Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting Observation

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I've noticed that the difference between styles from 1956 and 1966 is very subtle if we are looking at conservative clothes from both years. However, the difference between 1966 and 1976 is very bold, especially with sport coats, suits, ties etc. The difference between 1976 and 1986 seems to be mostly toned down patterns, but not much different shape wise. It seems not much change has happened since 1986 and now. Why are these differences like this? :confused:

The late '60s cultural and social tsunami that blew through America blasted through its clothing fashions and styles as well. Until then, changes in men's clothing style were evolutionary and driven by, probably, the Boys from Marketing widening a lapel, lowering a button stance, etc., to try to sell more clothes, but the basic construct of what people wore didn't change until that late '60s.

Then, after the '60s broke down the old rules and ushered in flower-power clothing styles, fashion-wise, the wheels came off the cart in the '70s with synthetics, crazy colors, exaggerated features (think super-wide lapels, insanely flared bellbottoms) and weird experiments (leisure suits, neon colors, platform shoes for men). These outre' changes to fashion bleed into traditional menswear in ways you noted.

After that, there was an attempt in the '80s to bring traditional clothing back a bit to its historic norms, but as always, still different from before. Since then, I'd say the '90s saw traditional menswear get "big," with a lot of oversized cuts, wide legs, deep pleats, etc., which has now completely reversed where super-skinny rules with tight cuts, narrow lapels, etc.

I see more changes decade to decade than you seem to (even '56 to '66 saw a meaningful narrowing of lapels, ties, trouser widths, etc.), but clearly the '66 - '76 shift was the greatest as it reflected the broader one-time cultural and social changes taking place overall and the completely crazy things going on in popular fashion.

Guilty confession: I kind of liked those insanely flared bellbottoms. :rolleyes: Of course, I was about twelve years old at the time, so ---hopefully--- I can be forgiven for my fashion preferences at that age.

I'll forgive you if you forgive 14-year-old me of wearing of a baby blue corduroy leisure suit, purple floral satin shirt and bone colored platform shoes (with matching belt) ... to church.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Well if it's I confess time: I wore a tab collared, paisley patterned shirt with a pair of Black Watch tartan trousers in 1966. Fading Fast's tsunami analogy is right on the button. An amazing fashion tidal wave that began in Swinging London in the early 60's, went out across the world as the fans of the Brit pop groups saw the clothes that their idols wore. For fascinating reading, look up Carnaby Street, the early years.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
. . .

I see more changes decade to decade than you seem to (even '56 to '66 saw a meaningful narrowing of lapels, ties, trouser widths, etc.), but clearly the '66 - '76 shift was the greatest as it reflected the broader one-time cultural and social changes taking place overall and the completely crazy things going on in popular fashion.
No wonder I couldn't find any clothes I liked in the mid- to late Seventies!

No wonder I couldn't find any clothes I liked in the mid- to late Seventies!

I'm 52 and am the same size and shape I was when I graduated college 6'1", 150lbs and I have clothes going back to the '80s, but none from the '70s as everything was horrible then. I've always been a classic American clothes guy, but somehow even those got messed up in the '70s. While they looked normal back then, they look off somehow today.

To be fair, most clothes, even classics, still look dated to their time period. I have a grey herringbone tweed sport coat from Brooks Brothers from the mid / late '80s - pretty much as basic and classic as you can get - but it still says '80s to someone familiar with clothing styles. The cut, the height of the armholes, the width of the lapel and the combination says '80s. I have had the tailor tweak it a few times (take out some of the "bigness" of that time), so it looks okay, but still dated a bit.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
We called those 'Elephant Bells' back then ( late '60s early '70s ) Michael...:D
I was there, though my memory may be a little hazy. Ha ha. I recall opening up jeans from the knee down and sewing red paisley neckerchiefs and other such things in to make the big bells. Wild times.

The late 60s also took a spin in Edwardian inspired menswear as well. This is a Stanley Blacker blazer from the period, paired up with a 1900 era derby.
9-26-2016 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Michael

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I was there, though my memory may be a little hazy. Ha ha. I recall opening up jeans from the knee down and sewing red paisley neckerchiefs and other such things in to make the big bells. Wild times.

The late 60s also took a spin in Edwardian inspired menswear as well. This is a Stanley Blacker blazer from the period, paired up with a 1900 era derby.
9-26-2016 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Michael
I think I recall that trend. Possibly inspired by John Steed of The Avengers . . .?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Actually, 1966-1976 was not nearly as much of a seismic shift in fashion compared to earlier times! Think what a shock it must have been to the older generations, when men stopped wearing robes and started to wear Pantaloons, oh the horror! Or, after the American Revolution, when young men, including George IIIs son started to wear, gasp, trousers? Polyester and paisley suddenly seems pretty tame doesn't it?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
What's the key difference between 1980's and naughties clothing? I remember the 1980's being narrow lapels and 60's looking preppie wear.

PeterGunnLives

One of the Regulars
I think of a "Wall Street" type of look for the 1980s, with higher rise on the trousers than the ones that are currently in fashion. Pleats were more OK at that time than they are at the moment. The suit jackets and trousers had a more generous cut, and the jackets had broader shoulders. And I think the lapel notches were lower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80