Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instruments - what do you play?

HoneyBee

New in Town
pgoat said:
A buddy of mine is a big uke player.

some uke tunes mixed in here: http://www.russellhubley.net/othermusic.html

If you email him (I'm sure he'd love the diversion from school & work) he'd prolly have some pointers.

Oh, thank you!! I don't know anyone else who plays, so I've been considering lessons just to make sure my technique isn't too far off-base and to get some pointers. I'll definitely ask your friend for advice. Thanks again!

Tuppence B.

New in Town
I remember starting in the school band at eight - and being presented with a huge pile of scrap metal.
"- Please pick your instrument of choice", they said! Typical low budget scenario...

Well - as a modest girl with a low alto voice - I went for the biggest thing around - and ended up as a barytone player :).

After 10 years and three bands it was over - until this christmas.

I got a surprising invitation from the regional youth band I played in at 18 that they were organizing a reunion. So - after 22 years with no practice, I am now tut - tuuting on a barytone again - great fun. In february we're having a concert - with our old director :)
So I am definitively ready for a Fedora orchestra. Just a shame that barytones can't be part of the brass gang in a really good swing band!!!!! Beautiful, but rather useless/inflexible instrument, unfortunately...

Or have any of you seen barytones in a more "swinging" environment than brass bands??

MissHannah

One Too Many
I have played the cello since I was 6... so for y'know, *a while!*
I also play guitar but I'm so lazy I've never really progressed much.

la vie en rose

New in Town
It's so interesting to read everyone's musical interests! I'm actually studying the euphonium at university, where we're also required to play the piano, sing, and compose. I've also played the tuba, (valve and tenor) trombone, french horn, and trumpet, and I own a guitar, ukulele, keyboard, panpipes, recorder and a couple of African drums. :)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I used to play trombone in a jazz band. I was no John Fedchock, but I enjoyed it. I keep thinking about picking it back up, but never seem to have the time. I can play the jaw harp really well, though.

I'd really love to learn the bagpipes. I have a practice chanter and can do the scale, but I have a really hard time covering the bottom hole. My little finger just doesn't seem to want to bend that far.

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
Started out playing accordion at mid-elementary school age. This ended when they wanted me to upgrade to one of those multi-button monsters.

Picked up drums in 5th grade and continued into college. Played in concert bands, symphonic bands, musical corps ('other than bugle' drum corps), rock bands, jazz bands, etc. Was even a music major in college for awhile.

Experimented with bassoon my senior year in high school. (Couldn't graduate at age 17 - had to find something to do to fill the day.)

After not playing for nearly 20 years, I started practicing with a pipe band. I still had the chops, but couldn't commit since my kids were young at the time.

Now, I just noodle around on my vintage Ludwig drum set and/or my '74 Fender Jazz Bass. (Yes, sometimes simultaneously.)

Bob

Meggan_Lane

Familiar Face
I have played the flute forever. I can play piano, clarinet, saxophone a bit and upright bass. I have a beautiful upright bass which is my new love:) We are spending some quality time together these days!

Meggan_Lane

Familiar Face
HoneyBee said:
Anyone here play the ukulele? I received one for my birthday (that's it in my icon) and have been trying to teach myself - so far I've gotten through "Surfer Girl" by the Beach Boys but that's it!

I also play some electric guitar and bass but I'm way out of practice.

Very Cool HoneyBee. The Ukulele is such a great instrument. I just dream of having one though:) Lucky!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Meggan's a one-woman band!

Very impressive!
If you learn a lot of jazz standards on the upright, you will not starve - good bassists are in demand.
I also have a uke, but I don't consider myself to be playing it yet - I need to get faster and know more than 3 chords! But it is SO much more portable than the baby grand.

Trickeration

Practically Family
Tuppence B The big band my husband and I were in (they play many of the L.A. swing clubs) always has a bari in the sax section. It's not used on all the charts, but on several, even has some solo's. Also, there's another band in the area that also makes great use of the bari in there's sets, too. Here's Darren, from our band The Esquires, at a CD photo shoot last year.
page111oq7.jpg

As for me, I may have posted on this thread a year or so back, but here's my current status. I'm a drummer. I play both set and hand drums, and other misc. percussion. Also sing, and dabbled in piano as a kid. As a side note (no pun intended) I also managed the rhythm section of a big band for a year.

I come from a family of musicians and now my own family is the same. My husband plays upright bass, guitar, uke, mandolin. My son plays drums and is learning electric bass, and my daughter sings. She also wants to learn bass or drums. I'm hoping she opts for bass only because she's a lefty and would mess up how my son and I have the drums set up! ;)

Blackjack

One Too Many
I'm hoping she opts for bass only because she's a lefty and would mess up how my son and I have the drums set up! ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm a lefty and learned to play right handed. The man I studied with would not let anyone play "Backwards"... It has actually become a benefit over the years as my left hand was always strong.

As far as not starving if you become a bass player, they are hard to find ( here in Chicago) but if you want to make a living in music become a ferocious reader. You"ll always get work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff