quintessential man's hat. Assorted tings I liked (The Spirit, old Warner Bros. movies, Doc Savage, etc.) lead me to the whole fashion being desirable.

Sincerely,
The WOLF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran