Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instruments - what do you play?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I play electric bass. I have a number of them, but here I am sitting in a very messy practice room (it's also a sewing room) with my 1963 Precision bass:

Al-.jpg

Because I learned bass when playing in orchestra in Jr. High and High School, I tend to play with my thumb anchored on the base of the neck - a somewhat unusual spot for finger-style electric bass players. I do move away from that spot for certain sounds, especially when I need a more percussive attack.

max the cat

Familiar Face
instruments

cello and double bass
doubled in brass- to no great effect w/valve trombone and sousaphone.
I have an aluminum cello from circa 1940-doubtless made for educational purposes-it wouldnt surprise me to see a photo of a metal cello(or vln,) used by string playing member of Armed services orch.in WW2. I have yet to restore this- now scarce- instrument.
max

panamag8or

Practically Family
I didn't play anything....I was a drummer. Ba-dum-bum

I was in drumline for 5 years in middle and high school, then I was in the University of Florida marching band for 2 years.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I played the piano, a very long time ago. The first entire song I learned was "The Entertainer" from the movie "The Sting", still a great piece of music and one of my favorites.
In elementary school I played the fiddlesticks. A mock fiddle made of wooden spoons and some sort of string. Wow, what a sound that made. To think my poor parents had to sit through concerts of 7 year olds playing twinkle twinkle on them! And I still remember the applause and big smiles they gave after each recital. Oh, the things parents will do for their kids!

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Piano lessons age 7-15.
Electone (electronic organ) lessons age 20-25.
Then, intern-residency, marriage/family kept me too busy to keep these instruments in tune.
I gave my Electone away to my brother, and my piano in my parents home is very sadly out of tune.:(
One of these days, I am going to bring the duster out and pick up where I left off.

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
I took piano lessons throughout elementary and high school and that formed a wonderful basis for learning other things. In HS and college I played a variety of saxophones, liking the bari the best. But my true love is the bassoon, which I started freshman year of high school and continue to this day, some 35 years later. I've also messed around with electric base (early Peavey Foundation) but wouldn't really say I play it.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
boomerchop said:
I took piano lessons throughout elementary and high school and that formed a wonderful basis for learning other things. In HS and college I played a variety of saxophones, liking the bari the best. But my true love is the bassoon, which I started freshman year of high school and continue to this day, some 35 years later. I've also messed around with electric base (early Peavey Foundation) but wouldn't really say I play it.

WOO HOO another bassoonist!

Feraud

Bartender
Barbigirl said:
Do you tap, and drum everything in sight? I have know a few drummers who drum on everything. It drove me crazy.
Of course I do. I am constantly tapping a rhythm on everything. It really annoys my wife.

Marc Chevalier said:
Remember that song, "Spoonman?" Well, I tried to learn how to play the spoons as he did. Failed miserably.

An A for effort! :)

Haversack

One Too Many
Has anyone ever noticed that the class of reviled instruments, (bagpipe, hurdy-gurdy, accordian), are all instruments which allow one individual to play music and rhythm at volumes loud enough for people to dance to? A very useful ability in the world before recorded music.

Haversack.

lindylady

A-List Customer
I used to play the clarinet when I was in grade school. I still have the instrument, and may resume playing one day. Learning the violin would be lovely, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran